OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXII - RIP Kenny Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
haha, what I find more frightening is asking anyone under 25 to write out a sentence with proper spelling and punctuation:help:
bad-grammar-bad-952rty.jpg

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Today my 7 year old asked me to make a math worksheet with “up to 3 digit” addition and subtraction. Naturally i snuck in a couple 4 digit problems. I tried to ramp up the difficulty by starting with problems where there was no “carry the 1” bullshit. Then as i was correcting her worksheet i discovered that i, a 35 year old man, no longer know how to properly do subtraction on paper.

I hear you with that.
My daughter is in 2nd grade and I have like 3 teachers sending emails of what to have her do. I just deleted them. I still have to go into work every day. Same with the wife. We have to alternate days to stay home and watch her. And they think Im gonna do their job while they get paid and sit at home??? hahaha

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I hear you with that.
My daughter is in 2nd grade and I have like 3 teachers sending emails of what to have her do. I just deleted them. I still have to go into work every day. Same with the wife. We have to alternate days to stay home and watch her. And they think Im gonna do their job while they get paid and sit at home??? hahaha

It’s going to get a lot more difficult in the next month or two. Either schools are going to roll out plans for homeschooling or they’ll be rolling it out very soon. I assume they’ll mix in video chat lessons and check ins. I’ll do my best, but my twins can’t read or write, and my 7 year old is using math strategies I’ve never seen before on mental math. I don’t feel very helpful. It does give me a greater respect for the job their teachers are doing, and without trying to sound like a dick it’s just not my job. Technically. It’s not. I’ll do my best but I’m really just winging it. Right now I’m wearing a teacher hat for half of the day and my ex takes the other half. Software analyst hat stays on most of my waking hours now.

This week i think I’ve received around 20 video clips of various teachers mailing the entire school district to say hi.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
You would think that google or the edu dept could search YouTube and create a standard daily class curriculum for kids to watch, listen to and then do their exercises. It is definitely out there in the "ether" but it seems like they prefer having everyone do their own thing which is very, very spotty to say the least. I respect the effort but the reality is there is no structure in the edu system to account for this or structure learning outside the classroom. Feels very archaic these days...

Reactions: TD Charlie

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
You would think that google or the edu dept could search YouTube and create a standard daily class curriculum for kids to watch, listen to and then do their exercises. It is definitely out there in the "ether" but it seems like they prefer having everyone do their own thing which is very, very spotty to say the least. I respect the effort but the reality is there is no structure in the edu system to account for this or structure learning outside the classroom. Feels very archaic these days...

Some are prepared others aren’t. From what I do for a living (assistive technology software) it’s been very interesting to see how this has unfolded over the past week or so. Google sent out an email today with a ton of how to resources for educators so they’re doing all they can to help.

Google are so far out ahead of everyone else (and have been for years now) with Google Classroom and Google Drive that many districts are well suited to handle distance learning. For some the issue is getting a handle on curriculum at this point

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

The Globe Trotters alays amazed me...obviously.

The thing I could never get my head around, even as an adult is how good are they really?

I remember watching them on Wild World of Sports as a kid and they literally never seemed to miss a shot. I understand that the Generals weren’t defending, and we typically only saw about 70% of the game but their shooting was still impressive.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

The Globe Trotters always amazed me...obviously.

The thing I could never get my head around, even as an adult is how good are they really?

I remember watching them on Wild World of Sports as a kid and they literally never seemed to miss a shot. I understand that the Generals weren’t defending, and we typically only saw about 70% of the game but their shooting was still impressive.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Some are prepared others aren’t. From what I do for a living (assistive technology software) it’s been very interesting to see how this has unfolded over the past week or so. Google sent out an email today with a ton of how to resources for educators so they’re doing all they can to help.

Google are so far out ahead of everyone else (and have been for years now) with Google Classroom and Google Drive that many districts are well suited to handle distance learning. For some the issue is getting a handle on curriculum at this point
The big issue with the curricula is that since not all students have access and or the supports that districts are required to provide them, districts can't even get started. It would become immediately discriminatory for districts to move forward. So teachers are doing what they can without being able to grade or provide any kind of credit towards meeting graduation requirements for the work students complete while schools are shut down. At least that's the situation at the secondary level in Massachusetts.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
The big issue with the curricula is that since not all students have access and or the supports that districts are required to provide them, districts can't even get started. It would become immediately discriminatory for districts to move forward. So teachers are doing what they can without being able to grade or provide any kind of credit towards meeting graduation requirements for the work students complete while schools are shut down. At least that's the situation at the secondary level in Massachusetts.

It’s common everywhere. This has been a struggle for a lot of the US and Canada

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It’s common everywhere. This has been a struggle for a lot of the US and Canada
The big impression around here is that this school year is done- teachers will do what they can makeshift style through June. Hopefully everyone will be back or a real plan will be in place sometime next fall.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
The big impression around here is that this school year is done- teachers will do what they can makeshift style through June. Hopefully everyone will be back or a real plan will be in place sometime next fall.

Yeah it seems that there’s two schools (pun intended ;)) of thought: shut it down and shoot for next year or full speed ahead and learn as we go

Reactions: LSCII

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It just sucks that you’re gonna see a lot of kids fall behind to start next school year. What about those already struggling? My twins for example, start kindergarten next year and that alone is a big enough transition. They were JUST starting to recognize letters and be able to spell each other’s names, so there was some good progress happening. I worry they’ll be f***ed next year.

it’s just a horrible situation for literally everybody in all walks of life.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
It just sucks that you’re gonna see a lot of kids fall behind to start next school year. What about those already struggling? My twins for example, start kindergarten next year and that alone is a big enough transition. They were JUST starting to recognize letters and be able to spell each other’s names, so there was some good progress happening. I worry they’ll be f***ed next year.

it’s just a horrible situation for literally everybody in all walks of life.

i think everyone ia hoping all this slows down soon. then hopefully with summer the virus weakens.
that way they can go back to school in june and go through the summer. oh boo hoo no summer off.
then continue next year right back up.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
i think everyone ia hoping all this slows down soon. then hopefully with summer the virus weakens.
that way they can go back to school in june and go through the summer. oh boo hoo no summer off.
then continue next year right back up.

Its not that easy. Not all staff contracts are the same length of time....and not all schools are equipped with ac. This scenario presents a huge staffing and transportation issue.
This is miserable enough for my husband and I and we don't have little kids in the house.
I cannot even image what its like with littles.

Agree with Chuck. Terrible all around. :(

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
A Maricopa Sheriff's employee has the virus. Sitting here praying it wasnt the guy I had a meeting with 2 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad