OT: Off Topic 2018 part IV - Summer is OVAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'm not posting obnoxious models or anything that are all over social media but I think these tweets from the National Weather Service about Florence are informative without being over dramatic and over reactive.

Eric Fisher from WBZ (CH4) says that this weekend we will know a lot more about where it is going to go.

A piece of trivia for everyone: it has been 27 years since a hurricane made landfall in New England. Let's all hope the streak continues and hope it goes out to sea.

Again, not trying to whip anyone into a frenzy but just trying to pass along some heads up info for those who may not watch much of the news.

:)

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Came across this on YouTube. An American dude discovering hurling and attending a game at Gaelic Park in the Bronx. Thought some of you might enjoy it and it might even give an insight into why an Irish man like myself, who grew up watching and playing hurling, might fall in love with Ice Hockey.

I've watched hurling twice, it was on NESN. Great sport!

Reactions: IrishBruinsFan

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'm not posting obnoxious models or anything that are all over social media but I think these tweets from the National Weather Service about Florence are informative without being over dramatic and over reactive.

Eric Fisher from WBZ (CH4) says that this weekend we will know a lot more about where it is going to go.

A piece of trivia for everyone: it has been 27 years since a hurricane made landfall in New England. Let's all hope the streak continues and hope it goes out to sea.

Again, not trying to whip anyone into a frenzy but just trying to pass along some heads up info for those who may not watch much of the news.

:)

Wait, Bob seriously was the last hurricane we got in MA?

Reactions: Alicat

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
You would never hear me singing that obnoxious song!
I’m a one-sport girl. I guess my song is Dirty Water or Time to Go or Nutty. :laugh:
We are toying with having Nutrocker as our entrance song at our wedding reception. Well, I actually suggested Nutrocker blended with Ozzy so it would feel like the first period. :hockey:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Wait, Bob seriously was the last hurricane we got in MA?
Direct hit wise, yes.

Made 2 landfalls in RI and then went right over the Cape Cod Canal.

Remember it vividly thanks to the massive tree branch that took out my grandparent's giant picture window

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Direct hit wise, yes.

Made 2 landfalls in RI and then went right over the Cape Cod Canal.

Remember it vividly thanks to the massive tree branch that took out my grandparent's giant picture window
I was 5 when that happened, and I remember it as well because I was convinced I was going to blow away lol.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Came across this on YouTube. An American dude discovering hurling and attending a game at Gaelic Park in the Bronx. Thought some of you might enjoy it and it might even give an insight into why an Irish man like myself, who grew up watching and playing hurling, might fall in love with Ice Hockey.

Reminds me of last year when NESN would play that commercial for the Hurling at Fenway Park with the exagerrated Irish accents every commercial break during every Red Sox game.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
you learn something new everyday. I didn't know John Ratzenberger was in Empire Strikes Back:

Interview: John Ratzenberger - Major Bren Derlin, Master of the Improv | StarWars.com
Major-Derlin-Headshot-1536x864-441008088411.jpg

Interview: John Ratzenberger – Major Bren Derlin, Master of the Improv
The veteran actor talks with a fellow Empire Strikes Back alum about Star Wars and Maj. Derlin’s career -- before and after the Battle of Hoth.

Best known as the TV show Cheers’ beloved postman raconteur, Cliff Clavin, John Ratzenberger, a.k.a. Major Bren Derlin in The Empire Strikes Back, also has garnered a loyal following from his time as Toy Story’s Hammy the Pig and many other pursuits. He’s a renaissance star who’s covered the waterfront and stood up for a number of worthy causes — most recently playing an important role as a leading spokesman for American manufacturing and Made In America. A solid New Englander originally from Bridgeport, Connecticut, Ratzenberger is now bicoastal, remaining very busy. For a full bio and more details on his many activities visit his web site at ratzenberger.com.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Reminds me of last year when NESN would play that commercial for the Hurling at Fenway Park with the exagerrated Irish accents every commercial break during every Red Sox game.

I can assure you there's nothing exaggerated about the accents in this video. Yep believe it or not that is how many of us sound.:laugh: The accents vary greatly in Ireland though. For such a small country there can be a huge difference in how someone talks, even if they only grew up 20 mins apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Just got back home to Hooksett NH here 30 minutes ago after leaving Blackwood NJ(just southeast of Philly) at 9:30am today.

My brain is like Ahhhh. AHHHH! AHHHHH!

I'm not yet accustomed to driving long distances but I have a company vehicle at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia