Speculation: Off-season UFAs

Who would you keep?

• Total voters

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Before the finals I would have signed back Perry for sure but now not so sure. He didn't show up in the finals. Maybe if he accepts minimum salary and being a 13th forward.

Armia I would bring back, max 2.5M. He was solid in the playoffs and can play anywhere in the line-up as well as PP and PK. He is still youngish and seems to be appreciated.

Danault around 4.5M is decent, nothing more.

Reactions: Revansky

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
I voted Perry and Armia.

I like Danault and i understand the defensive side of the game that he brings but i feel that one of the main reasons that we lost was the lack of scoring from our second line through the playoffs. Gallagher / Danault / Lekhonen-Evans-Toffoli (when on that line) did not generate enough chances and its very difficult to win when you have to rely on your first line for consistent goal scoring. We need to upgrade that line offensively and Gallagher isn’t going anywhere.

Reactions: MTL-rules

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Before the finals I would have signed back Perry for sure but now not so sure. He didn't show up in the finals. Maybe if he accepts minimum salary and being a 13th forward.

Armia I would bring back, max 2.5M. He was solid in the playoffs and can play anywhere in the line-up as well as PP and PK. He is still youngish and seems to be appreciated.

Danault around 4.5M is decent, nothing more.
I would offer Perry the same deal as this year, minimum salary and maybe a small bonus package, to be 4RW or at worst 13th F. Staal can look elsewhere, plus I think he wants more money than that.

Yes in principle to Armia and Danault, but we do have too many RH shooting wingers, so if we can get a Blake Coleman or Zach Hyman, I'm ok with not signing Armia back.

Reactions: salbutera

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I voted Perry and Armia.

I like Danault and i understand the defensive side of the game that he brings but i feel that one of the main reasons that we lost was the lack of scoring from our second line through the playoffs. Gallagher / Danault / Lekhonen-Evans-Toffoli (when on that line) did not generate enough chances and its very difficult to win when you have to rely on your first line for consistent goal scoring. We need to upgrade that line offensively and Gallagher isn’t going anywhere.
I'd be ok with 4,5 a year for 4 years, but he will get more elsewhere. Bye bye then.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
  1. Exactly, we barely scraped in this year in one of the easiest divisions in hockey. It was Toronto and then 6 teams trying to see who could actively not make the playoffs.
  2. Who's saying -if-; the truth is that the team has not been a legitimate play-off team by regular season outputs in 5 seasons now.
  3. They weren't, but they will be next year which is what I'm talking about.
  4. Boston may be getting older, but aren't we? Another year on Gallagher, Weber, Price - 3 guys who haven't been healthy. I don't see how this applies to one team but not ours.
  5. Some cap jail team might not make the play-offs, but I listed more than 8 teams that are currently pacing better than the Habs in regular season play and roster csontruction.
  6. No we don't have much cap space, we were capped out. You can talk about players leaving (like Tatar) but you still need to replace him with another top 6 forward and you're not getting a player much better than him at the cap hit you paid for him.
  7. Drouin will return another big contract too, if not, we've paid in youth/picks to get rid of him and I don't see a lot of people lining up to do anything but a salary swap with the entire league being crunched against the cap in a pandemic world with limited revenue.
  8. Seattle can select Ben Chiarot, so the Habs have lost one of the 4 defenseman they deemed reliable enough to play in the play-offs. You still have to replace him and even at his ability, defenseman like that cost the same cap hit, so you haven't gained anything.
  9. I don't like Buffalo or Edmonton, but I sure as hell like Tampa Bay, Chicago, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Washington - you know, all teams who went through long stretches of rebuilding then became cup winners and contenders for long periods of time.

Habs barely made the PO, It's true. But Habs also lost Carey Price for half the season and that schedule must be taken into account just like we take into account that the North Division was a weak division. Put Caufield in this season, I bet we win a bunch of overtime just with him added to the mix.

It's true also that this team were not a PO team in the last 5 years. But this team in the last 5 years didn't had Suzuki, Caufield and a lot of other good players....and we have no clue what the team will look like next year. Many UFA, lots of money, expansion draft, other kids joining in, Drouin's status etc.

We might lose Chiarot but we are able to protect 4 D also.....

At this point, you either push for the last remaining years of Price\Weber or give up and flush it all out.
Problem is, we got too many young good kids and if you give up now and for the next few years, you screw up those kids in the process (Like Buffalo or Edmonton did).

I say push it for once in Price's career and do like.....St-Louis, which you named but never did what you are saying. They have like 2 top 10 picks in the last 30 years.

Reactions: tazsub3

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
Downside to a deep payoff run is other teams my over pay our free agents.

I can see both danault and armia leaving for big pay days in term and cash elsewhere.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Depends on the price.

Wouldn't sign Armia if he asks for more than 2,5 M$ per year. Between 1,75 and 2,25 AVV for 1-3 years would be reasonable.
Wouldn't sign Danault for more than 5 m$ per year. Could live with something between 4 and 4,75 for 3 to 5 years max.
Wouldn't sign Perry for more than 1,5 M$. If it's between 1 and 1.25 m $ would be okay giving him two years because he could be buried if he regresses.

Don't sign the others.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Downside to a deep payoff run is other teams my over pay our free agents.

I can see both danault and armia leaving for big pay days in term and cash elsewhere.
IMO - It’s going to be a suppressed market like last off-season. No revenue generation for 2-seasons now, owners especially US ones won’t simply open up the vault, without having made back the $ lost

Reactions: iamtalbot

malton

Feb 17, 2009
I'm torn about our UFAs. I want to improve the top 6, but I don't see how we do that unless we move some players down the lineup.

? - Suzuki - Caufield
Toffoli - Danault - Gallagher
?- KK - Anderson
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia

Resigning Perry would kill one of those spots and if Drouin returns then we are locked in. Not to mention if Byron stays another spot is taken.

Seems to me we need to get rid of a ton of players in order to improve and I'm not sure it's feasible.

Reactions: angusyoung

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm torn about our UFAs. I want to improve the top 6, but I don't see how we do that unless we move some players down the lineup.

? - Suzuki - Caufield
Toffoli - Danault - Gallagher
?- KK - Anderson
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia

Resigning Perry would kill one of those spots and if Drouin returns then we are locked in. Not to mention if Byron stays another spot is taken.

Seems to me we need to get rid of a ton of players in order to improve and I'm not sure it's feasible.
I think Anderson is better suited to play LW, and provided the size/speed/grit factor for duo of Suzuki / Caufield

Reactions: angusyoung

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He has a M-NTC / NMC during entire duration - 6-team no trade list, NMC is so he isn’t sent to AHL. It’s not a prohibitive contract by any means
There's zero chance MB is trading him, which is very unfortunate and will end up a major issue. They could get a younger, bigger faster guy who can score 30 at that price. Gally is done. His hands are messed up. His body is banged up and he's as slow as ever.
Horrible contract.

Aces on the road

Oct 27, 2020
Danaul will get 5 mil and Armia 3,5 mil.
Habs reached SC finals so something went correct? 4 decent lines worked very well.
Only dream that Ovy would sign Habs, he want to join contender. Habs is not at least not in paper.
Interesting to see what will happen. Continue with current core or sign ”superstar”. I would go with option one. Another would need rebuild because of few bonehead contracts and trading KK and picks.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
What’s under talked about is the fact Lehkonen is going to be UFA.

Unless he accepts under 2 mill. But he’s not getting qualified at 2.4.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd keep Danault and Perry.

Armia likely will get a nice raise, he's a useful player but we need to stop spending so much on bottom six wingers.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Losing Armia wouldnt be the end of the world either

we need faster 4th liners than that
Poehling HAS to replace Staal, he just has to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad