Off-Season Thread II - Who cares.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If KH signed Yandle to that deal today, half the board would lose their ****.

3 years from now the entire board would bring up how terrible it is in every thread

Apples and oranges. I wouldn't want Ken Holland to sign him to that deal because we're never going to be good enough during the time Yandle will still be in his prime for it to be worthwhile. We already have too many of those guys.

The Panthers have essesntially replaced Brian Campbell and have improved their skill level. They've got a good amount of young talent that should continue to improve while Yandle is still a plus contributor. He's almost a lock to be a 50+ point d-man for the next 4 years.

It's an overpayment by about $1.25 million per year but that's not going to have any meaningful impact on the Panthers organization.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Apples and oranges. I wouldn't want Ken Holland to sign him to that deal because we're never going to be good enough during the time Yandle will still be in his prime for it to be worthwhile. We already have too many of those guys.

The Panthers have essesntially replaced Brian Campbell and have improved their skill level. They've got a good amount of young talent that should continue to improve while Yandle is still a plus contributor. He's almost a lock to be a 50+ point d-man for the next 4 years.

It's an overpayment by about $1.25 million per year but that's not going to have any meaningful impact on the Panthers organization.

From strictly a point production, he's not overpaid. And won't be probably for the next 3, or maybe 4 years.

But the 7 year term is the killer with this one. He could easily decline hard around 33 or 34, whenever his skating goes he is probably shot. Or he could age like Brian Campbell, who knows. But it is risky and will probably be a lousy contract his last ~3 years or so if I had to guess. Florida's not usually close to the Cap, so they probably don't care a ton.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Saw on Twitter wings may be interested in RNH. Talking about Sheahan+

Wow here's hoping that Holland will be more active at the draft then he has ever been, I know we need to find a replacement for Datsyuk and RNH would be a cheaper replacement then Stamkos and still puts up decent numbers besides. Here's hoping that maybe a deal get's done here. As much as i would love to add Stamkos for $10+M for 7 years not sure i want to do it any more when we can have RNH at $6M for like 5 more years i like that much better.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Woah, can you find the tweet? That's pretty nuts. I'd happily do Sheahan+ for RNH depending on the + of course (maybe XO+2nd rounder or something).

Probably not a reliable source. Plus, signing someone then trading him? NHL 14 taught me it can't be good for morale. :laugh:

Here's the tweet -

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Wow here's hoping that Holland will be more active at the draft then he has ever been, I know we need to find a replacement for Datsyuk and RNH would be a cheaper replacement then Stamkos and still puts up decent numbers besides. Here's hoping that maybe a deal get's done here. As much as i would love to add Stamkos for $10+M for 7 years not sure i want to do it any more when we can have RNH at $6M for like 5 more years i like that much better.

I do too. I'm officially shifting my interest for a RNH deal. Get it done Kenny!!!

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Can we throw in Ericsson and Howard!?

I wonder what kind of deal that would be

Riley, 1st or 2nd round pick, top notch prospect and young d-man?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Probably not a reliable source. Plus, signing someone then trading him? NHL 14 taught me it can't be good for morale. :laugh:

Here's the tweet -

Nielsen hosts the morning show on the local sports talk radio station, he himself wouldn't have any sources. However, I believe this originally came from Ryan Rishaug who is well connected with the oilers.

Problem is the oilers needs aren't all that different than what we need.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yup exactly, Talk is that it will probably a similar deal for Shattenkirk that Yandle just signed and that's pretty crazy.

How is that crazy? That's what offensive defenseman are worth these days. The big difference between Shattenkirk and Yandle is the length. Yandle will be 30 before the season even starts. They're almost 2.5 years apart.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Saw on Twitter wings may be interested in RNH. Talking about Sheahan+

That's sooo weird. I woke up this morning and the first thing that popped into my head was that the Wings had acquired RNH, and my half-asleep brain was like...well maybe Larkin and RNH will end up being our Bergeron/Krejci. No idea why.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Nielsen hosts the morning show on the local sports talk radio station, he himself wouldn't have any sources. However, I believe this originally came from Ryan Rishaug who is well connected with the oilers.

Problem is the oilers needs aren't all that different than what we need.

Yup if Chiarelli moves RNH it will be for a top pairing RHD i would think and for obvious reasons Detroit can't help him there. So i doubt it would ever happen.

How is that crazy? That's what offensive defenseman are worth these days. The big difference between Shattenkirk and Yandle is the length. Yandle will be 30 before the season even starts. They're almost 2.5 years apart.

Yeah i keep forgetting that Shatty is a few years younger then Yandle. Shatty will be like 28 when he signs that kind of deal compared with Yandle being almost 30 quite a big difference there would rather give that kind of money to Shattenkirk then Yandle.

Here's the tweet -

I know this is the same guy that was saying that Edmonton, Should be able to get a late 2nd or 3rd for Yakupov so he must have a little knowledge of the situation in Edmonton i would think.

Last edited by a moderator:

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I can see Edmonton asking for Howard, they may not be dead set on Talbot. But who knows maybe McClellan really wants some of his old pals like E. Sheahan and E seem like Chiarelli type players.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia

Not just you but how does anyone know how good or bad the Wings shall be next season much less two seasons from now? Time Machine? Maybe Holland is gone or Coach Blashill or maybe the Wings are better than people think. There are lots of ifs...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Very intrigued by RNH (or Eberle our any of their other young forwards), but they're like our most unlikely trade partner so Idk.

And Sheahan+ sounds like it's Sheahan + svech + or + 16OA + .. Or more

Last edited:

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I wouldn't mind a Kris Russell signing. Guy can block shots and looking at last year....our best shot blocker was DD at 107...like 80th in the league...now as a guy who is touted for his defensive play..doesn't that seem low?

by all means...correct me if I am wrong lol

Aug 6, 2012
Love the idea of RNH. Mostly because he's a kid I think you can get good value for. Thing is, if I'm Chiarelli I want defense and there's just not much we can offer in that regard.

Sheahan+Ouellet+1st? I think you are looking at a package similar to that, and not sure if that completely fits the bill or not.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Love the idea of RNH. Mostly because he's a kid I think you can get good value for. Thing is, if I'm Chiarelli I want defense and there's just not much we can offer in that regard.

Sheahan+Ouellet+1st? I think you are looking at a package similar to that, and not sure if that completely fits the bill or not.

I would even add in a prospect.

Also IMO, I think Mantha will have to be moved to obtain any significant piece...I think we hold Svech a while longer. I don't think Mantha has panned out to Wings brass liking. (I still like mantha but looking at what has been said and time up etc)

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013

If we're moving a package like that I'd rather just go for a D man, much like the Oilers would.

Aug 6, 2012
If we're moving a package like that I'd rather just go for a D man, much like the Oilers would.

Good point, I've been on that boat for a while now too when it comes to trading assets. Difference is with RNH you have an impact player down the middle who fits in perfectly with the rest of our emerging forward core. So I'm fine with a package like that going the other way.

I would even add in a prospect.

Also IMO, I think Mantha will have to be moved to obtain any significant piece...I think we hold Svech a while longer. I don't think Mantha has panned out to Wings brass liking. (I still like mantha but looking at what has been said and time up etc)

I would be fine adding B prospect or Jurco/Pulkkinen, but not much else. If we are going to add Mantha/Schvech then you might as well get that major impact defenseman we desperately need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad