Off-Season Thread II - Who cares.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe because you think that eric staal is still a good player ;)

He's like a Danny d

Hey, there's two of us here. Don't want others to have to answer for my antiquated views :)

Two things about Stall. a) the Red Wings have a gigantic need for an experienced center who can eat minutes. b) Players that were high level athletes/performers through their whole life sometimes show an aptitude for learning how to play at a slightly lower level minus a tool or two. 2016 Justin Verlander gives me hope for 2017 Stall.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hey, there's two of us here. Don't want others to have to answer for my antiquated views :)

Two things about Stall. a) the Red Wings have a gigantic need for an experienced center who can eat minutes. b) Players that were high level athletes/performers through their whole life sometimes show an aptitude for learning how to play at a slightly lower level minus a tool or two. 2016 Justin Verlander gives me hope for 2017 Stall.

He already showed he can't with the Rangers. And he was never that great

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think people agreed that Nyquist/Tatar have the value of a mid to late 1st (so 15-30) so Nyquist/Tatar+Svechnikov might get you #11. That would leave Ouellet+46 for Severson, which is not close. I'm not sure if there's anyway that we would be able to get both the 11th overall+Severson.

Nyquist/Tatar and Svech get you a hell of a lot more than the 11th pick.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
If we could land Lucic that would be incredible!! I would love Ladd as well. And I think there is something left in the tank for E Staal. Man I'd be happy with any of these moves.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He already showed he can't with the Rangers. And he was never that great

C'mon Bruce, I want nothing to do with Staal, but relax.

Dude scored 100 points in the year after the lockout, then followed it up by never getting less than 70 points the next 6 seasons, then got 53 in 48 in the next lockout year. That's a pretty great 8 season stretch.

If we could land Lucic that would be incredible!! I would love Ladd as well. And I think there is something left in the tank for E Staal. Man I'd be happy with any of these moves.

There isn't 3 free agents I want to land less...

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
C'mon Bruce, I want nothing to do with Staal, but relax.

Dude scored 100 points in the year after the lockout, then followed it up by never getting less than 70 points the next 6 seasons, then got 53 in 48 in the next lockout year. That's a pretty great 8 season stretch.

There isn't 3 free agents I want to land less...

When your one of the teams only forwards getting tons of ice time you should probably get more points then 60. He has sucked for the past 2-3 years

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Staal has been washed up since his knee injury from the World Championships in the summer of 2013.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When your one of the teams only forwards getting tons of ice time you should probably get more points then 60. He has sucked for the past 2-3 years

:rolleyes:

You said he was never that great, I don't care how bad he was last season, don't undersell his previous achievements because you don't want him on the team - it's unnecessary.
I wouldn't call the previous 2 seasons (13-14,14-15) BAD, more mediocre for him considering his previous 8, he had a combined 115 points in 156 games.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
:rolleyes:

You said he was never that great, I don't care how bad he was last season, don't undersell his previous achievements because you don't want him on the team - it's unnecessary.
I wouldn't call the previous 2 seasons (13-14,14-15) BAD, more mediocre for him considering his previous 8, he had a combined 115 points in 156 games.

You can be bad and still be one of the best forwards on a team. :laugh:

Maybe mediocre is the word. But that's a mediocre season with tons of ice time and being the teams number one forward in terms of ice time. You know how bad he would do with less ice time? He doesn't thrive against weaker players. Look at his time with the rangers

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You can be bad and still be one of the best forwards on a team. :laugh:

Maybe mediocre is the word. But that's a mediocre season with tons of ice time and being the teams number one forward in terms of ice time. You know how bad he would do with less ice time? He doesn't thrive against weaker players. Look at his time with the rangers

dosent every teams best player(forward) get the most ice time?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Eric Staal was a top end player for a lot of his career

But he also has had very little competition for his job for quite a few years there in Carolina, a lot of their Cs are clearly worse (defensive oriented/ bottom 6 or 4th line type Cs, or else just young)

I only watched him occasionally in the last couple of years as my time spent watching NHL hockey has dwindled in the last little while, but he seemed to be mailing it in pretty frequently when I saw him. Very little jam/ hustle to his game and also has a pretty good history of embellishment.

He isn't an awful NHLer, but he will probably not be worth whatever he gets in July. And if you were frustrated by Franzen -- you'd be getting more of the same with E. Staal.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Eric Staal was a top end player for a lot of his career

But he also has had very little competition for his job for quite a few years there in Carolina, a lot of their Cs are clearly worse (defensive oriented/ bottom 6 or 4th line type Cs, or else just young)

I only watched him occasionally in the last couple of years as my time spent watching NHL hockey has dwindled in the last little while, but he seemed to be mailing it in pretty frequently when I saw him. Very little jam/ hustle to his game and also has a pretty good history of embellishment.

He isn't an awful NHLer, but he will probably not be worth whatever he gets in July. And if you were frustrated by Franzen -- you'd be getting more of the same with E. Staal.

No Staal, now wingers. Anything but centers or defense is treading water.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Staal certainly has all the markings of a Ken Holland signing. He's a veteran. He's a safe bet. He's a superstar in name. He fills a position of need to stabilize the forward group.

I honestly wouldn't hate it if the Wings were a little closer to contending. It didn't work out for New York, but the move made a lot of sense for them to try. The Wings should certainly set their sights on younger assets though. And if anybody is going to be over 30, the contracts should be short and manageable.

The Richards deal, while it didn't really bear fruit, didn't hurt the team given they were still "going for it" with Datsyuk in the fold. The departure of Datsyuk changes the entire narrative. There's no more last hurrah, the hurrahs are over. Time to move forward.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The Richards deal, while it didn't really bear fruit, didn't hurt the team given they were still "going for it" with Datsyuk in the fold. The departure of Datsyuk changes the entire narrative. There's no more last hurrah, the hurrahs are over. Time to move forward.

Totally agree.

We shouldn't be signing anyone over 30.

I mean Lucic is a dick. But he is a good player.
Okposo is a good player
Ladd is a good player
Staal is a good player.

Most are declining. The main problem though is they are all too old.
I am not one of those guys trying to do a full rebuild here. but I am for us playing all of our young players MORE.

Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, AA, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Abdelkader, Glendenning, Mantha, Sheahan

Most of these guys represent our top lines.
Its time to give them the ice time. No more declining has beens.

These guys might surprise us all and make the playoffs... we wont know unless we try. But I would prefer Stamkos or nothing for Datsyuk's money.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Still blows my mind that they haven't traded a winger for a defenseman.

They currently have a better crop of wingers than defensemen.
They have a better prospect pipeline of wingers than defensemen.
Historically, they have had significantly better success drafting wingers than defensemen.

Ship Nyquist and a pick off for a 2nd pairing guy already, and it will start to make more sense to go after Stamkos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad