Off-Season Thread II - Who cares.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
I was hoping for Yandle or Fowler. I think we're probably not getting Stamkos. He's likely using us to squeeze more money out of Toronto. There won't be many more offense guys after that. So I think instead we should do something to really improve our defense. Let's get that first pair guy.

If we focus on our D this year, keep Mrazek and Howard together (assuming that Mrazek is our number one guy and Howard is there to help him) and with our new coaches for the Defense and Goaltending we could really put together a strong defensive effort. Let the kids play in the offense and don't worry if they make mistakes. That's how they'll learn.

Then, next year, we go big on offense.

Doing a little bit here and little bit there isn't going to help us.

Imagine:

DeKeyser-Fowler
Kronwall-Smith/Ericson
Green-Marchenko

Mrazek
Howard

That's not a bad back end, especially with two new voices to listen to.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I was hoping for Yandle or Fowler. I think we're probably not getting Stamkos. He's likely using us to squeeze more money out of Toronto. There won't be many more offense guys after that. So I think instead we should do something to really improve our defense. Let's get that first pair guy.

If we focus on our D this year, keep Mrazek and Howard together (assuming that Mrazek is our number one guy and Howard is there to help him) and with our new coaches for the Defense and Goaltending we could really put together a strong defensive effort. Let the kids play in the offense and don't worry if they make mistakes. That's how they'll learn.

Then, next year, we go big on offense.

Doing a little bit here and little bit there isn't going to help us.

Imagine:

DeKeyser-Fowler
Kronwall-Smith/Ericson
Green-Marchenko

Mrazek
Howard

That's not a bad back end, especially with two new voices to listen to.

Would be a tremendous change to the back-end in one year, and plausible too with Vatanen being re-signed. He's not a righty but that would be making perfect the enemy of good. Plus he plays the right side as far as I know. Fowler, Shattenkirk, Trouba, I don't much care who as long as it's done.

If Holland manages to land one of those guys along with Stamkos that's 80% of the work needed to right the ship IMO. You're adding apex predators to the food chain, so to speak. It changes everything below them as well. With some recovery time and a significantly reduced workload, I'd expect a major bounceback from Kronwall. The DK-Fowler pairing would be the minute-eating workhorses on the top pair. I would put Smith and Green together instead, two solid puck-movers who have really improved defensively. Then Kronwall and Marchenko as the third pair. Marchenko is a steady and dependable defensive presence and Kronwall gets easy minutes. Ericsson in the press box where he belongs until we find a way to shed his contract, if ever.

Then adding Stamkos gives us a clear, young #1 centre to build our offense around. Larkin gets to grow into the centre position with less pressure on the 2nd line. Can even alternate him with Sheahan if he needs time as the 3C. And we have enough young forwards that we should still have plenty of options on the wings.

That's my ultimate wish for this offseason. And that it could actually plausibly happen makes me so excited! :yo: At the very least I'd like to see Holland make an honest effort to do it, even if he's ultimately unsuccessful. Despite all the ******** on Holland (which I contribute plenty to) around here, I do still think of him fondly because he was a huge part of all those glory years. And he adopted a smart strategy entering the salary cap years that's allowed the streak to continue with a Cup and almost 2. So I want him to really try because I need to see he's able to switch gears when the times call for it. Hopefully he can, and I hope this offseason plays out like I think it can, just if he can't you may need to start thinking about moving on from the Holland era.

Last edited:

Jkalapeno

Mar 27, 2016
Riverview, FL
So apparently Marcus Kruger is on the block. What would you guys think about getting Kruger and Shaw? My problem with Keuger is that he's a fourth line center, and so is Glendening. If one of them could move to the wings and they signed a guy like Matt Martin they could have the best fourth line in the league, and Shaw would be fine on the third line. Maybe Athanasiou-Sheahan-Shaw? What do you guys think?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
For a team that lacks elite talent, trading for Shaw and Kruger seems pointless. Shaw brings a little something the team lacks, but I'd say it's not much more than a lateral move from miller and helm... With a cap hit around ~7 million between them. Not worth it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That quote has got to be from Ken Holland. :naughty:

The salary is too much but it literally makes no difference for Florida. They still have $16 million in cap space and have no one due for sizable raises.

I agree with the manager, but this is exactly right, they can afford to over pay. Have to imagine the tail end of that deal could be really rough though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree with the manager, but this is exactly right, they can afford to over pay. Have to imagine the tail end of that deal could be really rough though.

Wow, I did not realize that deal was for 7 years. Yikes. Think the cap hit is fair given his production, but would have pushed for a deal similar to what Green got from us.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Brian Campbell is slated to hit free agency, think Holland will offer him something?

I will admit I still thought he looked good last year in games we played Florida, but not really keen on adding a 37 year old to the mix.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Brian Campbell is slated to hit free agency, think Holland will offer him something?

I will admit I still thought he looked good last year in games we played Florida, but not really keen on adding a 37 year old to the mix.

Yeah this is one of those situations where we should be thankful we have so little cap space. This has Holland signing written all over it.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Heard that he really wants to go back to Chicago, His offseason home is there plus his Wife being from there. If Holland could give him something around 1 year between $3.5M-$4M would be curious if he would accept it.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
If KH signed Yandle to that deal today, half the board would lose their ****.

3 years from now the entire board would bring up how terrible it is in every thread

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Any interest in Yakupov? Apparently he can be had for a late 2nd. Assuming we don't land Stamkos, I wouldn't mind trying to trade Tatar + for Fowler and then push for Yakupov. Or is it easier to push for Radulov? Both?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Any interest in Yakupov? Apparently he can be had for a late 2nd. Assuming we don't land Stamkos, I wouldn't mind trying to trade Tatar + for Fowler and then push for Yakupov. Or is it easier to push for Radulov? Both?

I still think that Yak has tons of potential, Wouldn't really mind adding Yak. He's only still 22 right now will be 23 when the season starts. I think i personally would take a chance on him. Late 2nd or 3rd is fair value for him right now and a change of scenery would do him good.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wow, didn't think about it, but that Yandle contract is going to push the price of Shattenkirk's next contract wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy up.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Saw on Twitter wings may be interested in RNH. Talking about Sheahan+

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Saw on Twitter wings may be interested in RNH. Talking about Sheahan+

Where did that came from? Not sure why that would make sense for Edmonton, but I like RNH. Wish we would target a d man, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad