Off-Season Thread: Free Agency & Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
That's an absolutely ridiculous overpayment.

I know. Teams might have asked for that at first, because why not?Bbut I don't think that's what it will take to move the contract unless teams are just out to screw the Wings.

If you're a team who needs to reach the cap floor there is absolutely no reason to not take the cap hit to get a free asset(s) (Jurco/Pulkinnen/3rd/whatever), it's not like they have to pay Datsyuk.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
if it costs AA and Svechnikov, hell no.

The deal should be structured that if Wings get Stamkos or Radulov, then we 'might' give something more.

I would trade AA with Datsyuk and a 2nd/3rd if a really good defensive prospect was coming back in return. Because AA+Dats!=cap relief.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Trading AA is DUMB AS ****

Why? It's going to come down to trading one of AA, Mantha or Svechnikov for a young defenseman, and I believe that AA has the lowest ceiling by a lot of those three. Especially if the Wings are going after a big name like Stamkos they will need to trade at least one winger and why not try to build a package that can get you something of real value in return?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not if you get a d prospect similar to aas leek

I don't know why people label him as untouchable

With where the Wings are at, no one on the team should be considered untouchable depending on the player they acquire as a result.

Maybe Mrazek is untouchable because he has the potential to be great and goalies are such a gamble to draft or acquire.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
With where the Wings are at, no one on the team should be considered untouchable depending on the player they acquire as a result.

Maybe Mrazek is untouchable because he has the potential to be great and goalies are such a gamble to draft or acquire.

I agree with this but with Holland's track record on trades I get apprehensive when these names are thrown around. I am a bit astonished how little concern these players and picks are being thrown around just to get rid of a contract for one season during non-contention.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
You turn away any opportunity that does not make sense to timing a cup window. This team needs elite talent but it needs elite talent organically just like ever major cup winner in recent memory has done. You sign UFA's when you have an actual core to add them to. UFA put already existing a contenders over the top, like Hossa. If you are adding UFA's to try and build a contender you are doing it wrong. All Stamkos does is help ensure the team picks 15+ during the teams noncompetitive window. A non-competitive window that has been extended because the team refuses to accept a rebuild.

Boston did it with Chara, and New Jersey made the finals with Kovalchuk

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Whether you like the contract extension or not, Abdelkader is probably the most valuable player on the roster.

This is an excerpt from Mike Rupp and Ryan Whitney's playoff preview in the players tribune. I think Rupp sums up perfectly the problem with the current team make-up and was bang on in his prediction of how the series vs Tampa would go.

The Wings either need to get more guys like Abdelkader or convince some of the bigger guys to play more like him

Agreed. The Wings do lack players that like to get physical & in the face of the opposition. Other than Abby, we have Glendening and occasionally Ericsson whenever he actually shows up to play a decent game.
Adding Stamkos + amother player similar to Abby would do this team some good.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
You turn away any opportunity that does not make sense to timing a cup window. This team needs elite talent but it needs elite talent organically just like ever major cup winner in recent memory has done. You sign UFA's when you have an actual core to add them to. UFA put already existing a contenders over the top, like Hossa. If you are adding UFA's to try and build a contender you are doing it wrong. All Stamkos does is help ensure the team picks 15+ during the teams noncompetitive window. A non-competitive window that has been extended because the team refuses to accept a rebuild.

1. This potential roster is already one of the most organic in the league. Its filled almost entirely with homegrown or developed products.

2. Most UFAs aren't 26 and playing one of the most integral positions to roster building.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
1. This potential roster is already one of the most organic in the league. Its filled almost entirely with homegrown or developed products.

2. Most UFAs aren't 26 and playing one of the most integral positions to roster building.
I think his other implied point is that the current roster is mostly organic compost, as opposed to high-end talent.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

LOL homegrown yeah like Erickson and Abby? The homegrown elite talent has aged out of their role. The other homegrown talent is overpaid, and over-termed. Larkin and Mrazek have potential its why the organization should be building around that age group and not patching together streak protection.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Boston did it with Chara, and New Jersey made the finals with Kovalchuk

Gotcha one team out of the cap era signed some key UFA and had a red hot goalie that probably could have took a bottom feeder to the finals won a cup. I retract everything. I mean Pronger did it with Edmonton too. Stamkos is not Pronger or Chara.

I am not to clear on NJ did they have Parise too? Just took a look at that team it really wasn't that bad without Kovy, Detroit is not a Stamkos away from replicating that.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
LOL homegrown yeah like Erickson and Abby? The homegrown elite talent has aged out of their role. The other homegrown talent is overpaid, and over-termed. Larkin and Mrazek have potential its why the organization should be building around that age group and not patching together streak protection.

allright Federov I will bite

If you were the DRW GM what would you do and your answer can not be hope for "injuries to zetts and kronwall and terrible seasons from larkin and mrazek"

how would you go about 100% landing us a legit #1 NHL centermen capable of at least multiple 70pt seasons, a legit #1 NHL dman who can play in all three zones, run a PP and put up multiple 40 plus pt seasons and log at least 23mins a game, every game AND build out the rest fo the roster that can compete for a cup

if the answer is draft pls tell me(us) how we will land those picks and roughly how long it will take based on recent NHL hx of tanking teams to complete this rebuild

luck is not an acceptable answer either

pls be very specific(or as much as you can)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
san jose

its best players are via trade, free agency and late rd draft picks

Come on when is the last time Holland made a relevant trade that increased the cup contention factor of this team?

allright Federov I will bite

If you were the DRW GM what would you do and your answer can not be hope for "injuries to zetts and kronwall and terrible seasons from larkin and mrazek"

how would you go about 100% landing us a legit #1 NHL centermen capable of at least multiple 70pt seasons, a legit #1 NHL dman who can play in all three zones, run a PP and put up multiple 40 plus pt seasons and log at least 23mins a game, every game AND build out the rest fo the roster that can compete for a cup

if the answer is draft pls tell me(us) how we will land those picks and roughly how long it will take based on recent NHL hx of tanking teams to complete this rebuild

luck is not an acceptable answer either

pls be very specific(or as much as you can)

Its not like that you just gotta stop trying to short cut the system, you can't patchwork this roster deep into the playoffs. The patchwork has gone on long enough that the roster has deteriorated to embarrassment levels. Add on top of that Holland's country club contracts and you have a window where there is no logical action other than rebuilding. You rebuild to stock picks, you rebuild to let the daytsuk contract fall away, you rebuild to let Erickson's contract die, you rebuild to get Zetts and Kronwal on LTIR. You use the ice time to develop young players and if they can't handle development in the NHL then you move them on and use your picks collected in the rebuild to replace them. Once there is a legit core then you sprinkle in the UFA. Holland delayed a rebuild and extended how bad this roster was going to get. Now everyone wants a magic UFA solution to pretend we can just sign our way out of it. Its not an ideal or perfect direction but its the best and only chance there is. At some point Holland has to stop trying to magically get deep in the playoffs and build a team that contains elite talent. Talent that is not outlandishly expensive and is going to be tapering off when Larkin, Mrazek, Mantha, and crew are in their prime. Its not how long this will take that is a factor. Its that not doing it is just spinning the wheels of mediocrity indefinitely. Good is the enemy of great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia