Off-Season Thread: Free Agency & Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thought it might be good to make one thread for overall free agency and trade updates/rumors/ideas.

Some updates from Khan today:

The Red Wings spoke with Radulov and his agent shortly after being eliminated in the playoffs and have spent several weeks doing their due diligence on the former Nashville Predators forward who has spent the past four seasons in the Kontinental Hockey League.

The Red Wings are sold on his talent but were concerned about his off-ice demeanor.

They believe signing him to a one-year deal, likely in the $4 million to $5 million range, would limit their risk, a source said. Radulov might be more motivated to prove himself and earn a longer contract and the Red Wings could part with him after one season if the move backfires.

More interesting to me was this:

If the Red Wings can move Datsyuk's $7.5 million cap hit they expect to make a pitch for Steven Stamkos when free agency starts on July 1. But if they sign Radulov they might not have enough cap space to pursue Stamkos. That also has been discussed within the organization.

Source: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index..._interested_in_signin.html#incart_river_index
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The situation in Anaheim is unique too. You’ve got Hampus Lindholm and you’ve got Sami Vatanen. They’re both really good young restricted free agents. That’s a financial situation as well, driving that one. It may be that Bob Murray and the Anaheim Ducks simply can’t afford to have both of those guys on their team. Well then, you better move one.

“Now, that one might be a different circumstance coming back the other way. With Getzlaf and Kesler and what they’ve got there – I’m not saying they wouldn’t be interested in a center like Nugent-Hopkins or something like that, but again, the finances come back into play on a budget team that doesn’t want to go right to the cap."

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-...ces-driving-ducks-situation-lindholm-vatanen/

Last edited:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Move Howard, Let Helm go, LTIR Kronwall, Force Big E to retire and we got monies for both. And can trade for a legit D-man.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Thought it might be good to make one thread for overall free agency and trade updates/rumors/ideas.

Some updates from Khan today:

More interesting to me was this:

Source: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index..._interested_in_signin.html#incart_river_index

its good to hear about stamkos but if the opposite was true and the wings brass came out(or didnt even) and say they were not interested in pursuing stamkos, then it would solidify the notion that our organizational goal is to plummet to the bottom of the leagues standings

radulov better not be signed before free agency starts, lets not handcuff ourselves before the dance has even started

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

A long shot but both Stamkos and Radulov would dramatically change the outlook of this team:

Abdelkader - Larkin - Radulov
Z - Stamkos - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - AA

D is still questionable but that group should be able to score in bunches.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Give me Stamkos and Radulov.

Do whatever you need to do cap-wise to make that work.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Stamkos and Radulov mean nothing playing in front of this D.

A long shot but both Stamkos and Radulov would dramatically change the outlook of this team:

Z - Stamkos - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - AA

The team still has two questionables in the top 6 Z and Abby. It might get in the playoffs but still doesn't get past the first round and would still be going in with the worst D in the league.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Z - Stamkos - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - AA

Larkin hasn't played much center in the NHL, there is no reason to slot him in above Stammer. Until he can prove he's effective as a center at the NHL level he's not an answer to their center woes.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If we were to get Radulov and stammer i would be a happy camper, I just don't see it as a reality possibility money wise.

If we were to I'd think one of Nyquist or tats was moved, I'll do Nyquist for the sake of money. Obviously Pav's contract was traded.

Tats-Stammer-Radulov
Hank-Larkin-Abby
AA-Sheahan-Mantha
Miller-Glenny-Jurco/plug

I'd have to look at it more in depth to see how the money and defense pans out, but I think that's a pretty formidable lineup and one that exceeds what we were icing last season.

Also, if we were to get Rads on a 1 year deal you gotta think it's possible Svech can slot in the following season, right? Welp, assuming he's still in our organization.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
the fact that holland is even willing to pursue a guy like radulov with a troubled past seems to be me like holland is finally stepping out of his little box.

baby steps...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can't see Holland being aggressive enough to free to necessary cap space for both. On the upside, at least that option is even being discussed. Baby steps indeed.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
whether we sign radulov or stamkos or both, so long as we still have tatar and nyquist in the lineup likely means we have not addressed our defence appropriately,

fix the defense via trade
trade datsyuks contract away
sign radulov or stamkos or both
create room by trading away howard

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Sounds like if they miss out on Stammer (I will surprised if he doesn't resign in Tampa - to me distaste), they're going in on Radulov.

Would be amazing to have both...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
whether we sign radulov or stamkos or both, so long as we still have tatar and nyquist in the lineup likely means we have not addressed our defence appropriately,

fix the defense via trade
trade datsyuks contract away
sign radulov or stamkos or both
create room by trading away howard

Yes, of course, the defense. But this team isn't going to be fixed in a summer. You fix the pieces you can, when you can. Adding more scoring talent is vastly important, too. Once you lock down those pieces then all your attention can go to the defense.

No matter what the Wings do this team isn't a contender next year. The moves you generate this summer are to give you a window in the next 5 years. Guys like Stamkos and Radulov alone aren't going to make that window open, but now you've got the next couple years to sort out a blueline on a roster that would look much more attractive to any potential first pairing defenders who might want to sign a contract or waive their NTC for Detroit.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Yes, of course, the defense. But this team isn't going to be fixed in a summer. You fix the pieces you can, when you can. Adding more scoring talent is vastly important, too. Once you lock down those pieces then all your attention can go to the defense.

No matter what the Wings do this team isn't a contender next year. The moves you generate this summer are to give you a window in the next 5 years. Guys like Stamkos and Radulov alone aren't going to make that window open, but now you've got the next couple years to sort out a blueline on a roster that would look much more attractive to any potential first pairing defenders who might want to sign a contract or waive their NTC for Detroit.

I agree. We gotta take advantage of what's available. Holland failed to sign Suter. He now has a chance to correct the offense with potentially two great fowards - he needs to be more assertive and aggressive.

Gradual progression. Our offense is just as important as our defense. Our offense was a bigger issue for the Wings in comparison to the defense IMO. We failed patially this past season because we couldn't score goals at a respective pace.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Give me Stamkos and Radulov.

Do whatever you need to do cap-wise to make that work.

This is exactly what I've wanted for a while now. Radulov frees Tatar/Nyquist to be moved (even both if including Mantha/AA as their replacements on the wing) for a dman/dmen.

Z - Stamkos - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - AA

No Mantha there. Like I said above, Radulov allows Tats/Nyquist to be moved for a D without skipping a beat on offense, freeing up a spot for Mantha (in the event both Stamkos and Radulov are signed).

This TSN article mentions several options:

- Barrie
- Shattenkirk
- Vatanen
- Trouba
- Brodin
- Lindholm

Could even swap Mantha in for Tats or Nyquist (+ the other one) to make a package if we're talking Barrie/Shattenkirk/Lindholm.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is exactly what I've wanted for a while now. Radulov frees Tatar/Nyquist to be moved (even both if including Mantha/AA as their replacements on the wing) for a dman/dmen.

No Mantha there. Like I said above, Radulov allows Tats/Nyquist to be moved for a D without skipping a beat on offense, freeing up a spot for Mantha (in the event both Stamkos and Radulov are signed).

This TSN article mentions several options:

- Barrie
- Shattenkirk
- Vatanen
- Trouba
- Brodin
- Lindholm

Could even swap Mantha in for Tats or Nyquist (+ the other one) to make a package if we're talking Barrie/Shattenkirk/Lindholm.

One of Radulov/Stamkos and Barrie would be amazing.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I can't see Holland being aggressive enough to free to necessary cap space for both. On the upside, at least that option is even being discussed. Baby steps indeed.

He will be if the directive from above is to do so to drum up excitement going into the new building. Holland had no problem making aggressive moves when there was pressure before to go hard after a quality team. We seen it in the past with moving kozlov and Ozzie to bring in Hasek. We seen in the summer of '01 brining in Hull and Luc. We seen it bringing in Hatcher and others that didn't exactly pan out. I've been saying it for years no Hollands lackadaisical approach has said a lot about the focus of illitches moving from the wings to the tigers and with the new barn I'm guessing we'll see some of that focus move back to the Wings.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

please please please please please please please please please please please

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

please please please please please please please please please please please

my hope is that the oilers trade for barrie leaving shatty and fowler/vatanen/lindholm as potentially available for us

that all said would colorado deal within their conference, would anaheim deal within their division if options existed elsewhere?

barrie would easily be the most expensive

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
my hope is that the oilers trade for barrie leaving shatty and fowler/vatanen/lindholm as potentially available for us

that all said would colorado deal within their conference, would anaheim deal within their division if options existed elsewhere?

barrie would easily be the most expensive

Anaheim's situation (updated in OP):

“The situation in Anaheim is unique too. You’ve got Hampus Lindholm and you’ve got Sami Vatanen. They’re both really good young restricted free agents. That’s a financial situation as well, driving that one. It may be that Bob Murray and the Anaheim Ducks simply can’t afford to have both of those guys on their team. Well then, you better move one.

“Now, that one might be a different circumstance coming back the other way. With Getzlaf and Kesler and what they’ve got there – I’m not saying they wouldn’t be interested in a center like Nugent-Hopkins or something like that, but again, the finances come back into play on a budget team that doesn’t want to go right to the cap."

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-...ces-driving-ducks-situation-lindholm-vatanen/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad