Patriots/NFL Off Season talk - Pats trade for WR DeVante Parker

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Health and availability are always the big questions with Parker. When he can stay on the field, he's a good player. Problem for him is staying on the field. Price wasn't much to give up generally speaking, so it's worth the risk I guess. Still a better receiving option than they had on the roster, soooooo.....

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know much but Zion is my guy in the 1st round. I have a feeling his stock will go up, but if hes there I want him.

You will love this - informative and entertaining- great stuff on Zion

Johnson helps the passing & running game and gives the IOL both flexibility and high end skill - also played LT his first year at BC and then center and last year G. He’s getting ridiculous love on NFL Network draft shows and may not get to 21

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Rule of thumb for NFL draft pick value is a future pick is worth 1 round lower than a present year pick. Going by that logic, it's basically dropping from 4th to 5th round to pick up Parker.

I think this probably means no WR in the first 3 rounds this year. I'll assume LB/CB/OL in some order.
Yup - I was hoping they grabbed a late second/early third move up to get one of Metchie, Pierce, or Shakir all guys who I would want. Kyle Phillips a legit slot monster could last till 3 or 4 and Taquan Thornton (not sure if related to Joe) from Baylor if he lasts to 5th I jump on

Bill Belichick is the WORST GM In the last 25 years drafting corners in the second round

I will lose it if he takes a corner in second round

If he’s not drafting a WR there please move up and draft Chanel or take Alabama LB Christian Harris or LSU DT Neil Farrell

I know Bill loves Alabama so take DT Phidarian Mathis or Harris LB.

No corners

Slade Bolden another Alabama slot stud could last late

Do not draft a corner before round 5

Reactions: EverettMike

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
From Mike Reiss ESPN Boston

Knock on Parker: If he's healthy. Those are three of the most important words when it comes to Parker, 29, who has battled hamstring issues at times over his career. He has played every game in a season just once. In terms of fitting into the Patriots' culture, one NFL front-office executive projects no issues. "Quiet, good guy, hard worker, good teammate," the executive said.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Yup - I was hoping they grabbed a late second/early third move up to get one of Metchie, Pierce, or Shakir all guys who I would want. Kyle Phillips a legit slot monster could last till 3 or 4 and Taquan Thornton (not sure if related to Joe) from Baylor if he lasts to 5th I jump on

Bill Belichick is the WORST GM In the last 25 years drafting corners in the second round

I will lose it if he takes a corner in second round

If he’s not drafting a WR there please move up and draft Chanel or take Alabama LB Christian Harris or LSU DT Neil Farrell

I know Bill loves Alabama so take DT Phidarian Mathis or Harris LB.

No corners

Slade Bolden another Alabama slot stud could last late

Do not draft a corner before round 5

It's kind of fascinating looking at their Round 2 picks over the past 10 years:

DB - 6
LB - 2
WR - 1
DL - 1
QB - 1

55% of 2nd round picks used on DBs and exactly 1 wasn't a failure.

Other interesting fact about the last 10 drafts. 15 OL taken and only 1 (Wynn) was taken before the 3rd round. While I feel like there are some signs Zion Johnson is their guy in the 1st, working backwards, history kind of suggests it might be something like 3rd - OL, 2nd - CB, 1st - LB/DL.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's kind of fascinating looking at their Round 2 picks over the past 10 years:

DB - 6
LB - 2
WR - 1
DL - 1
QB - 1

55% of 2nd round picks used on DBs and exactly 1 wasn't a failure.

Other interesting fact about the last 10 drafts. 15 OL taken and only 1 (Wynn) was taken before the 3rd round. While I feel like there are some signs Zion Johnson is their guy in the 1st, working backwards, history kind of suggests it might be something like 3rd - OL, 2nd - CB, 1st - LB/DL.
I will weep if he takes a CB in second unless it’s a ridiculous slide like Elam or Booth

I can stomach a safety there though like Pitre

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I will weep if he takes a CB in second unless it’s a ridiculous slide like Elam or Booth

I can stomach a safety there though like Pitre
Dax Hill from Michigan can play all over. I wouldn’t mind him in early. Don’t sleep on Jayln Armour Davis from Alabama either. One year starter but fast and maybe the best press man corner in this draft.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dax Hill from Michigan can play all over. I wouldn’t mind him in early. Don’t sleep on Jayln Armour Davis from Alabama either. One year starter but fast and maybe the best press man corner in this draft.
Excellent post - yeh Hill apparently can cover slot receivers in space and tight ends - the scouting report is he is half corner half safety with outstanding skillset and brains

Armour-Davis is rising and Bill could go there- and they have squat at CB for press corner for the first time since he’s been coaching here

That’s possible but I would let Bill get his guys late where he seems to go after talented CB who have had some issues but not bad guys - yet drop

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Who you want to coach the team?
This is a serious question? It's not my job to hire the next coach. Unlike you I don't know who the up and coming coaches are. What I do know is it won't be the end of the f***ing world to move on from 70 year old, Tom Brady less Bill Belichick.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Excellent post - yeh Hill apparently can cover slot receivers in space and tight ends - the scouting report is he is half corner half safety with outstanding skillset and brains

Armour-Davis is rising and Bill could go there- and they have squat at CB for press corner for the first time since he’s been coaching here

That’s possible but I would let Bill get his guys late where he seems to go after talented CB who have had some issues but not bad guys - yet drop
Day 3 corners like Akayleb Evans from Missouri or Jaylen Watson from Washington State would be good pick ups as well. Well versed in press and zone coverage.

And your right Kyle Philips would be awesome in this offense. Perfect Patriot.
And Darrian Beavers the linebacker from Cincinnati would be outstanding for their defensive scheme as well.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Parker is a good WR2 who can't stay healthy. When you see the kind of money wrs are making in free agency you have Parker and Bourne counting as 12,460,776 million against the cap this season and 13,216,667 in 2023. Don't like giving up a day 1 or 2 pick in either of the next two drafts but it's a cheap contract for the player he could be for you.

Reactions: rfournier103

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
This is a serious question? It's not my job to hire the next coach. Unlike you I don't know who the up and coming coaches are. What I do know is it won't be the end of the f***ing world to move on from 70 year old, Tom Brady less Bill Belichick.
Why are you so defensive? I just figured you had someone in mind since you been so adamant about moving on from BB

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Why are you so defensive? I just figured you had someone in mind since you been so adamant about moving on from BB
I am not adamant about moving on from him. I just don't think moving on from him at 70 will prove to be a big deal.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I am not adamant about moving on from him. I just don't think moving on from him at 70 will prove to be a big deal.
Moving on from a coach is always a big deal. Systematically it could set them back another year or two.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Moving on from a coach is always a big deal. Systematically it could set them back another year or two.
It could. It might not. I guess some people are just content with riding things out and letting Bill decide when he wants to retire. I don't need that. Maybe we can revisit this after the season when they are no closer to competing in a stacked AFC.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It could. It might not. I guess some people are just content with riding things out and letting Bill decide when he wants to retire. I don't need that. Maybe we can revisit this after the season when they are no closer to competing in a stacked AFC.

I'm telling you, Kraft is going to fire him/force him out if/when they finish as a 500 team. (I know it's 17 games now. I have them at 8-9/9-8.)

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'm telling you, Kraft is going to fire him/force him out if/when they finish as a 500 team. (I know it's 17 games now. I have them at 8-9/9-8.)
And I would have no problem with that. If we want to talk about hanging on to the past of the good old days...that's exactly what people will be doing. Kraft chose a side in all this and he expects results from the coach now.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
It's going to depend a lot on how the season goes. How key players like Mac and other young players develop. I don't think .500 is nearly enough to get him canned, especially if some key players make the jump. It would have to be a really bad season. I don't think Kraft is just going to look at the record.

I also don't think Kraft wants to be know as the guy partially responsible for getting rid of the two most important people in franchise history in 3 years

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I just can't see it. Maybe there's a scenario where Bob steps down and Jonathan takes over and cleans house, but I don't think Bob's firing Belichick over a disappointing season. Something really bad would have to happen for him to do it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
the saints better have something up their sleeve because them trading their 2023 1st without a QB is INSANE

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
the saints better have something up their sleeve because them trading their 2023 1st without a QB is INSANE

Honestly, when you look at them last year, it's kind of unbelievable they went 9-8. Jameis was good and they went 5-2 with him, but you go half the year with Taysom Hill and Trevor Siemian as your QBs, Kamara missed 4 games and was having a down year when he was healthy, Michael Thomas missed the whole season, 3 out of their 5 starting lineman, including both tackles, missed half the season and their center missed a bunch of time too, and they probably had the least talented receiver room in the league. I guess that's the magic of Sean Payton.

It's certainly showing a lot of faith in Jameis. Mickey Loomis has always kind of been a 'screw the future, the time is now' guy.

Reactions: CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Owners have egos too. Just picture Kraft walking around the owner meetings after yet another SB win. The perception is he chose Bill over Tom. He sees Brady winning big in Tampa. Did people not see his recent comments? I don't think that was just lip service to the fans. He expects to win sooner rather than later. With the alleged greatest coach in history I would expect the same. Not to mention the money Belichick is being paid in his dual role. When you pay top dollar you expect top results.

Reactions: EverettMike

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Owners have egos too. Just picture Kraft walking around the owner meetings after yet another SB win. The perception is he chose Bill over Tom. He sees Brady winning big in Tampa. Did people not see his recent comments? I don't think that was just lip service to the fans. He expects to win sooner rather than later. With the alleged greatest coach in history I would expect the same. Not to mention the money Belichick is being paid in his dual role. When you pay top dollar you expect top results.

Those comments, unprompted, is why I think this thing is closer to being over than most people would guess.

"Haven't won a playoff game in three years."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad