Patriots/NFL Off Season talk - Pats trade for WR DeVante Parker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Former Mac Jones teammate Evan Neal could be the NFL’s No. 1 overall pick this year - The Boston Globe

INDIANAPOLIS — Mac Jones never got to be the talk of this town last year after COVID clobbered the Scouting Combine.
A year later, however, the Patriots quarterback has been a hot topic all week as former teammates and coaches have gushed about last year’s No. 15 overall pick who helped lead the Patriots back to postseason play.
Josh McDaniels, Brian Daboll, and three of his former favorite Alabama receivers — John Metchie, Slade Bolden, and Jameson Williams — were just a few of Jones’s admirers.
On Thursday, it was Evan Neal, the man who protected Jones’s blind side during the Crimson Tide’s run to the national championship in 2020.

With the Patriots holding the No. 21 pick, they’d likely have to do some serious wheeling and dealing to reunite Jones and Neal, but they did get some face time with Neal this week.
“I had an informal with them,” said Neal, one of 11 Tide players at the combine. “We went over some plays and stuff like that. It was nothing too crazy.”

UCLA receiver Kyle Phillips said he had a chance encounter with Bill Belichick on campus when the Patriots stayed and trained at the Bruins facilities two years ago. Belichick was walking with UCLA coach Chip Kelly when Phillips came across them. “Coach Kelly introduced me, and I got to talk to him a little bit,” he said. Phillips also met with Patriots staffers at the Shrine Bowl …

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/03...ine-questions/?p1=Article_Inline_Related_Link

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Could Alabama’s Slade Bolden be the Patriots’ next Wes Welker/Julian Edelman? - The Boston Globe

INDIANAPOLIS — NFL draft prospect Slade Bolden had a name at the ready when asked to list pro players he has modeled his game after.
“That’s the easiest answer I’ve got,” he said Wednesday morning. “Julian Edelman, for sure.”
Bolden, a 5-foot-11-inch, 194-pound slot receiver out of Alabama, went on to say that he admires the way Edelman played the game, from his work ethic to his mind-set. Edelman, who retired from football after the 2020 season, earned a reputation as a tough, scrappy, and reliable receiver during his 12 years in New England.
“ ‘You can’t guard me, you can’t stop me, I’m going to catch everything’ — that kind of mind-set,” Bolden said. “I see myself being that kind of person and try to emulate that as best I can.”

At Alabama, Bolden said, he spoke to offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien “all the time” about how O’Brien used Edelman and Wes Welker in the Patriots offense. O’Brien, who was on Nick Saban’s staff for just Bolden’s redshirt junior season, spent five years with the Patriots — and in four of them Welker was the team’s leading receiver.

The Patriots certainly may want to consider Bolden as an option to fill their shifty slot archetype. Last year, Bolden had 42 receptions for 408 yards, while also contributing on special teams with 14 punt returns for 99 yards and five kickoff returns for 67 yards.

Strengthening Bolden’s case is the fact that he is close friends with Patriots quarterback Mac Jones. When Bolden visited Alabama as a recruit, Jones hosted him. The two ended up rooming together and have stayed in close contact.

Bolden confirmed that he met with a Patriots representative at the combine. He said that reconnecting with Jones in New England would be “an easy transition” because of their bond, but, of course, he would be happy to play for any team interested in extending an opportunity.
So, any chance Jones has put in a good word with coach Bill Belichick?
Bolden laughed.
“I don’t know,” he said. “If he did, I probably wouldn’t be allowed to say.”

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Could Alabama’s Slade Bolden be the Patriots’ next Wes Welker/Julian Edelman? - The Boston Globe

INDIANAPOLIS — NFL draft prospect Slade Bolden had a name at the ready when asked to list pro players he has modeled his game after.
“That’s the easiest answer I’ve got,” he said Wednesday morning. “Julian Edelman, for sure.”
Bolden, a 5-foot-11-inch, 194-pound slot receiver out of Alabama, went on to say that he admires the way Edelman played the game, from his work ethic to his mind-set. Edelman, who retired from football after the 2020 season, earned a reputation as a tough, scrappy, and reliable receiver during his 12 years in New England.
“ ‘You can’t guard me, you can’t stop me, I’m going to catch everything’ — that kind of mind-set,” Bolden said. “I see myself being that kind of person and try to emulate that as best I can.”

At Alabama, Bolden said, he spoke to offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien “all the time” about how O’Brien used Edelman and Wes Welker in the Patriots offense. O’Brien, who was on Nick Saban’s staff for just Bolden’s redshirt junior season, spent five years with the Patriots — and in four of them Welker was the team’s leading receiver.

The Patriots certainly may want to consider Bolden as an option to fill their shifty slot archetype. Last year, Bolden had 42 receptions for 408 yards, while also contributing on special teams with 14 punt returns for 99 yards and five kickoff returns for 67 yards.

Strengthening Bolden’s case is the fact that he is close friends with Patriots quarterback Mac Jones. When Bolden visited Alabama as a recruit, Jones hosted him. The two ended up rooming together and have stayed in close contact.

Bolden confirmed that he met with a Patriots representative at the combine. He said that reconnecting with Jones in New England would be “an easy transition” because of their bond, but, of course, he would be happy to play for any team interested in extending an opportunity.
So, any chance Jones has put in a good word with coach Bill Belichick?
Bolden laughed.
“I don’t know,” he said. “If he did, I probably wouldn’t be allowed to say.”
I'd be shocked if this kid doesn't end up on the Patriots.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bill will probably trade JC to the Dolphins for a 4th rounder then he'll sign some UDFA cornerback from UMass or Syracuse or something and that guy will become a pro bowl lockdown corner for about 3 years until his rookie deal is up and then he'll trade that guy for a 4th rounder.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think Jackson is overrated by this fanbase, but he's still a good CB and we have no replacement.

Our defense just had the worst game in professional football history and we're going to lose our best defensive back for nothing. Great stuff.

C'mon Mike, Bill will figure it out...:naughty:

Reactions: EverettMike

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wouldn’t shock me if they sign a corner like Ward for less and use the savings elsewhere. Maybe draft one early too.

I’d rather they just pay JC.

Here's the rub. He's not the best corner in the league, but you already know how he fits in your scheme and what to expect from his play on the field. Seems to me, that alone is worth a bit of an over payment instead of starting over and hoping you get something close to his level of production in that spot. But hey, I'm not a football genius playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers, so what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille