Speculation: Off-Season Roster Building/Line Combos Thread

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
But all I was trying to say was, with a couple good trades, this turnaround can be one of the quickest ever seen in NHL history. And you didn't even need John Tavares to do it.

Trade Faulk this year for Kapanen+
Trade Fox and Rask next year for Athanasiou
Trade Fleury+ for one of the Islanders goalie prospects
And in 19-20 you have a roster going places the likes of which only Justin Williams has ever seen:

Screenshot_20180825-152205_S Note~2.jpg

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
But all I was trying to say was, with a couple good trades, this turnaround can be one of the quickest ever seen in NHL history. And you didn't even need John Tavares to do it.

And in 19-20 you have a roster going places the likes of which only Justin Williams has ever seen:

Why do you insist on trading Fox, arguably our top D prospect, AND Rask for Andreas frigging Athanasiou??? A guy who’s never broken 20g? Don’t we lready have prospects that fit that bill...ahem Pu or Foegele?

Ridiculous proposal...you certainly posted that one on the wrong thread...

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
JFC, people. We're getting offers for Athanasiou and you're turning them down?

A few more trades like this and we're literally at the top of the league.

Imagine:

Athanasiou-Aho-Abdelkader
Arvidsson-Anisimov-Atkinson
Andreoff-Amadio-Anderson
Aberg-Acciari-Agostino

Alzner-Alt
Auvitu-Aho
Andersson-Antipin

Allen
Andersen
Anderson

And for those who need fancy stats to see the obvious:

Players

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Imagine:

Andreoff-Amadio-Anderson
Aberg-Acciari-Agostino

Alzner-Alt
Auvitu-Aho
Andersson-Antipin

Allen
Andersen
Anderson
Straight A's baby, straight A's...

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Imagine:

Andreoff-Amadio-Anderson
Aberg-Acciari-Agostino

Alzner-Alt
Auvitu-Aho
Andersson-Antipin

Allen
Andersen
Anderson
I know you'd be excited to get all these guys...I'm sure they would have been at the top of your prospect ratings.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

View attachment 136215

All the trades aside...why in the name of Zeus's butthole would Svech be on the 3rd line?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

View attachment 136215
I sense a speedskating fetish here. Trading for speedsters without good hockey IQ and with not too good hands and then putting them to your top 6 doesn't sound at all good to me.

Skating has become in that way overrated in hockey, that too many people believe that great skating without very good hockey IQ and soft hands is really that useful automatically to play in a top 6 role. Great skating might be useful without great other skills, but then the player is not a top 6 player for sure.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

View attachment 136215
There are not enough ways to say no to this. We need a proven scorer and proven goaltending and this team likely competes in the playoffs. We'll be young and are already pretty fast. Kapanen and Athanasiou (both of whom I like) don't make the difference. As has been said, Rask has a better scoring history than Athanasiou. Kapanen is a proven AHL commodity....we've got a couple of those guys that I just happen to like better (Foegele, Saarela, etc.). I'm not ready to trade Fleury unless he's part of a larger, more impactful package. Faulk is due for a bounce back and might actually be the better option for our power play than Hamilton.

All things considered this proposal does nothing buy add middle sixers and a goalie prospect. We need to be thinking more about the now instead of another year or two in the future.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
People get too hung up on line designations, particularly for this team that doesn’t yet have a true 1C. For instance, Skinner was technically on the 3rd line last year, but had the 3rd most ESTOI/ game among forwards.

Not saying it will happen, but I could easily see a scenario where Necas and Svechnikov are on a line together and it’s viewed as a third line. Won’t be the case forever though, but early on I could see it. Canes want to put him in a spot to succeed more than anything.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah but IRL do we expect him to be on the 3rd line? New face of the franchise, etc.
If the new 18 y.o. guy isn't McDavid, the 3rd line tops is pretty much guaranteed. The high draft pick making it to the NHL roster immediately after the Draft for full season is a rare feat enough already.

Plus the 3rd line match-up is probably better for him to try and push himself to the league top 10 in G/A/P/PpGP for the Schedule B Performance Bonus bragging rights anyway. Nothing says that your franchise has got a stud like paying him $3.5M of real money for a season played on ELC.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If the new 18 y.o. guy isn't McDavid, the 3rd line tops is pretty much guaranteed. The high draft pick making it to the NHL roster immediately after the Draft for full season is a rare feat enough already.

Plus the 3rd line match-up is probably better for him to try and push himself to the league top 10 in G/A/P/PpGP for the Schedule B Performance Bonus bragging rights anyway. Nothing says that your franchise has got a stud like paying him $3.5M of real money for a season played on ELC.

Yeah but, Svech is basically like a #1OA in a regular draft year, correct?

Did Matthews, Hall and Tavares wind up on the 3rd line their rookie year? I mean maybe they did, I have no idea.

I seem to recall Skinner on the 1st line with Eric Cole and Stillman his rookie season- or is that erroneous?

I get that he was used on the 3rd line the past couple of years- I thought that was a peculiarity of the Peter's system. or do other teams do stuff like put the top goal scorer on that line?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad