HF Habs: Off-Season Discussion (Part Duh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Im 100% with you on this. I love Galchenyuk but he definitely is not strong enough at this point to be an elite centre. Ive watched a lot of interviews over the last couple years and he doesn't appear to be a confident young man ala Gallagher or Subban. I personally don't think he minds playing the wing sort of out of the limelight. Im hoping he gains strength, composure and confidence that Gallagher already possesses.
I didn't mind Bergevins reference to play station. I know he doesn't play it but he was trying to get a point across. To get an elite centre the cost would be Carey at a minimum. And none of you want that.

That's BS. Seguin and Spezza were not traded for Price. Even for a top liner, Neal was traded for Hornqvist and Spalling. That's what Nashville paid for a 40g scorer.
Bergevin said those 25-30g scorers don't grow on trees, he acquired two of them in Ryder and Vanek for peanuts, and then let them go.
So spare me this BS.

But that's why Galchenyuk's name was raised. If it's so damn difficult to get a center, then why not use the guy we drafted to play a top center role in the first place. That's the whole point. His answer to that was ''struggles down low''. Such a ridiculous thing. Ya, DD is arguably one of our worse players down low, so what gives? Basically he had no idea what else to say.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
That's BS. Seguin and Spezza were not traded for Price. Even for a top liner, Neal was traded for Hornqvist and Spalling. That's what Nashville paid for a 40g scorer.
Bergevin said those 25-30g scorers don't grow on trees, he acquired two of them in Ryder and Vanek for peanuts, and then let them go.
So spare me this BS.

But that's why Galchenyuk's name was raised. If it's so damn difficult to get a center, then why not use the guy we drafted to play a top center role in the first place. That's the whole point. His answer to that was ''struggles down low''. Such a ridiculous thing. Ya, DD is arguably one of our worse players down low, so what gives? Basically he had no idea what else to say.

He strikes me as someone that loves his coach and just makes excuses to cover for him. This is just as bad as Therrien in my eyes, he's blinded by friendship and the regular season.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
I watched the English portion of the press conference, truthfully I have no problem with anything he said. Its what GM's say at all these conferences, he's not going to say anything you guys want to hear. I can't believe 80% of the comments in this thread, its insane, are 80% of you guys brainwashed? I guess its true, if you keep saying the same thing over and over eventually everyone will believe its true. Comments such as we're like the Oilers or Price and Subban will request a trade, their immature, moronic and uninformed. Get a grip guys, I've never seen anything as bad as this forum has been this year. I'll take 5 rounds of playoffs in 2 years, how many teams have done that, maybe 4 or 5? (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nynja*

I'll take 5 rounds of playoffs in 2 years, how many teams have done that, maybe 4 or 5? (mod)

Carey Price is a hell of a drug

Ask Vancouver fans how they feel about their team: first in their division 5 years in a row, including two presidents trophies, and they've been to the finals once with two eliminations in the semis and two eliminations in the quarters (with one of those being in their Presidents seasons).

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Carey Price is a hell of a drug

Ask Vancouver fans how they feel about their team: first in their division 5 years in a row, including two presidents trophies, and they've been to the finals once with two eliminations in the semis and two eliminations in the quarters (with one of those being in their Presidents seasons).

Probably a lot better than the Leafs or Florida.

There is one cup and 30 teams. It's not an easy trophy to win.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
When I listened to Bergevin today it seemed like I was listening to Therrien without as much accent. We are in for much of the same team as we saw this year with hopes of getting Petry full time. I do not feel hopeful about things and I will not follow the habs next year unless needed changes are actually made. Bergevin and Therrien are one in the same.:shakehead:shakehead

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Probably a lot better than the Leafs or Florida.

There is one cup and 30 teams. It's not an easy trophy to win.

Leafs Florida and about 20 other teams. People have to cool their expectations, be happy with what we did the last 2 years if anyone expected we were going to win the cup this year or last well than I have a bridge to sell you. We're not quite there yet but we had a very good year compared to 22 other teams. How do you think LA and Boston fans feel?

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Leafs Florida and about 20 other teams. People have to cool their expectations, be happy with what we did the last 2 years if anyone expected we were going to win the cup this year or last well than I have a bridge to sell you. We're not quite there yet but we had a very good year compared to 22 other teams. How do you think LA and Boston fans feel?

Its not people unhappy with the last two years as it is the mentality of the organization

They are talking transition yet seem happy with current roster. There love with DD and coaching staff goes against moving towards a Cup contender. Lots of excuse and not looking to progress. Thats peoples issues

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Im 100% with you on this. I love Galchenyuk but he definitely is not strong enough at this point to be an elite centre. Ive watched a lot of interviews over the last couple years and he doesn't appear to be a confident young man ala Gallagher or Subban. I personally don't think he minds playing the wing sort of out of the limelight. Im hoping he gains strength, composure and confidence that Gallagher already possesses.
I didn't mind Bergevins reference to play station. I know he doesn't play it but he was trying to get a point across. To get an elite centre the cost would be Carey at a minimum. And none of you want that.

And once again. How do you expect him to learn how to be a better center if he spends a third year on the wing? Those players cited were either shifted over relatively fast or behind exceptional players. Pavelski wasn't going to dislodge Thornton and Marleau when they were in their respective primes. Likewise, Boston was not going to push Bergeron or Krejci to the wing for a teenage Seguin. They should have traded one of them instead, and are regretting that decision immensely now.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Pretty good, I wager. LA has won two cups and made the finals, while Boston one a cup only four years ago. Sure, some of the complaints here are melodramatic, but they largely stem from frustration with management. We are all acutely aware how difficult the cup is to win, which means toiling around with half-baked options like Desharnais only decreases our chances of winning said cup. Couple this was an increasingly boring team and you get to the cusp of why so many fans are restless.

The reaction here would be difficult if we were playing an entertaining brand of hockey, transitioning younger players like Galchenyuk and Eller to increased roles. Instead, we do the exact same thing, but expect a different result.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Bergevin said he hasn't shown that he is capable of playing center yet, what more do you want? Guess whose opinion I'm going with? Why play him at center if he isn't capable yet. Give him another year, he's young, why rush him. Half the posters on here think Therrien is incapable of developing players, yet one of the best ways to ruin a player is to rush him. Patience comrads.

The same posters say "Oh wow Andrigetto got 3 points in 3 games", give me a break, ever seen a player play well for a few games and then crash, want me to name a few, Chipchura, Latendresse, Dagostini, OByrne , Maxwell, Thomas, Pulushaj, Dumont, Engvist, Leblanc, Bournival. All these guys had spurts and amounted to nothing. I see nothing special in Andrighetto, will be surprised if he ever plays 100 NHL games, yet some on here are projecting him as a 3rd line player next year.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I think the "whole it's not easy to trade for a top line centre" excuse that keeps getting thrown around is deflecting from the real issue. Everyone knows it's hard to get one, but that's not what people are asking.

What they are asking is that knowing it's hard to trade for one of those centres, why not try and develop the one you tried to draft in Galchenyuk, and by try, I mean play him at centre.

This whole "trading is hard bs" is exactly that, bs. Pure deflection. It's a response to an argument no one is making. I'd rather live with Galchenyuk's mistakes at centre than DD's mistakes at centre. At least the former might improve considering he's still so young. The latter is still making errors at 30.

Last edited:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
And once again. How do you expect him to learn how to be a better center if he spends a third year on the wing? Those players cited were either shifted over relatively fast or behind exceptional players. Pavelski wasn't going to dislodge Thornton and Marleau when they were in their respective primes. Likewise, Boston was not going to push Bergeron or Krejci to the wing for a teenage Seguin. They should have traded one of them instead, and are regretting that decision immensely now.

Doesn't change the fact they played wing even if they played behind stars. We can also look at Forsberg. Same age as Galchenyuk, same draft and everything. Played some center and some wing before. This year played the wing because they needed him at that spot. They'll see what he becomes in the future. No big deal.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Bergevin said he hasn't shown that he is capable of playing center yet, what more do you want? Guess whose opinion I'm going with? Why play him at center if he isn't capable yet. Give him another year, he's young, why rush him. Half the posters on here think Therrien is incapable of developing players, yet one of the best ways to ruin a player is to rush him. Patience comrads.

And yet evidence to the contrary exists. Granted, it was a small sample size, but Galchenyuk performed well at center and was only shifted back the wing because Therrien asked him to so he could get Desharnais going. Regardless, my original question was how do we expect Galchenyuk to learn the supposed "defensive necessities" and "board work" of being a center if he's playing an entirely different position? So he's not ready for #1 duty? Great. Why didn't the EGG line see any time together as a secondary line?

Pacioretty - Desharnais/Plekanec - Weise
Eller - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

I don't like Weise on the first line, but Therrien showed no qualms doing this. So why not roll with it and allow Galchenyuk to be eased into center? In fact, Eller on his wing means if he struggles during center games, they can easily switch depending on the zone start.

Doesn't change the fact they played wing even if they played behind stars. We can also look at Forsberg. Same age as Galchenyuk, same draft and everything. Played some center and some wing before. This year played the wing because they needed him at that spot. They'll see what he becomes in the future. No big deal.

But it does provide context. We have no one barring Galchenyuk's path besides a stubborn coach who has a pet. You also ignore all of those players played center and struggled, whereas Galchenyuk hasn't. Therrien refuses to even let him get his feet wet, except midway through this season. And what do you know. Galchenyuk put up 9 points in 11 games!

You also said yourself "because they needed him at that spot." So Forsberg's shift to the wing was temporary. This is also his first season in the league, not his third. People weren't complaining when Galchenyuk was 18. In fact, no one is even asking this be a permanent shift. What I want to see is a genuine commitment to Galchenyuk at center. If he's struggles after say, 20ish games, then you move him back to the wing. You know, kind of how Therrien allowed Desharnais the same amount of leeway. Fancy that, eh?

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
When I listened to Bergevin today it seemed like I was listening to Therrien without as much accent. We are in for much of the same team as we saw this year with hopes of getting Petry full time. I do not feel hopeful about things and I will not follow the habs next year unless needed changes are actually made. Bergevin and Therrien are one in the same.:shakehead:shakehead

I had high hopes the crap we endured under Gainey and Gauthier was a thing of the past when Bergevin arrived. 3 years later nothing has changed, and today is the confirmation that nothing will change anytime soon. MT won't be fired, DD won't go away, no offensive talent will be added, the PP will still suck ass...

Bergevin is in love with Therrien, so instead of firing him at the right moment, he'll eventually lose his job too when things go out of hand.

I can't accept the fact we'll stagnate for 2-3 more years, maybe more, wasting precious years of our best players. It's pathetic and unacceptable, our window is right now, not in 10 years. So yeah, just like you and many others, I won't watch the team I love slowly rot because of two clueless clowns.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

LA has won two cups in the last couple of years, I'm sure their fans are really jealous of us right now...:facepalm:
Fans are very happy with what we've done the past two years, if that's what you got from this thread then you didn't really understand.
You can say he just wasn't going to make promises to the public, fine, still don't like his comments about Galchenyuk saying they didn't feel he was prepared to play center because of his ''struggles'' down low, and that he might never play center. All this after explaining for 10 min how difficult it is to find a big skilled center.

Which brings up a question, Bergevin said Therrien coaches to win every game, now. He's not thinking about winning in 4 years, he wants to win now. Every game.
That means if he feels Galchenyuk at the wing is better for his team to win NOW, then he'll do it. It doesn't matter if it's actually better for Galchenyuk to play center, in order to learn the position at the NHL level, so he can become a solid center down the line. No no, that is not important. What matters is winning NOW.
That's fine btw, I fully expect a coach to feel this way. It also explains why they just stick with Plek-DD there instead of putting Eller up there. Doing that would create more of a hole on the 3rd line that wouldn't be filled by DD. So again, it's better for the team NOW, to keep Eller on the third.
What's sad though is that the GM should see above that. He's supposed to see the big picture. That's why you go through ''transition'' years, which is what Bergy said last year, that he didn't mind taking a step back in order to give more time to youngsters to grow and then take two steps forward. That's what he said last year, which lead me to believe he was going to push for Galchenyuk at center. Now that made sense. But that's not what he said this year, imo he regressed.

Bergevin sounded like a guy that came into this presser prepared to answer questions without really answering them. He pretty much held the same speech he delivered when he first took the job. ''It takes time, go with youngsters and draft, if a trade is available, sure we do it, Therrien is great''.

And what the heck was this comparison to Lundqvist's age? Ya, in 6-7 years, Price can still be great. So what? It's also possible he won't be as effective, and it goes for the rest of the guys.
If we're only reaching contention in 6-7 years there's a major freaking problem. Bergevin missed PK's point completely.

When I hear Bergevin still clinging on to ''building slowly through the draft'', he strikes me as a GM who's just scared to make some meaningful comment.
When I hear him say that Joe Thornton is the last big center to be traded, I wonder where was his head when Seguin and Spezza was traded.
When I hear him say 25-30g scorers are tough to find, I wonder if he remembers that he brought in Ryder and Vanek in two different seasons. I wonder if he realizes Neal was traded for freaking Hornqvist and Spalling.

Ya ya, this isn't Playstation, but there's many examples of trades too. We know they can happen, and they do pretty much every year. He said it himself, under the cap era, players move around a lot. So why does he say that, but then pretend like it's almost impossible to acquire some?

I didn't need him to start making promises left and right. But tell me why he couldn't have come in and said ''we've identified some weaknesses and expect that some players should become available that could help us. It doesn't mean we'll be able to get them here, but we'll definitely do our best.''? Would saying this really be bad? How is it any different than saying they loved Petry and would love to keep him here if they can come to an agreement??

The fans aren't crazy btw, a lot of what the players said yesterday reflected what fans were saying.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

The same posters say "Oh wow Andrigetto got 3 points in 3 games", give me a break, ever seen a player play well for a few games and then crash, want me to name a few, Chipchura, Latendresse, Dagostini, OByrne , Maxwell, Thomas, Pulushaj, Dumont, Engvist, Leblanc, Bournival. All these guys had spurts and amounted to nothing. I see nothing special in Andrighetto, will be surprised if he ever plays 100 NHL games, yet some on here are projecting him as a 3rd line player next year.

You forgot Marcel Hossa!

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I think the "whole it's not easy to trade for a top line centre" excuse that keeps getting thrown around is deflecting from the real issue. Everyone knows it's hard to get one, but that's not what people are asking.

What they are asking is that knowing it's hard to trade for one of those centres, why not try and develop the one you tried to draft in Galchenyuk, and by try, I mean play him at centre.

This whole "trading is hard bs" is exactly that, bs. Pure deflection. It's a response to an argument no one is making. I'd rather live with Galchenyuk's mistakes at centre than DD's mistakes at centre. At least the former might improve considering he's still so young. The latter is still making errors at 30.

False pretense.

They didn't draft him because he played center. They drafted him because they saw him as one of the most skilled forward available. One who can maybe play center at some point, or maybe not. One who was switched to the wing in his final junior season.

Moreover, it doesn't really seem like playing wing will stop him from becoming a good center down the road (Seguin as the obvious example).

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
I think the "whole it's not easy to trade for a top line centre" excuse that keeps getting thrown around is deflecting from the real issue. Everyone knows it's hard to get one, but that's not what people are asking. What they are asking is that knowing it's hard to trade for one of those centres, why not try and develop the one you tried and draft in Galchenyuk, and by try, I mean play him at centre. This whole "trading is hard bs" is exactly that, bs. Pure deflection. It's a response to an argument no one is making. I'd rather live with Galchenyuk's mistakes at centre than DD's mistakes at centre. At least the former might improve considering he's still so young. The latter is still making errors at 30.

MB post season press conference was defeatist
He didnt sound like a guy who was satisfy with his team

He already give himself a excuse in case he dont find a decent center in future
He promote intern solution but said Gach is probably not the solution

His analyse on why Habs lose to TB with Habs didn’t have chance with all theses posts and all the miss opportunities

No TB win mosly because they have better offensives players with more finesse and opportunities that finish with goals

He's affraid to admit that Habs really missing offensive in saying that he believe in intern solution but MT system dont develop any intern solution

Habs really need intern AND extern solution

When he dont understand and have trouble with people who only criticize MT
It's like fan and media dont have the righ to said anything bad about MT
I understand that a DG defend his coach in press conference but it was to much

MB want to keep the same players and expecting same result ?
It's like to keep the same players/solution/philosophy and hope different PO result by magic ? Just like MT PP solution unsuccess

MB is a disappointment and he sound more and more like MT

Yzerman, Cooper >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MB, MT

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
False pretense.

They didn't draft him because he played center. They drafted him because they saw him as one of the most skilled forward available. One who can maybe play center at some point, or maybe not. One who was switched to the wing in his final junior season.

Moreover, it doesn't really seem like playing wing will stop him from becoming a good center down the road (Seguin as the obvious example).

Why would they use Galchenyuk at center later but not now?
Bergevin said he wasn't ready for the center position because of how he played down low. So how does he fix that without playing center?

Seguin switched teams. He went to a team that valued him as a CENTER.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Why would they use Galchenyuk at center now?

Seguin switched teams. He went to a team that valued him as a CENTER.

So, why woud the Habs move him to center now?

They would move him at center if they thought he could help the team win more playing that position than wing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
They would move him at center if they thought he could help the team win more playing that position than wing.

Funny you mention this...team was 9-2-1 with Galch-Patches producing at about 1ppg when Galchenyuk was centering the top line. So I guess you can scratch that theory of yours off.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Did we have that record because Galchenyuk was playing center ?

Well his line was producing at about 1ppg, and the team scored over 3g a game during that stretch. So even if it weren't because of them, why change it when you're scoring the most you have all year and your record is great?

You're not making sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad