HF Habs: Off-Season Discussion (Part Duh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Exactly, we keep the same defense, the problem is not on d, it's the scoring up front.

So let's move a dman to make room. Obviously not Markov (that created more scoring chances against than for, and also because he's a Hab).
Let's move one of the best dmen we had this playoffs (even last) and that is physical so we can play grenade puck Tinordi.

I don't see the fascination with keeping Markov and you can't use the "vet" excuse when 3/4 of our dmen are vets...
Sure he put up 50 pts, but he can't skate which is kind of important seeing how he's making many more bad pinches and his play is degrading.

Don't compare one of the best defense men of all time to Markov as well.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Actually there is no way to prove whether run and gun hockey would have been better or worse than the style the Canadiens played last year. It's still a style I can't quite figure out.

Was the improvement in the team due to the system or was it because Price improved? Again, there is no way of telling. Budaj doesn't belong in this argument. In one year he only played 13 games. Hard to make any judgments on that sample size.

I do know that when the Habs skated hard and used an aggressive forecheck, they gave Tampa all they could handle and then some. When they fell back into their defensive shell reverted to the chip and chase in game 6, Tampa completely dominated.

If nothing else, the team needs to develop some kind of a breakout strategy. PK Subban's high flips and Markov's stretch passes are good to throw into the mix once in a while but using them all the time is a desperation tactic.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
So let's move a dman to make room. Obviously not Markov (that created more scoring chances against than for, and also because he's a Hab).
Let's move one of the best dmen we had this playoffs (even last) and that is physical so we can play grenade puck Tinordi.

I would trade nobody on D.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
If the goal is to put Desharnais on wing, do you think Hudon is better right now than Desharnais on LW ?

regardless. We need to move DD away from MT. His strange mancrush on DD has come to the detriment of the PP and at overall devellopment of Galchenyuk

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No Davey. No. In no way. Not on the fourth to first lines as center or winger.

Gone. There's no other choice

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
1. Put Desharnais on the next boat to Africa
2. Change the locks when Therrien is out behind the dumpster smoking a cig
3. Buy Plekanec a heart from the Wizard of Oz
4. Profit

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
If we sign Petry, we're set on D. Maybe move Emelin if we really need money for a big forward.

What we need for next season:

1. Galchenyuk as a center full time
2. A good top 6 winger, either a LWer to take Galchy's spot or a RWer better than Gally
3. A young guy to step up for a top 6 complimentary role (can't be sure we have one until the training camp, however there are many guys that might be able to fill this role so there's hope)
4. A third liner with some offensive skills to give Eller someone to play with (the other guy on that line will probably end up being Weise, something I don't have a problem with). Might be a young guy like Ghetto/Hudon if we end up having the luxury of 2 guys standing out at the camp. Could be a FA too. Worst case scenario: one of DD or PaP.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
1. Put Desharnais on the next boat to Africa
2. Change the locks when Therrien is out behind the dumpster smoking a cig
3. Buy Plekanec a heart from the Wizard of Oz
4. Profit
1. davey (the person) is not a bad guy, i want him gone but i wish him well. 2. Lol. 3. Plex is a product of the soft regime, nothing will ever change that. 4. See #2.

PricePkPatch*

We had a run and gun system back in 2013. We scored first for 60% of the games!

And then we collapsed in 5 against the Sens

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
If the goal is to put Desharnais on wing, do you think Hudon is better right now than Desharnais on LW ?

There's just no way for me to keep Desharnais in this line-up for next season, especially considering the two guys that could legitimately crack the roster next season are Andrighetto and Hudon - two relatively small guys. Are we going back the smurf route?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
1. davey (the person) is not a bad guy, i want him gone but i wish him well. 2. Lol. 3. Plex is a product of the soft regime, nothing will ever change that. 4. See #2.

5. Lower the price of concession stand products as an apology for the product we've had to endure.

We had a run and gun system back in 2013. We scored first for 60% of the games!

And then we collapsed in 5 against the Sens

Hit a hot goalie and injuries were insane in that series. Plus, they tried to change the style of play before the playoffs, hence the slump going in.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
If we sign Petry, we're set on D. Maybe move Emelin if we really need money for a big forward.

What we need for next season:

1. Galchenyuk as a center full time
2. A good top 6 winger, either a LWer to take Galchy's spot or a RWer better than Gally
3. A young guy to step up for a top 6 complimentary role (can't be sure we have one until the training camp, however there are many guys that might be able to fill this role so there's hope)
4. A third liner with some offensive skills to give Eller someone to play with (the other guy on that line will probably end up being Weise, something I don't have a problem with). Might be a young guy like Ghetto/Hudon if we end up having the luxury of 2 guys standing out at the camp. Could be a FA too. Worst case scenario: one of DD or PaP.

1. can happen if we move DD
2. with DD gone, we have more cap space, but we'd likely need to move Emelin or PAP as well
3. we have 3, maybe 4 guys who will fight hard for that spot (Androghetto, Hudon, Scherbak, McCarron)
4. see 3

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
There's just no way for me to keep Desharnais in this line-up for next season, especially considering the two guys that could legitimately crack the roster next season are Andrighetto and Hudon - two relatively small guys. Are we going back the smurf route?

Tampa is smurfs didnt stop them from beating us

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
1. can happen if we move DD
2. with DD gone, we have more cap space, but we'd likely need to move Emelin or PAP as well
3. we have 3, maybe 4 guys who will fight hard for that spot (Androghetto, Hudon, Scherbak, McCarron)
4. see 3

I agree. Trading DD would ensure Galchenyuk has his C spot next season.

I fully expect one of those 4 guys to make the team out of the camp. Which? I have no idea honestly. But if Bournival could force his way into a line-up that didn't have a place for him, I'm confident in the ability of one of those guys to make the team.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I agree. Trading DD would ensure Galchenyuk has his C spot next season.

I fully expect one of those 4 guys to make the team out of the camp. Which? I have no idea honestly. But if Bournival could force his way into a line-up that didn't have a place for him, I'm confident in the ability of one of those guys to make the team.

Therrien would just play DLR at centre and keep Chucky at wing. He'll find a way, don't worry.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Johnson, who else?

And there's a difference between small impact players, such as Johnson, and small AHL caliber players, such as Desharnais.

Their best line was 5'8", 5'11" and 6'0" Not exactly smurfs, but pretty small in terms of the NHL. Overall though, Tampa has smaller players but those players don't play like small soft players. (ps. Johnson is really soft and dives a lot)

Montreal has players like PAP and Desharnais who play like they're made of pillows. Overall though, I think Tampa is a much softer team and they proved it. They just don't have those ultra soft players, besides Johnson. Although he still goes to the areas Desharnais doesn't, he's still soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad