HF Habs: Off-Season Discussion (Part Duh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
So MB is upset that MT doesn't get a fair shake?

To the point where he won't acknowledge that his team started each game twenty minutes late the entire first half of the season?

To the point where he won't call out his coaching staff for their season long failure to find solutions to improve laughable PP results ?

Fine, he doesn't have to blast his staff in front of the media. I understand that.

But seeing that stud centermen can't be had via trades, nor via the draft since they draft so late (MB speaking) and that you have no choice but to find solutions from within, why the reluctance to give Galchy a break and pull for him to make it as a center then?

He said Galchy isn't a centerman at this time.

Well then, why not give your coaching staff the challenge to make him a center? Is it because it's work? Give him the third line to run for the first half of next season, spend time with him in practice and in the video room and teach the guy how to play the position.

Come to think of it, is there anyone on this coaching staff who can do that? I think not. Could that be the problem?

He would NEVER level heavy criticism at his coach in a very public press conference. :shakehead

No GM would.

Is that what some fans expected from Bergevin??

Bizarre.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So MB is upset that MT doesn't get a fair shake?

To the point where he won't acknowledge that his team started each game twenty minutes late the entire first half of the season?

To the point where he won't call out his coaching staff for their season long failure to find solutions to improve laughable PP results ?

Fine, he doesn't have to blast his staff in front of the media. I understand that.

But seeing that stud centermen can't be had via trades, nor via the draft since they draft so late (MB speaking) and that you have no choice but to find solutions from within, why the reluctance to give Galchy a break and pull for him to make it as a center then?

He said Galchy isn't a centerman at this time.

Well then, why not give your coaching staff the challenge to make him a center? Is it because it's work? Give him the third line to run for the first half of next season, spend time with him in practice and in the video room and teach the guy how to play the position.

Come to think of it, is there anyone on this coaching staff who can do that? I think not. Could that be the problem?

You cant teach offense.. So you cant fix the PP.. So I'm assuming they can't teach him center.

It's all excuses

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It's normal for Galchenyuk to be like this at 21. Maturity comes with time and he will be ready at one point. Look what they did with Subban. Galchenyuk will be developed properly, I'm sure about it.

What? Subban came in into the 2010 playoffs and already looked like our #1 defender. He was thrusted into the role he was supposed to play right away. Sure he was sheltered a bit during the following reg season but that's to be expected. At least he was playing 20+ minutes a night and was getting first-wave PP time.

This is why Galchenyuk should be play #1 or #2 C and getting plenty of PP time. As I said coaches are there for a reason... they need to make him better. And to make him better he needs to be playing the role he was drafted for which is an offensive-minded center.

Matteus

May 11, 2009
He would NEVER level heavy criticism at his coach in a very public press conference. :shakehead

No GM would.

Is that what some fans expected from Bergevin??

Bizarre.

Which is why I said : Fine, he doesn't have to blast his staff in front of the media. I understand that.

My point is that instead of saying that everything would be mighty fine if they didn't hit that many goalposts, I would have liked for him to say what "solutions from within" he had in mind.

Galchenyuk is not a center? Well, work at making him one! And if you fail, at least you'll know the status quo is not an option.

MB was more defensive than I ever saw him and I expected a little more than that today.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If I was Subban, Eller, Galchenyuk, Price or even Gallagher. I'd give them until training camp and if nothing has really changed, I'd request to be moved.

But you wouldn't have become any of those players with that quitter attitude.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
and I agree with you. For me it's really not the end of the world. He'll learn I think he'll become a very good #1 centerman and a good leader for this team down the road.

He's not going to become a very good #1 center by playing the wing. That will never happen. And listening to Bergevin, who flat out said you might never see him as a center, I really don't see how you're convinced of this.
Quite frankly, Bergevin's response as to why Galchenyuk wasn't ready to play center was borderline insulting. So he's ''not good down low''? But DD is? Find me one offensive center who's good ''down low'' when they come into the NHL.
Even some of the defensive centers that come up need to work on that.
How do you not look at Galchenyuk as a new center and tell him to focus on developing his offense?? Let him develop his offensive skills, and after that, you can work on his defensive side.

It was such a terrible excuse. I still can't believe that's what he said.

my point is it could all be subterfuge to achieve his goals.

if you look at MB's actual moves (so far) they've been more good than bad. so let's not crucify the guy just yet based on one press conference, when we're all still emotional like menopause. :laugh:

Not in the off seasons. He's signed a bunch of marginal players and took other obvious decisions.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To be fair, neither of these guys would have been traded within the division.

Pretty sure people thought Boston would never trade Kessel to Leafs too.
If the cost for Seguin was the same as the Kessel one, I would gladly have done it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That's a shot at the people who think its simple to get this player or that player.

Its a shot at the people who say trade DD and Parenteau for a Top Line Center or winger.
I have not seen one post suggesting that we trade DD and PAP for a top line caliber player. Not once. Matter of fact, most even said to just drop them down to minors.
So stop inventing things.

Bergevin is not an idiot. You do not disclose your intentions publicly during a press conference to the rest of the GMs in the NHL. If you say that your most pressing need is a replacement for DD who you have targeted to remove from the team, then GMs will play hardball when you come calling about a trade.

Its common sense. You NEVER reveal your cards before its time to play.

Bergevin did an excellent job of trolling HFBoards and the Twitter world today. I am sure he is chuckling about it.

Yes, it was brilliant. I'm sure the 29 other GMs have no clue that a team, who barely could score 2g in the POs and has Plek-DD as 1-2 center punch with Weise in top 6, is desperate for offense!
Hmmm...what could the Habs possibly be want!! :facepalm:
All Bergevin did was not add some stress on his shoulders. Had he said we need a top center, but not delivered, then it would blow back in his face. It's not this brilliant ploy to trick other GMs. How freaking dumb do you think they are??

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not just a winger. A Top Line Winger.

Cap hell coming regards.......and no closer to a Cup with our $9 million dollar man and lacking offensive firepower.

I guess you missed the part where Bergevin, yet again, insisted on how it's important to build with defense.
So ya, let's trade our 2 times Norris nominee and 1 time winner out of three years for a top line winger.
Makes. Total. Sense.

Tell us more.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
He's not going to become a very good #1 center by playing the wing. That will never happen. And listening to Bergevin, who flat out said you might never see him as a center, I really don't see how you're convinced of this.
Quite frankly, Bergevin's response as to why Galchenyuk wasn't ready to play center was borderline insulting. So he's ''not good down low''? But DD is? Find me one offensive center who's good ''down low'' when they come into the NHL.
Even some of the defensive centers that come up need to work on that.
How do you not look at Galchenyuk as a new center and tell him to focus on developing his offense?? Let him develop his offensive skills, and after that, you can work on his defensive side.

It was such a terrible excuse. I still can't believe that's what he said.

Giroux started on the wing for Philly and turned out just fine. Same for Seguin, Pavelski, Backes. Even Malkin to a certain extent. I'll turn the question around and ask you for a list of players who have busted because they started by playing wing in the league. MacKinnon is doing the same in Colorado and is looking just fine. Even LeBrun said today that Galchenyuk has some gowing up to do. Pretty sure Habs don't want Galchenyuk to just be better than Desharnais. They want him to listen to his coaches and be a leader on his team. He'll play at center on their terms (Habs) not on his.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
What a profoundly depressing press conference. I will judge Bergen on his moves first and foremost, but this press conference made my enthusiasm about him go from 9/10 to 1/10.

He's wrong on just about all fronts and right only on Petry and letting go those UFAs (a no brainer decision that everyone in the hockey world agrees on).

He just churned out excuse after excuse after excuse... now we know where Therrien gets it from.

So you basically agree with all concrete moves he's making short term.

All the rest is just words.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Giroux started on the wing for Philly and turned out just fine. Same for Seguin, Pavelski, Backes. Even Malkin to a certain extent. I'll turn the question around and ask you for a list of players who have busted because they started by playing wing in the league. MacKinnon is doing the same in Colorado and is looking just fine. Even LeBrun said today that Galchenyuk has some gowing up to do. Pretty sure Habs don't want Galchenyuk to just be better than Desharnais. They want him to listen to his coaches and be a leader on his team. He'll play at center on their terms (Habs) not on his.

-Giroux..ya..Flyers traded some guys to make room for him right? Didn't he have a certain Richards and Carter ahead of him? He also was already playing center as a sophomore, so not sure what you're talking about.

-Seguin, ya, he was playing behind Bergeron and Krejci. Boston didn't want to move either of them to make room for Seguin. Wasn't that a great decision..Not.

-Pavelski, was a full time center by year 3. Prior to that, the Sharks used Marleau as a center.

-Backes, he was never viewed as a skilled center. Blues also had Weight and McClement that they wanted to develop.

-Malkin was used as a center right from his rookie year. He also played wing, when they wanted to use a full out power line, but he centered the second line.

-McKinnon is only played in his second season and I wouldn't say he's ''looking fine'' scoring just 14g 38pts in 64gp this year, which is quite a drop from the previous year. That said, Colorado has O'Reilly and Duchesne as centers too.

So ya, every player you named was either playing behind other great names or got to play center within their 2nd or 3rd year. Also, none of them had their GM come out to say they may never play center, mainly because of ''struggles'' down low.

I love how this is now being switched to Galchenyuk apparently not listening to his coaches. That's so freaking lame.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
-Giroux..ya..Flyers traded some guys to make room for him right? Didn't he have a certain Richards and Carter ahead of him? He also was already playing center as a sophomore, so not sure what you're talking about.

-Seguin, ya, he was playing behind Bergeron and Krejci. Boston didn't want to move either of them to make room for Seguin. Wasn't that a great decision..Not.

-Pavelski, was a full time center by year 3. Prior to that, the Sharks used Marleau as a center.

-Backes, he was never viewed as a skilled center. Blues also had Weight and McClement that they wanted to develop.

-Malkin was used as a center right from his rookie year. He also played wing, when they wanted to use a full out power line, but he centered the second line.

-McKinnon is only played in his second season and I wouldn't say he's ''looking fine'' scoring just 14g 38pts in 64gp this year, which is quite a drop from the previous year. That said, Colorado has O'Reilly and Duchesne as centers too.

So ya, every player you named was either playing behind other great names or got to play center within their 2nd or 3rd year. Also, none of them had their GM come out to say they may never play center, mainly because of ''struggles'' down low.

I love how this is now being switched to Galchenyuk apparently not listening to his coaches. That's so freaking lame.

:laugh:

ok whatever.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Have to say I am troubled by how MB spoke. Up to now I always thought he did fine, but today he said stupid things, and I have never heard him say stupid things before. I could tell the guy had passion and emotion, but today they made him defensive and over the top at times.

Sure the man is not going to trash coaches at any level, but it was so blind. I mean say coaching was good and he is happy, but, concerned about answers to the PP. But okay.

My big shock was the center talk.

Developing players not to jeopardize winning ? Stupid talk. Okay, all prospects traded for vets.What of all non two way vets who regularly make errors ?

Cant trade for top center and screws it up on recent trades ? Cant develop ? Shot at Timmins|?

Was DD a winger when brought up ? Oh, he played center in AHL, so Chuck not developed right ?

We need a top center, Chuck our best hope . He played some games last year . Was he minus 25 ? Did we lose all the games ? What is the harm in playing him there ? Just like what is the harm in Eller on PP ? Not his role ? Really ?

PK treatment ? Stupid then, stupid now. Okay, couldnt remember MB stupid before, but there you go.

Real bad. Eller I think gone. Chuckie will be not given full chance . Maybe he isnt cut out as a center, lets have fun, try him. Other teams will, when this guy gets the heck out of here.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
MB is proving to be the idiot I thought he was from the beginning, every time he opens his mouth it's a bunch of babbling nonsense.

Why can't we hire someone smart for once?

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I swear some here would spin trading Price for an 8th rounder and say management did great and have great forsight shedding cap space.

Its always deflect. Cant have any criticism

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I have no clue if Chucky is a solution at Center. But the only thing Plex and DD are solutions for is to not win the Cup and lose in the playoffs.... This PC was a marketing disaster

Number 1- He came out like he takes the fans for idiots. That somehow there's a possibility we're winning the Cup with DD and Plex. Can't believe he believes that... Number 2- If there's nothing to do to upgrade, why did he even bother taking the job in the first place... You come up with a solution to the team's problems.... Our current Centers won't win the Cup... If he thinks his job is not to win the Cup, then that's an issue ownership needs to deal with...

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I swear some here would spin trading Price for an 8th rounder and say management did great and have great forsight shedding cap space.

Its always deflect. Cant have any criticism

I don't know if you're referring to me but I was pretty critical of the McCarron pick.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013

Im 100% with you on this. I love Galchenyuk but he definitely is not strong enough at this point to be an elite centre. Ive watched a lot of interviews over the last couple years and he doesn't appear to be a confident young man ala Gallagher or Subban. I personally don't think he minds playing the wing sort of out of the limelight. Im hoping he gains strength, composure and confidence that Gallagher already possesses.
I didn't mind Bergevins reference to play station. I know he doesn't play it but he was trying to get a point across. To get an elite centre the cost would be Carey at a minimum. And none of you want that.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I have no clue if Chucky is a solution at Center. But the only thing Plex and DD are solutions for is to not win the Cup and lose in the playoffs.... This PC was a marketing disaster

Number 1- He came out like he takes the fans for idiots. That somehow there's a possibility we're winning the Cup with DD and Plex. Can't believe he believes that... Number 2- If there's nothing to do to upgrade, why did he even bother taking the job in the first place... You come up with a solution to the team's problems.... Our current Centers won't win the Cup... If he thinks his job is not to win the Cup, then that's an issue ownership needs to deal with...

For now, I'm willing to buy the "it's just PR stuff" argument. Maybe it was and there will be significant changes made to our centerline this summer. It's a shame that this doesn't leave much room for discussing now, but it's a valid point.

However, should very few changes be made this summer, people will rightly come back to what was said during this presser as what Bergevin really believes. And if this occurs, I look forward to seeing how people would defend Bergevin then.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Why do the habs need an elite center?

Can't they settle for an upgrade over Desharnais and Plekanecs?

Hell there are plenty of guys like that out there. Well maybe not better than Pleks, but surely an asnwer can be found outside the organization that doesn't have to be "elite".

Why the dramatics from bergevin? Ya obviously if you want Crosby your giving up Price. But we don't need a Crosby. We just need a guy that is better than Desharnais.

Upgrade please and thank you. If Galchenyuk develops into a 25 goal 50-60 point winger that isn't all that bad at all.

But find a decent centerman. Doesn't have to be a Tavares, or Crosby.

I would be very happy with a 2nd tier guy instead of 4th rate Desharnais

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
You have to wonder how long Price sticks around for the mediocrity?

A guy like that could easily just move on after his contract if you aren't going to build around him. Three years left on his contract.

I know that if I had a GM who would rather make excuses when his mantra is "no excuses" as to why he doesn't solve the teams problems I would be fed up.

All Bergevin seems to do is build the team defensively. But even the Devils had Elias and other scorers that could change the game with their offensive game.

I'm sorry but Pacioretty alone and a 25 goal 50 point Gallagher just aren't enough.

I expect Galchenyuk to play better next year regardless of position and contribute more offensively.

But the whole year and playoffs of DD as top powerplay guy should indicate that your coaching staff is incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad