Speculation: Off-Season 2013 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Franson is a perfect fit here, get it done Yzerman! The issue is that they're a contending team, and will want a player who can step in right away on a fairly reasonable contract. I wonder if they'd be interested in taking Aulie back, I know he was a fan favorite during his time in Toronto. Of course, we'd have to add to that, but I think it's a good starting point.

I think they are looking for a pick and a prospect.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I honestly don't see it happening. They will be in our division next year. If hey want to trade him it will likely be elsewhere.

Based on their recent history, Toronto is one team certainly not adverse to trading within their own division.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Never understood the whole "they won't trade within their division" thing. It's absurd to me. If it's a good deal that betters your team, you make the deal, regardless of who you face two more times in the season.

Wizeman*

Hi Everyone.

I did not see an introduction thread but this is my first post! I am so excited for both the Lightning and the Panthers. I live in South West Florida and have been a hockey fan all my life.

I am sad to see Vinny go but have high hopes for the Bolts this season.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Hi Everyone.

I did not see an introduction thread but this is my first post! I am so excited for both the Lightning and the Panthers. I live in South West Florida and have been a hockey fan all my life.

Welcome to the mad house! :)

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Hi Everyone.

Liar. I see 6 posts by your name.

Hello :)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hi Everyone.

PICK A SIDE!!!!

Welcome.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
So let me get this straight. You want a physical dman, but don't want Franson who registered 124 hits in 45 games, but you do want Klesla who registered 40 hits in 38 games?

Who do we have on defense that can provide offense and play a top 4 role outside of Hedman? Your assessment of Franson "really struggling in his own end" is also unfounded.

guess had franson stats wrong. Didnt watch him enough? I also thought he gave up first goal in final game on a pass? Why thought yep hit two goals but gave up two? Struggling at own end is what the boards claim on him.

I am ok with him just wish we could dump malone for a top 4 dman and dont think that is option with toronto. I think we need two guys not one overall so would like both so connolly for franson as have said and malone for klesla works for me:) Would like to move brewer or figure we will find out its time to move him this year. Maybe he becomes brewer of old maybe malone reverts and isnt injured half the season yet I doubt it on both accounts.

I think carle is fine providing offense and playing top four. If look at his stats last 3-4 years per minute he is in league lead for those his age production etc.. at least in points so he is adequate to me and I think he is a lot better player than we tampa fans give him credit for.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
guess had franson stats wrong. Didnt watch him enough? I also thought he gave up first goal in final game on a pass? Why thought yep hit two goals but gave up two? Struggling at own end is what the boards claim on him.

I am ok with him just wish we could dump malone for a top 4 dman and dont think that is option with toronto. I think we need two guys not one overall so would like both so connolly for franson as have said and malone for klesla works for me:) Would like to move brewer or figure we will find out its time to move him this year. Maybe he becomes brewer of old maybe malone reverts and isnt injured half the season yet I doubt it on both accounts.

I think carle is fine providing offense and playing top four. If look at his stats last 3-4 years per minute he is in league lead for those his age production etc.. at least in points so he is adequate to me and I think he is a lot better player than we tampa fans give him credit for.

He gave up goals in that last game, just like every other defenseman on the Leafs roster. Unless you're claiming that every Leafs defenseman "struggles in his own end" or are admitting to using one game as your reference point for Franson's defensive ability.

He was one of the Leafs' best defensemen all season and there's only a small minority that claim he's "not good" or "poor defensively". Those are the same fans that are currently unhappy with everything the Leafs do and want a complete makeover of the organization/management and roster.

The Leafs are dealing from a disadvantage, so I don't think we'd even have to give up Connolly to get Franson.

Adding Franson has nothing to do with Carle's performance last season. We could definitely use an upgrade to our top 4 and Franson also happens to be a relatively young, right-handed defenseman.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
He gave up goals in that last game, just like every other defenseman on the Leafs roster. Unless you're claiming that every Leafs defenseman "struggles in their own end" or are admitting to using one game as your reference point for Franson's defensive ability.

He was one of the Leafs' best defensemen all season and there's only a small minority that claim he's "not good" or "poor defensively". Those are the same fans that are currently unhappy with everything the Leafs do and want a complete makeover of the organization/management and roster.

The Leafs are dealing from a disadvantage, so I don't think we'd even have to give up Connolly to get Franson.

Sergeev and a third?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Don't know if I'm just being a homer and can't wait to watch this team but the more I read about Cooper and hear him talk, I feel like this team will actually be a difficult team to play against and we may actually do ok this year. Anybody thinking playoffs? I'm not going to make such predictions but I think it may not be as crazy as many think it is. I will just shut up and wait for the games to be played :blah:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Don't know if I'm just being a homer and can't wait to watch this team but the more I read about Cooper and hear him talk, I feel like this team will actually be a difficult team to play against and we may actually do ok this year. Anybody thinking playoffs? I'm not going to make such predictions but I think it may not be as crazy as many think it is. I will just shut up and wait for the games to be played :blah:

We could be the Habs of last year. There's a lot of similarities, actually. We finished low but had a (relatively) good goal differential for where we finished. We got a new coach that changes the identity of the team a good bit. We're a highly skilled team. So... we'll see. I won't say I'm expecting playoffs, but I don't think it would be a huge shock for it to happen.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

This is a heart thing. Heart wise I have two questions malone and brewer. Have they lost a step. I seriously doubt either can be player whom we brought in 3 years ago. If we ship them at or before trade deadline I think we can steal the last spot with luck us ending 14-20 games at home will be huge. Think is gonna be 5-6 teams within 2-3 points for final two spots at the very least. We are going to be one of those teams.

Yet we will not get in without malone and brewer upgrading the last two years of play. I would like us to make two moves and get two d men one ready for top 4 and one whom projects top four whom is ready for full time duty just not enough time to get in top four and want them rh d gritty physical shut down types. We have plenty of puck carrying skilled d men now we need some bruiser types.

I did projections on detroit board yesterday and really believe we have to fight the three canadian teams for that final spot. I also believe in other division columbus can steal that final spot and washington becomes a major casualty.

We have a lot of favor with schedule etc.. Is up to guys being accountable in own end and learning to all play solidly and smarter hockey. Is not a huge change.

Cooper will not allow guys to camp in front of nets. We will hit more and be more physical than last year. We will limit the odd man rushes by being a more traditional less confusing team.

I worry on our ability to get pucks out of our end and get deep and chase pucks. Yet we are a much better roster this year than last at those areas. DONT yell at me about losing vinny lol I am talking about kids coming up whom are used to coopers style and valtteri whom is good two way player.

Drouin will probably be weakest defense wise on team this year but will work at it hard and his upside on scoring cannot be diminished to overlook mistakes he will make next 2-3 years. I think down road he will be comparable to st louis on defense not as good but good enough solid enough but that is gonna take some time. Vladdy will be solid two way when comes panik killorn johnson palat are all good at two way play and all hit even if is not biggest hitters or guys:) Connolly might come up and his weakness is still defense also but is getting a lot better and BIGGER!! Which will help him:)

So yes with luck we get that fourth spot and columbus steals the fifth or other way around boston and detroit are easily better than everyone else with us fighting in order I think montreal ottawa and toronto. Think other division of ny rangers and philadelphia are also better than us with pittsburgh winning most games but a joke and easy out for the really tough teams IE detroit and boston in playoffs.

I think as stands if do nothing and can be wrong:) We fall short but if we move malone and or prospects when needed and cover brewers defienciencies cant spell? with a couple d men for playoff push at trade deadline at latest with schedule we are the team to beat for those final two spots. Yet we will see is long season think will be teams in a lot of salary cap problems and if a main cog goes down and they dont have guys to come up they will really be hurting we seem to have that covered.

I would like 9 d men ready to play couple whom can play for or ready for some time in top four. We dont have that and think is vital to address this year to make the run.

We compete are right there but will fall short without those moves. If make those moves which expect we sneak in this year because of other teams being unable to address their needs with cap issues or lack of talent to get someone needed at right time to make a difference:) etc..

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I still think Columbus will still be a little bit away from making the playoffs, and Toronto won't replicate what they did last year, at least not yet.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I love how every post he makes there's an entire evaluation of the team. Regardless of how completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...n-syracuse-players-to-boost-lightning/2134370

A little bit of everything in today's Times
Unless a must-do trade falls into his lap, GM Steve Yzerman said the Lightning will fill its final roster spots with players from AHL Syracuse.

"It's an exciting opportunity," Yzerman said. "I hope that they sense that." ...

Yzerman could have looked to free agency to fill these depth positions but said that would send the wrong message to Syracuse's players: "Some of them have played two full years in the minors and done very well. I have to give them an opportunity to take a step forward right now."
David Alexander was hired as Syracuse's goaltenders coach, a move Yzerman said had nothing to do with the job Lightning coach Frantz Jean did with the Crunch and all to do with giving Syracuse's goalies "adequate attention and appropriate time."

In addition to duties with Tampa Bay, Jean worked at Syracuse and ECHL Florida in Estero, near Fort Myers.

"Obviously, he can't be in two places at once," Yzerman said. "We just found that it's very difficult with both clubs and, for that matter, with our affiliation with (Florida). It's stretching Frantz really thin. We've been talking for a while we should add a second guy in the American League."
The contract with Swiss F Ritu Suri was voided because the Swiss federation — unexpectedly, Yzerman said — did not sign on to a player transfer agreement between the NHL and the International Ice Hockey Federation. "If next year there's an agreement in place, we'd definitely like to sign him," Yzerman said.
Yzerman said he still expects to add an assistant with NHL experience to the Lightning staff.
The only thing holding up the signing of Gudelvskis is notification he is released from his KHL contract with Dinamo Riga.
Sounds as if training camp next month will be at the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
SunSports and Fox Sports Florida are going to air a program that goes behind the scenes at the 2013 NHL draft. It follows the Panthers, Lightning, Predators, and Hurricanes as they prepare for the draft.

Air dates are:

Friday, August 2, at 11:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports South
Monday, August 5, at 7:00 p.m. ET on Sun Sports
Thursday, August 8, at 9:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports Florida

http://www.rawcharge.com/2013/8/2/4...nd-the-scenes-program-from-the-2013-nhl-draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad