Speculation: Off-Season 2013 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Hey, wait a minute...isn't Brett Clark a free agent? :laugh: (jk)

Also left on the scrap heap of free agency; Fistric, Lydman, Hainsey, White, Whitney, Redden, Aucoin, Murray, Martinek, Poti. Not the most enticing group, but half of them could slot somewhere between 4-7 on our roster. I agree with Robertguess that we need at least 1 more defenseman. If there is no dance partner to trade with I'm fine with Obyrne or most of the retreads above, at the very least as camp invitees.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Hey, wait a minute...isn't Brett Clark a free agent? :laugh: (jk)

Also left on the scrap heap of free agency; Fistric, Lydman, Hainsey, White, Whitney, Redden, Aucoin, Murray, Martinek, Poti. Not the most enticing group, but half of them could slot somewhere between 4-7 on our roster. I agree with Robertguess that we need at least 1 more defenseman. If there is no dance partner to trade with I'm fine with Obyrne or most of the retreads above, at the very least as camp invitees.

Those are the two names that stand out to me on that list.

I think Hainsey could be a good addition, if not helping the general spirit of our d, by that I mean big but soft.

And depending just how bad Murray's mobility has got he could be useful on the bottom pairing as our d are all pretty mobile, except obviously Brewer. And a Murray-Gudas pairing could be fun.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Brett Clark was surprisingly good on the PP, with the limited time he had with it.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Those are the two names that stand out to me on that list.

I think Hainsey could be a good addition, if not helping the general spirit of our d, by that I mean big but soft.

And depending just how bad Murray's mobility has got he could be useful on the bottom pairing as our d are all pretty mobile, except obviously Brewer. And a Murray-Gudas pairing could be fun.

If we thought Brewer or Kubina were slow, why in the bloody hell would we want Douglas Murray anywhere near our roster. We probably got slower just talking about him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There's gonna be lots of good young D going on waivers once camp starts, I'm sure we stand pat and pick up someone then. We don't need to pick up anyone now just so they can sit in the press box all year. We can get by with Lee or Taormina as our 6 for a few games if needed.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I don't want any of the following, but also left in the bargain basement bin of free agent defensemen;

Gilbert, Coliacovo, Montador, Gill, Kaberle, Zanon, Vandemeer, Alberts, Barker, Huskins, Woywitka, Oberg(ing), Parent, XLB, Hamrlik, Eminger, Teubert, Wishart, and Matt (uthoughtbrettclarksucked) Walker.

Too few definite job openings and too little cap space league wide means most of the damaged goods left are going to have to settle for scraps just to keep playing. Are contracts under $900k the equivalent of veteran 2-ways now? Curious to see how it all plays out by seasons start.

Hope we get another d-man before camp rather than after. Hedman and Carle are the only D we have that don't need someone capable of stealing their job breathing down their backside*. All the rest are as incomplete in some fashion as the best of the FA scrap heap**. At worst, I KNOW we can do better than Brian Lee, but what does it hurt having someone capable of jumping higher than that?

(*not to be confused with me saying Salo and Gudas suck, they don't)
(**I also get that barring trade Brewer's salary likely means he stays up)

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
said:
Quote:
The contract with Swiss F Ritu Suri was voided because the Swiss federation — unexpectedly, Yzerman said — did not sign on to a player transfer agreement between the NHL and the International Ice Hockey Federation. "If next year there's an agreement in place, we'd definitely like to sign him," Yzerman said.

I really like we have not given up on suri though undersized kid seems to have a vast talent.

According to Swiss News, the Suri affair with Tampa isn't over yet. In fact their is a possible gentlemen agreement that is generally applied (in Switzerland, we are Gentlemens ;-) ) where the player would be allowed to go and if he comes back, or when he comes back, his former Swiss team can claim exclusivity ... . Very braodly ... i don't know the details of such an agreement.

Suri comments on top of this, that both (Ligntenings and him) are still interested ... but that many thing can happen in one year, Tampa can change opinion and plans and he can also deem he is NHL unready and needs another year. He definitely wants to come to the NHL, but definitely doesn't feel ready yet and definitely thinks that the best place to become NHL ready is in NLA (Swiss league).

http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/33878

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't want any of the following, but also left in the bargain basement bin of free agent defensemen;

Gilbert, Coliacovo, Montador, Gill, Kaberle, Zanon, Vandemeer, Alberts, Barker, Huskins, Woywitka, Oberg(ing), Parent, XLB, Hamrlik, Eminger, Teubert, Wishart, and Matt (uthoughtbrettclarksucked) Walker.

Too few definite job openings and too little cap space league wide means most of the damaged goods left are going to have to settle for scraps just to keep playing. Are contracts under $900k the equivalent of veteran 2-ways now? Curious to see how it all plays out by seasons start.

Hope we get another d-man before camp rather than after. Hedman and Carle are the only D we have that don't need someone capable of stealing their job breathing down their backside*. All the rest are as incomplete in some fashion as the best of the FA scrap heap**. At worst, I KNOW we can do better than Brian Lee, but what does it hurt having someone capable of jumping higher than that?

(*not to be confused with me saying Salo and Gudas suck, they don't)
(**I also get that barring trade Brewer's salary likely means he stays up)

All the names you mentioned are bottom pair guys and veterans, they should be able to jump into the lineup easily. I say that cause I think we give Barberio, Taormina, Lee and our other prospects every chance to make the team. SY wants to build from within and with players close to our core age.

LA might have to waive a player like Martinez who I'll take over anybody on that list. If we sign someone now we just take away a contract spot for a waiver claim or two.

Fat Tony TBL

Jun 18, 2012
I'm a little disappointed Mike Lundin wasn't offered a contract, at the very least if he didn't want a 2-way, he could of probably been signed 1-way for really cheap and buried in the minors if he isn't doing well as a 6th or 7th guy, but he hasn't really cut it anywhere since leaving, with major injuries and depth of the two other teams MIN and OTT hes been on. Sure hes not going to knock someone thru the glass but he was a decent shut down guy, great positionally and hes experienced, and knows some of the guys and the area.... if you remember Yzerman wanted to keep him but didn't want to pay him more if he went to arbitration, so he wasn't qualified....similar to whats going on with Cody Franson in Toronto....I believe Mike signed a contract in the KHL this off season....

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
TL;DR Sens fans beating each other off over Karlsson and Hedman is a bust.
Don't forget: Erik Johnson is good too!!!11

Gudas expected to wear #7 and Tyler Johnson to wear #9.

https://twitter.com/BBreseman/status/365151130579251202
Meh, I liked Gudas wearing #75. It's a unique and cool looking number IMO. Even TyJo's #63 wasn't bad but #9 is obviously better (may The Downie live on through him).

[...] I believe Mike [Lundin] signed a contract in the KHL this off season....
That is correct. He has signed with Astana (KHL).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I liked Gudas wearing "75". As Barry Zito said "It provides a nice shelf for my name." Johnson wore 9 for Spokane so it fits.

TJohnny also wore #9 for the Crunch, and it's in his twitter name.

Here's a question. Who here likes Gudas in another number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad