Speculation: Off-Season 2013 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Since #7 was a number I once wore in my "glorious" soccer and baseball days, and I have a beard...I love Gudas wearing #7. The unique-ness of #75 was awesome, but #7 has staying power.

George Costanza likes it too...

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Since #7 was a number I once wore in my "glorious" soccer and baseball days, and I have a beard...I love Gudas wearing #7. The unique-ness of #75 was awesome, but #7 has staying power.
I think that #75 fits a physical player. Just like Lindros' #88. It fills out the whole jersey, it's big, it's mean, it's unique. But #7 is also fine I guess.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Hedman+Gudas=Jackpot!! 777! Turn the Jumbotron into a giant slot machine paying out anytime either scores.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I know it doesn't make sense based on what we're paying him, but would anyone mind Flip being the de facto third line C as opposed to second? Have TJ-Panik-Drouin be the second line and Flip-Purcell-Palat/Malone be the third? Obviously the distinction is important only in ice-time distribution.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
WJC news Adam Erne and comments by stevie

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...g-day-at-world-junior-evaluation-camp/2135487

Also tweeted by bolt prospects say that coop was in albuquerque this morning?

Assistant shopping? Closest to albuquerque team is probably dallas maybe is after willie desjardins he would be a good addition imo:) Dont know whom else it could be in that region?
Closest to Albuquerque is probably Colorado, actually, or maybe Phoenix.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
I remember seeing a video of Jagr strengthening his wrists by strapping ankle weights to his hockey stick, then doing some puckhandling drills. That would be a good exercise for Carle to try. It would improve his wrister offensively and the quickness of his stick defensively.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
The more I see on Erne, the more I realize how good of a pick that is looking like. I think that kid is going to develop into a hell of a player for us in a few years.

Yeah Erne is interesting doubt he ever is Elite but solid good player I am pretty sure. He really seems like a said a downey 2.0 doesn't stand out in crowd but keep head up on the ice with him. Cause he does like to do the hammer play a lot. I think he likes hitting someone up in the air more than scoring a goal. A good mentality looking into the future of our people:)

I really like him had him with Mantha as the steals in this draft. That is not just because of these are my favorite teams detroit and tampa I pretty much did a ton of research and both dropped a lot mantha should be top 10 Erne should be in top 20. So quite the steal for both teams.

Worse case scenario think Erne can be a very dangerous grind line like person in future. Because of his skill set he will be able to bring that feisty play that thompson has and be a true great asset on that line. He has the skills and size to play on upper lines though just am unsure where we place him with all the talent we will have. Can see him getting plenty of time on pp and PK,, pk being he has to work at defense the next three years but even in his words the kid loves to hit people said could see himself playing football to do that the NFL type.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I see him as more of a TJ Oshie type than Downie.

Go view his hits on people you will see it:)

Think is similar to Oshie in love of game passion to play being a character as a person.

Adam likes to hit though and see's self as a power forward. He is a lot bigger and tougher than Oshie. Thats why I see downey that attitude of wanting to crush someone not beat them is a difference and erne has that factor.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Go view his hits on people you will see it:)

Think is similar to Oshie in love of game passion to play being a character as a person.

Adam likes to hit though and see's self as a power forward. He is a lot bigger and tougher than Oshie. Thats why I see downey that attitude of wanting to crush someone not beat them is a difference and erne has that factor.

Downie isn't a hitter like Oshie is, no matter how you dice it. Downies role is being a pest, Oshie is a good two way hard hitting forward. Erne is bigger than him though, i'll give you that.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Team was 23rd in shots on goal last year but 3rd in scoring. I think Cooper has more of a shoot first mentality so hopefully that improves.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Downie isn't a hitter like Oshie is, no matter how you dice it. Downies role is being a pest, Oshie is a good two way hard hitting forward. Erne is bigger than him though, i'll give you that.

Just dont see oshie much only in worlds and against the wings really he had injuries too so missed games etc.. Dont have a full grasp of his game at all. Erne loves to hit someone so hard they fly to me that is downey type of compare him to someone. He seems to have a lot better offensive skills to me than downey.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Just dont see oshie much only in worlds and against the wings really he had injuries too so missed games etc.. Dont have a full grasp of his game at all. Erne loves to hit someone so hard they fly to me that is downey type of compare him to someone. He seems to have a lot better offensive skills to me than downey.

Downie wasn't exactly a slouch though offensively. Yes he was a pest, but he also was pretty damned skilled too.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
That would put him closer to Oshie's style of play rather than Downie's IMO.

Team was 23rd in shots on goal last year but 3rd in scoring. I think Cooper has more of a shoot first mentality so hopefully that improves.
Just imagine all the goals we would've scored! Seriously, with all the negative things that happened last season it's really astonishing how effective the team was in the goal scoring department. Especially since our PP wasn't something to write home about either.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
One month until training camp, woot.

I'm feeling optimistic that we are going to surprise people this season. The guys were better than the record showed last season, they just couldn't snap out of their funk. Our third line is getting a major talent upgrade this season if they go with Palat-Johnson-Panik. We now have a good defense coach in Bowness. We have good motivators in Cooper and Gwoz. We have good depth in case of injuries. The rookies already have the confidence of the head coach, so their transitions should go better than normal. Stamkos and Hedman are getting closer to their prime years. There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about some 2013-2014 sweetness.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
One month until training camp, woot.

I'm feeling optimistic that we are going to surprise people this season. The guys were better than the record showed last season, they just couldn't snap out of their funk. Our third line is getting a major talent upgrade this season if they go with Palat-Johnson-Panik. We now have a good defense coach in Bowness. We have good motivators in Cooper and Gwoz. We have good depth in case of injuries. The rookies already have the confidence of the head coach, so their transitions should go better than normal. Stamkos and Hedman are getting closer to their prime years. There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about some 2013-2014 sweetness.

This is something I am interested in hearing peoples thoughts on. THE FIRST SENTENCE ONE MONTH UNTIL TRAINING CAMP.

IS TRAINING CAMP LONG ENOUGH? So you basically have three weeks and two weeks of games correct? Shouldnt camp be more like a month with extra week to give prospects a longer look? Give more time to work together etc..??

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This is something I am interested in hearing peoples thoughts on. THE FIRST SENTENCE ONE MONTH UNTIL TRAINING CAMP.

IS TRAINING CAMP LONG ENOUGH? So you basically have three weeks and two weeks of games correct? Shouldnt camp be more like a month with extra week to give prospects a longer look? Give more time to work together etc..??

That would be nice. Remember Gary Bettman is the commissioner. Only reason I can think of. The offseason isnt that long to begin with. Especially for the guys returning from playoffs.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
That would be nice. Remember Gary Bettman is the commissioner. Only reason I can think of. The offseason isnt that long to begin with. Especially for the guys returning from playoffs.
Ok so short off season have a kids camp to bring in prospects one week early not the pros so can get a better evaluation of them with the team coaches etc.. Can talk to them work on a few things you see them missing have some scrimmages etc.. that is what I would like to see.

I just think would be nice have one week of skating and to see how kids look etc.. bring in full camp of kids then you have your 2 and half weeks of games than the half week before regular season.

Right now its you have two days of skating 2.5 weeks of games and .5 week before regular season. Or at least that is how camps look to me so 3 weeks total and is primarily just matching up preseason games. So is pretty much 3 weeks total but most of that is a game every other day I just dont see where you get enough evaluation on your youth at that time etc..

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Thats why they have prospects camp. The timing of this is done for a variety of reasons, but the simplest being respect and help to AHL/ECHL/WHL/QMJHL/OHL clubs, as they begin to round out rosters for the season as well. You have to remember all of this stuff isn't easy. Going into camp, you generally have just a handful of kids that you're expecting to make the team (Palat, Panik, Johnson, Barberio, Drouin) and the rest are going to get some professional guidance from coaching and NHL vets. By cramming all of that together you're only making your schedule hell, you're cramming the schedules of these minor GMs, you're expanding your costs by potentially bringing these kids back into town (assuming you're still having prospects camp, otherwise at this point most of the vets/NHLers are roughly three quarters of the way through training programs), and if you're having both, taking unnecessary risk with potential injury. Don't forget, timing is everything. There is plenty to be said about having that last little bit of time off before camp to recharge your batteries, relaxing, spending time with family/partying your ass off a few more times.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Thats why they have prospects camp. The timing of this is done for a variety of reasons, but the simplest being respect and help to AHL/ECHL/WHL/QMJHL/OHL clubs, as they begin to round out rosters for the season as well. You have to remember all of this stuff isn't easy. Going into camp, you generally have just a handful of kids that you're expecting to make the team (Palat, Panik, Johnson, Barberio, Drouin) and the rest are going to get some professional guidance from coaching and NHL vets. By cramming all of that together you're only making your schedule hell, you're cramming the schedules of these minor GMs, you're expanding your costs by potentially bringing these kids back into town (assuming you're still having prospects camp, otherwise at this point most of the vets/NHLers are roughly three quarters of the way through training programs), and if you're having both, taking unnecessary risk with potential injury. Don't forget, timing is everything. There is plenty to be said about having that last little bit of time off before camp to recharge your batteries, relaxing, spending time with family/partying your ass off a few more times.

Ok get the prospect camp but those are not the players I wish to see I want to see the group of kids who deserve a shot at our level the guys in AHL 2 3 4 seasons etc.. Guys who are supposed to be NHL ready just needing a shot. I would also run it a lot differently than a prospect camp situation in that I would scrimmage a couple of full teams a few times to see how they all look. Who can I evaluate and send back down and tell what they need to work on to be NHL ready etc.. Part of the process for me would be sitting down in a room with them and talking going over some of their last year in AHL etc.

I am a hands on guy I did help out once for high school football and appreciated the extra time I got with kids to actually sit down and talk to them before the season started. See where their head was etc.. I worked with a guy one season in basketball a seven footer when began the kid couldnt dribble two times and not lose the ball he never amounted to much but was able to work on some things and he became a backup center for western michigan for two years.

We dont bring everyone to prospect camp if we did would be a different feeling for me:)

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Ok get the prospect camp but those are not the players I wish to see I want to see the group of kids who deserve a shot at our level the guys in AHL 2 3 4 seasons etc.. Guys who are supposed to be NHL ready just needing a shot. I would also run it a lot differently than a prospect camp situation in that I would scrimmage a couple of full teams a few times to see how they all look. Who can I evaluate and send back down and tell what they need to work on to be NHL ready etc.. Part of the process for me would be sitting down in a room with them and talking going over some of their last year in AHL etc.

I am a hands on guy I did help out once for high school football and appreciated the extra time I got with kids to actually sit down and talk to them before the season started. See where their head was etc.. I worked with a guy one season in basketball a seven footer when began the kid couldnt dribble two times and not lose the ball he never amounted to much but was able to work on some things and he became a backup center for western michigan for two years.

We dont bring everyone to prospect camp if we did would be a different feeling for me:)

At lot of this already happens, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad