Speculation: OEL trade speculation megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Still a 7-year, 8.25mill/season gamble.

Brent Seabrook, PK Subban, Duncan Keith are no longer top-pairing guys.

Even the Erik Karlsson & Drew Doughty contracts don't look great, and they were the top-2 dmen in the world not too long ago.
And Suter, Letang, Weber and Burns are still top pairing guys. And the most coveted FA is Pietrangelo...guess there is no point in signing him. He is already 30!

Reactions: _Del_

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Going to be interesting... especially if Canucks or bruins claim to pull out of the running. This screams Kesler situation all over again. Tough for the yotes as they don’t have a ton of leverage here. From a Canucks pov I’d have to think there’s a drop dead date for this potential deal as we have some many other things still on our plate (ufa/rfa resigns, moving money out, etc). Where do bruins sit with this (timeline wise)?
Exactly. Reminds me a lot of Kesler. I can’t see Arizona keeping OEL when it’s got to this stage of negotiating with other teams that he’s agreed to waive to. He’s the captain of the team and was just signed to a huge deal. I think it’s past the point of no return.
As a Canucks fan I just hope Benning holds firm on his offer. If we get OEL at a below market price and replace some dead cap space for a couple of years that’s a solid deal. But given his age (relative to our core) and his cap hit in a stagnant cap world I’d be fine if we just rode out the bad contracts this year and went after a young guy next year.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The way I worded my initial response may have been confusing, but yes the relationship between OEL and RT has essentially been sour from the start. OEL has not played two is the best ability under RT, and there was noted rifts between the two about captaincy and usage.

Nobody has played their best under RT, maybe Kuemper aside. Tocchet's destruction of talent is a much bigger problem than OEL.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Nobody has played their best under RT, maybe Kuemper aside. Tocchet's destruction of talent is a much bigger problem than OEL.
Pretty much 10/10 Coyotes fans would love to have the end result of any of this be RT being canned. Certainly preferable than trading a top pair D for peanuts. Trading OEL for a good return AND canning Tocchet would probably be ideal long-term.

Reactions: CLW

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Coyotes are looking for futures and flexibility for a rare asset while they don't anticipate being relevant. All accounts are that OEL is reluctant to leave. That's basically the opposite of the Kesler situation. If you want to trade a guy for futures and flexibility and you don't have offers that do that, why would you force yourself into a trade? You just keep the minute munching dman and try again later.
Radio guys in Van are quoting an NHL insider (didn’t pick up the name) who is just now Tweeting OEL has played his last game for the Coyotes. Maybe someone else (I don’t have Twitter) can find the exact quote?

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

This much we know: Oliver Ekman-Larsson has almost certainly played his last game for the Arizona Coyotes, and he’d like to play his next one for either the Vancouver Canucks or Boston Bruins.
Attempts to get the Coyotes captain to expand the list of destinations he’d waive a no-movement clause for have proven unsuccessful. Ekman-Larsson feels he signed with Arizona in good faith and if the Coyotes want to move on, he’s earned the right to use his NMC.
So, barring a last-minute change of heart, it’s either going to be Vancouver or Boston.
Neither of those teams owns its 2020 first-round pick, which means a potential return likely starts with a 2021 first and includes a prospect, plus another pick. This isn’t an easy deal for new Arizona general manager Bill Armstrong to maneuver because he’s dealing with a limited market

The Coyotes like Boston’s prospects more than Vancouver’s, but, on the weekend, it seemed like the Canucks were the more motivated buyer, liking the idea of a long-time left side of Ekman-Larsson and Quinn Hughes. It is believed Arizona asked about Thatcher Demko, which would have been a non-starter.
Armstrong was in St. Louis when the Blues acquired Ryan O’Reilly in a package that included a first-rounder, a second-rounder and Tage Thompson. It would make sense if he tried to model this deal after that one.
Everyone’s grinding away here

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And if they do it shows you their desperation level to get rid of this contract.
I think they'd prefer not to pay him since they don't anticipate being extremely competitive during a rebuild. But I also think his value in a rebuild insulating young guys by eating minutes is more valueable than taking scraps back. They already have very little money committed to 2021 even with OEL. I think you just eat it or approach it later if the best offer is Juolevi and second and Eriksson or whatever the Canucks fantasy is. I don't think talks would have lasted this long if that was the Canucks opening offer.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think they'd prefer not to pay him since they don't anticipate being extremely competitive during a rebuild. But I also think his value in a rebuild insulating young guys by eating minutes is more valueable than taking scraps back. They already have very little money committed to 2021 even with OEL. I think you just eat it or approach it later if the best offer is Juolevi and second and Eriksson or whatever the Canucks fantasy is. I don't think talks would have lasted this long if that was the Canucks opening offer.
I think the offer is obviously better than that as well. Probably a roster player, a cap dump, a pick and a prospect would be my best guess. Roster player could be Virtanen?
The prospect part may be the sticking point.

Reactions: _Del_

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Going to be interesting... especially if Canucks or bruins claim to pull out of the running. This screams Kesler situation all over again. Tough for the yotes as they don’t have a ton of leverage here. From a Canucks pov I’d have to think there’s a drop dead date for this potential deal as we have some many other things still on our plate (ufa/rfa resigns, moving money out, etc). Where do bruins sit with this (timeline wise)?

Bruins certainly need things settled before free agency opens. The draft I think is a softer deadline, but it might be a deadline for Rask movement which would certainly have a potential effect on dealings with Arizona.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Sure sounds like the B’s would rather keep Krug than trade for OEL. So that means it’s down to just the Canucks. I don’t think unfair deals are good, but this is looking like the new Coyote GM is being forced into accepting one. (Heard they are trying to trade Hall’s rights, and trading Kuemper too?)

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I’d ask for Pod too if I was Armstrong.

Thing is Vancouver doesn’t have time for games with all the FAs we got. Our deadline to get a deal done is probably the draft after which all attention will be on our UFAs, turning this into a 1 horse race. Time is ticking, but with the way news is coming out I believe a deal will be done today.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
So Arizona really wants to move him, OEL will only accept to go to either Vancouver or Boston, Vancouver doesn't have the cap space and/or realistic assets to get him and Boston's interest is lukewarm at best. Odd situation.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad