Speculation: OEL trade speculation megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
they want to keep both goalies but with the nod to Demko...he's just not ready to be #1A yet

That doesn't make any sense. Markstrom isn't going to sign a long-term deal with the Nucks to be the 1B. They have to decide who is going to be the starter moving forward which is why this is such a tough decision to make.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If the plan is to resign Markstrom to a long-term deal why would Demko be off the table?

Benning wants to run with both goalies next season and then make a decision. It’s a big reason why Markstrom likely hasn’t re-signed yet as they don’t want to give him expansion draft protection.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Benning wants to run with both goalies next season and then make a decision. It’s a big reason why Markstrom likely hasn’t re-signed yet as they don’t want to give him expansion draft protection.

Lehner got a small NTC on his deal, ZERO reason for Canucks to offer a NMC, some kind of NTC like Lehner's sure...

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Hope not,as our RH side D is our weakest position and we have no none ready to take Tanev’s role.I’d rather let Marky go and pair up Demko with a veteran UFA as a 1A/1B tandem to save cap that way.

On the other hand,with Hughes and OEL as your top LHD’s, you don’t need to pair them with high priced RHD’s,you just need guys who are strong defensively who can move the puck quickly to others.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Take it with a grain of salt.

Somone on Sportsnet 650, just a caller, said he knows in good faith through an agent connection that the OEL to Canucks trade is only waiting on Markstrom.

He says that the Yotes have already accepted the Canucks offer but the Canucks put a contingent on it that they will only do it if Markstrom takes a discount and signs their current offer so that they can fit OEL into the cap.

He says they are trying to leverage Markstrom into taking a friendlier deal because him and OEL are very very good friends.

He says that once you hear a Markstrom to the Canucks signing announced, then the OEL trade should be announced shortly after.

He said he didnt know what the accepted Canuck offer is.

Looks like Canucks are trying to kill 2 birds with one stone which is causing the delay

FAMOUSfin

Oct 11, 2011
Hope not,as our RH side D is our weakest position and we have no none ready to take Tanev’s role.I’d rather let Marky go and pair up Demko with a veteran UFA as a 1A/1B tandem to save cap that way.

On the other hand,with Hughes and OEL as your top LHD’s, you don’t need to pair them with high priced RHD’s,you just need guys who are strong defensively who can move the puck quickly to others.

If OEL comes to van, I think either him or Hughes could play the right side.

Reactions: BCNate

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Seems like if you wanted Markstrom to take a discount, you'd complete the OEL trade first, not the other way around, but who knows.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Seems like if you wanted Markstrom to take a discount, you'd complete the OEL trade first, not the other way around, but who knows.

No because Markstrom they probably prioritize more.

Don't think they want OEL if it means they wont have room for Markstrom.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
If OEL comes to van, I think either him or Hughes could play the right side.

I’d rather split them up at ES as you could have either one of the on the ice for almost 50 minutes a game rather than 25.
Also,it’s kind of redundant to have them together full time as both are so good with the puck on their stick and can control the play so well.

I’m all aboard having them play together on the PP though,that would be pretty great.

Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ok so if markstrom doesn’t sign with us right.... which gives us even more cap room oel offer falls through ? How does that even make any sense at all?

Jim sounds as confused as he did at the 2016 draft when he was hit with tampering allegations.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Take it with a grain of salt.

Somone on Sportsnet 650, just a caller, said he knows in good faith through an agent connection that the OEL to Canucks trade is only waiting on Markstrom.

He says that the Yotes have already accepted the Canucks offer but the Canucks put a contingent on it that they will only do it if Markstrom takes a discount and signs their current offer so that they can fit OEL into the cap.

He says they are trying to leverage Markstrom into taking a friendlier deal because him and OEL are very very good friends.

He says that once you hear a Markstrom to the Canucks signing announced, then the OEL trade should be announced shortly after.

He said he didnt know what the accepted Canuck offer is.

Looks like Canucks are trying to kill 2 birds with one stone which is causing the delay

This does make sense. Whether or not it's legit, it is logical.

sw0op1985

Sep 16, 2020
That doesn't make any sense. Markstrom isn't going to sign a long-term deal with the Nucks to be the 1B. They have to decide who is going to be the starter moving forward which is why this is such a tough decision to make.

they want both starters for at least this season and rumors have it tried to structure it so that its not a no brainer for Seattle to take Markstrom

JB has gone on record saying Demko is the goalie of the future

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
they want both starters for at least this season and rumors have it tried to structure it so that its not a no brainer for Seattle to take Markstrom

JB has gone on record saying Demko is the goalie of the future
So why would Markstrom sign? He’s earned a chance to choose where he plays. Not to be a pawn for Seattle expansion

sw0op1985

Sep 16, 2020
So why would Markstrom sign? He’s earned a chance to choose where he plays. Not to be a pawn for Seattle expansion

Familiarity/Home/Teammates/Goalie coach

this guy was in the gutters before Vancouver and he was revivd here with the support we had...its not alwasy roses whenever you depart to a different city...yes the money and term might be great but if your play sucks is it worth it? (ie. Ehrhoff)

If the above post is true and if he signs, OEL is coming right after then it sounds like the team is going for teh cup this year that could be another point for Marky

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I just don't understand this deal from a Bruins perspective. They have some cap flexibility, and don't need to unload much salary to make this happen. I can't see any of the UFA D getting 8.25 x 7, other than possibly AP. Why give up assets for OEL, when you can retain Krug for free, or get AP in a similar deal without giving up assets.

The Canucks on the other hand get one shot at this. A deal like this comes up very rarely where you have a chance to add a top pair D and unload a bad deal. I know this isn't going to be popular, but I'd give up Joulevi, Hoglander, 2021 2nd and LE for OEL. It would cost you at least 2 of those pieces to move LE's two years, and you would not be getting a legit D in return. This deal would give the Canucks a top 4 of Edler, OEL, Hughes and Myers, which is as solid as any top 4 in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad