Speculation: OEL trade speculation megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
So Arizona really wants to move him, OEL will only accept to go to either Vancouver or Boston, Vancouver doesn't have the cap space and/or realistic assets to get him and Boston's interest is lukewarm at best. Odd situation.

We have cap room, it just means we have to let go 2 of markstrom tanev and toffoli. Not sign stretcher and probably have to trade virtanen.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If the asking price is Podkolzin I would stay the hell away from OEL. Free agency is rolling around the corner here, I’d much rather acquire Cernak at a cheaper price than give up Pod.

With the leverage we have podkozin is absolutely out of the question in fact I believe we can pull this one off without even even giving up a 1st.

Mar 20, 2010
FWIW, the full context of the Dhaliwal quote was "you know the Coyotes are looking for futures; good picks, good prospects... you're starting to hear Podkolzin, Höglander now, Virtanen"

Also mentioned Green really wants OEL and basically everything else with the Canucks is on hold until things with OEL and Markstrom are settled.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
[/QUOTE]
Sure sounds like the B’s would rather keep Krug than trade for OEL. So that means it’s down to just the Canucks. I don’t think unfair deals are good, but this is looking like the new Coyote GM is being forced into accepting one. (Heard they are trying to trade Hall’s rights, and trading Kuemper too?)[/QUOTE]

You would be fun to play poker with. I mean, not fun for you.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

“Yes, Canucks are motivated because trading for OEL helps them with cap space so they can add Markstrom and Toffoli

PLUS they get a 20+ min first pair D.

Not a bad deal for Rathbone, Eriksson and a 3rd...[/QUOTE]”

How does it help them with cap space? Unless Arizona is taking on more cap than they’re trading.
And that won’t be the price they pay if they acquire OEL and dump Eriksson.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

sw0op1985

Sep 16, 2020
“Yes, Canucks are motivated because trading for OEL helps them with cap space so they can add Markstrom and Toffoli

Not a bad deal for Rathbone, Eriksson and a 3rd...

How does it help them with cap space? Unless Arizona is taking on more cap than they’re trading.
And that won’t be the price they pay if they acquire OEL and dump Eriksson.[/QUOTE]

presuming they send some of the anchor contracts it converts dead weight cap space in ot usable cap space along with filling in a hole (top 4 dman)

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Not a bad deal for Rathbone, Eriksson and a 3rd...

And that won’t be the price they pay if they acquire OEL and dump Eriksson.[/QUOTE]

adding a top pair d in exchange for dead weight gives us a bunch a flexibility to save elsewhere. It’s not this move that saves you money, it’s the subsequent ones.

NextGoalIsHuge

Nov 19, 2017
Whether OEL is traded to Van/Bos or not, this has been entertaining.

I'm on board with adding him to Van. After 30+ years of watching countless NHL "prospects" fall by the wayside, I'm not as certain as others that any prospect is a sure thing. Same goes for draft picks. No way to really know how kids will grow.

I for one, love the idea of locking down 45 mins a night with either Hughes or OEL on the ice. With our forwards, the puck possession numbers could be remarkable. Gotta fill the right side, of course.

If Van lands him, Arizona fans will be mad. I get that. Won't rub it in. But any team taking this contract on is taking a big risk.
However, I believe that the greatest rewards come from the greatest risks. /shrug.
It could blow up worse than anything we already have to deal with . heh.

sw0op1985

Sep 16, 2020
Whether OEL is traded to Van/Bos or not, this has been entertaining.

I'm on board with adding him to Van. After 30+ years of watching countless NHL "prospects" fall by the wayside, I'm not as certain as others that any prospect is a sure thing. Same goes for draft picks. No way to really know how kids will grow.

I for one, love the idea of locking down 45 mins a night with either Hughes or OEL on the ice. With our forwards, the puck possession numbers could be remarkable. Gotta fill the right side, of course.

If Van lands him, Arizona fans will be mad. I get that. Won't rub it in. But any team taking this contract on is taking a big risk.
However, I believe that the greatest rewards come from the greatest risks. /shrug.
It could blow up worse than anything we already have to deal with . heh.

i agree..i dont understand the hate...yes the contract is probably a couple years too long but if you were to bid for his services on UFA his contract would be around what it is now?
i'm not a fan of giving up podkol/hoglander but if we can jettison the other spare parts then go for it...he'd be arguably the best 2-way dman the franchise ever had during the same era where we have the best offensive dman in club history

Reactions: NextGoalIsHuge

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Can't afford to give up Podkolzin. If that's the price, better off walking away from OEL and pursuing D in the 4M-5M range.

We don’t have cap space to sign anyone new unless we don’t re-sign any of our current UFA’s Tanev,Toffoli,and Markstrom which seems very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad