Speculation: OEL trade speculation megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Friedman on 31 thoughts: 9. "Not sure it is even possible, but I think Arizona and Vancouver had an OEL convversation"

This seems highly unlikely.

Brock Boeser would certianly be the one going back to Arizona for salary purposes and I dont think Van pulls the trigger on that which is probably why its only been a discussion thus far.

What i suspect that is happening is 2 things.

1. Friedman and insiders are throwing anything out in terms of rumors to get more clickbait and attention with draft and free agency coming up. MOST of their rumors are centred around Canadian teams or big markets.

2. Arizona is trying to drive up the price on OEL and they are leaking BS information to drive up the market on OEL. It seems they are trying to drive his price up between Edmonton, Calgary , Vancouver

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If the Canucks trade Brock Boeser for anything short of a massive blockbuster return, they are insane. I wouldn't trade Boeser for OEL unless there was more coming back from the Coyotes.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Edmonton, Calgary, Boston, Vancouver, staying in Arizona...

These clubs should just sign an agreement together to time share the dude.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This might involved Erickson going back to cover the salary.

Phoenix would want younger players but I don’t think Vancouver has one of these impact young players other than podukin. They don’t have a 1st thus year.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Friedman on 31 thoughts: 9. "Not sure it is even possible, but I think Arizona and Vancouver had an OEL convversation"

This seems highly unlikely.

Brock Boeser would certianly be the one going back to Arizona for salary purposes and I dont think Van pulls the trigger on that which is probably why its only been a discussion thus far.

What i suspect that is happening is 2 things.

1. Friedman and insiders are throwing anything out in terms of rumors to get more clickbait and attention with draft and free agency coming up. MOST of their rumors are centred around Canadian teams or big markets.

2. Arizona is trying to drive up the price on OEL and they are leaking BS information to drive up the market on OEL. It seems they are trying to drive his price up between Edmonton, Calgary , Vancouver

I don't agree that Boeser would certainly be the one going back...

The whole point of trading for OEL is to increase your chances of winning the Cup, so it doesn't make sense to include Boeser...

OEL for Eriksson, Juolevi, 2021 1st, and a prospect seems about right

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I don't agree that Boeser would certainly be the one going back...

The whole point of trading for OEL is to increase your chances of winning the Cup, so it doesn't make sense to include Boeser...

OEL for Eriksson, Juolevi, 2021 1st, and a prospect seems about right

Dumping two years of Ericksson would probably cost you a 1st and a small add so this is suggesting OEL is worth less than juolevi straight up and that’s a bit absurd

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Dumping two years of Ericksson would probably cost you a 1st and a small add so this is suggesting OEL is worth less than juolevi straight up and that’s a bit absurd

OEL has seemingly been on the decline for the last few seasons...

Given his contract, I'm not sure how much positive value he has at this point

Reactions: EP to Kuzmenko

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

To be fair, it’s not as if OEL is on a great contract either. Arizona would effectively be swapping a $50M commitment for a $5M commitment. Obviously that doesn’t make them equal in value but taking back a minor cap commitment in such a trade is probably something Arizona would prefer to a potential alternative. They’re going to have to take some cap back in any OEL trade whether it adds to the trade valuewise or simply brings the cap exchange closer would determine the amount of futures going back.

That said, I can’t see anyway Vancouver could realistically fit that OEL contract in going forward.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
when this is the best friedman can offer, you know the media are operating on fumes

i'd assume most gm's in the league have talked to az to at least figure out what the ask is on oel.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Eriksson says Hi. Would be the perfect dump for arz.
Obviously Canucks would have to include rfa picks and prospects

If Boeser isnt part of the deal and Eriksson is then Caucks better kiss goodbye to a future 1st round pick and Podkolzin

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Honestly, this is a player we should definitely not go after. We will have to dump LE in order to make Cap work, and that will drive the price up. This only works if OEL's term is seen as something that lowers value, and if the nearly 10m real money savings(while keeping a 6m cap hit) for Arizona is seen as added value.
Capwise for the Canucks, it would realistically only be an extra 2.25m in cap space for a top 4 dman, and we would need to spend more than that to replace Tanev anyways on the back end. Hughes is also comfortable playing the right side, so a top pairing or OEL and Hughes could work.
All you need to think about is whether or not the declining numbers are because Arizona is a bad team, and if so, how long until his real decline starts?

Reactions: Cogburn

horner

May 22, 2007
I fought the owner wants alot of money coming back from what I have heard.
Picks and prosects

Vancouver would be dumb to do this .

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
The only way from Van's side that makes sense to me would be something along the lines of:

LE, JV, OJ(or Rathbone) for OEL(preferably 1m retained, but I heard AZ will not retain at all)

Personally I think OEL has 4-5 more years of being an elite defender if he is on a better team, but this is the most Vancouver should be willing to do. Since it will likely cost more, we should walk away.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Why would Boeser have to go for salary purposes? If there was a trade that otherwise made sense between Vancouver and Arizona with Arizona mainly receiving prospects and/or picks, the Canucks could make the salary work by including Eriksson.

It's not like Arizona hasn't taken on $6M in dead cap space in a trade before. Unless Arizona plans to compete for playoffs this season or next season after trading OEL, Eriksson doesn't hurt them.

Eriksson makes OEL to Vancouver an interesting and feasible option.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Watch him come to Van and end up being ultimately another Edler. Rewind the clock on Eagle and get another 5 years of that.

That would be almost okay if it weren't for the outrageous contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad