NFL: Odell Beckham Jr. suspended for 1 game

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Thank god. In 25 years watching sports I don't think I've recalled such a selfish game from any player in any sport. He spent the whole game not giving a damn in what position he was putting the Giants in. Should of been 2 games imo.

I agree with this, he should get 2 games but Goodell is never going to come down on his buddy Mara.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Clearly the baseball bat is just a motivational tool. Teams motivate themselves all the time by going into a team's stretching area with a bat and confronting other players before the game.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Giants Daily @NYGDaily

Deion Sanders told @RichEisenShow that Josh Norman had a baseball bat on the field before the game, told OBJ "he's going to end his career."
1:39 PM - 21 Dec 2015

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Seriously, if that really was said, it goes far beyond anything that was done in the whole Bountygate deal. And sending a practice squad guy out to do it is even worse. I don't know that what Deion says is 100% truth because it is a matter of he said-she said. But it's enough to get the NFL involved and snooping around. We may have another -Gate on our hands, which I'm all for as long as it makes as many people as possible look as stupid as possible.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Seriously, if that really was said, it goes far beyond anything that was done in the whole Bountygate deal. And sending a practice squad guy out to do it is even worse. I don't know that what Deion says is 100% truth because it is a matter of he said-she said. But it's enough to get the NFL involved and snooping around. We may have another -Gate on our hands, which I'm all for as long as it makes as many people as possible look as stupid as possible.

What should happen is a massive fine for Norman and the practice squad player along with the NFL being smart and banning weapons / bats from the field. If there is audio of Norman talking about what Sanders said he did, then he needs to be suspended for a game as well. It's pretty clear that this was all instigated from the Panthers side. There's really no defending what that practice squad thug did. It was thuggish behavior to try and intimidate OBJ and the Giants.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The Panthers also allegedly questioned obj's "manhood", per ray Lewis.

Of course, Lewis also said that he told obj that he went too far...

Last edited:

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
The bringing a bat onto the field should not be allowed. However, using that as an excuse for his behavior is unacceptable.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Okay, practice squad guy did something stupid and approached OBJ with a bat. That's about all that's been proven. Everything else is still hearsay. Fine/suspend/cut him, ban bats, and let's move on.

But hey, believe what you want to believe. Josh Norman talks at length about how great of a guy OBJ is on Wednesday, then, unprovoked, starts threatening him with a bat? Yeah, that sounds completely logical.

Man, I would hate to live in NY/NJ where this **** happens regularly when my team is losing.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

On a team with Roman Harper, Charles Tillman, Thomas Davis, and Luke Kuechly, do you really think that this was a systemic issue, or maybe just some overzealous practice squadder saying something stupid?

It's amazing how well this deflection has worked. It broke, what, an hour after the suspension was announced? Is anyone still talking about the hit itself? You've even got Giants fans justifying it now. I've seen more spin out of political camps than this.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Norman didn't do anything to get suspended. Being an assclown isn't suspend-able.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Okay, practice squad guy did something stupid and approached OBJ with a bat. That's about all that's been proven. Everything else is still hearsay. Fine/suspend/cut him, ban bats, and let's move on.

But hey, believe what you want to believe. Josh Norman talks at length about how great of a guy OBJ is on Wednesday, then, unprovoked, starts threatening him with a bat? Yeah, that sounds completely logical.

Man, I would hate to live in NY/NJ where this **** happens regularly when my team is losing.

Why do you feel the need to either make things personal or insult the cities/states of people? I'd much rather live in this area than NC, yet you don't see me bashing your state. Heck, I'd also rather root for the team that has won four Super Bowls in my lifetime than your team which has largely been a basement dweller. But that's meaningless as well.

You've been saying that your squad did nothing wrong his entire time, which is laughable. The entire argument from Giants fans has been that 1) The Panthers are just as much to blame for instigating everything; 2) The Panthers, Norman, and the Practice Squad guy all need some form of punishment; and 3) OBJ took it further than them and finished it.

Giants fans have been split on this. I'd say 50/50, even. Half believe that the OBJ hit was extreme, dirty, and uncalled for. Half believe it was extreme, dirty, and appropriate. Both are OK with the suspension as long as the Panthers organization and/or players receive some punishment as well.

But the way you've defended this thug with a bat and Norman throughout this has been the definition of homerism. Add in all of the insults thrown? Yeesh.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Why do you feel the need to either make things personal or insult the cities/states of people? I'd much rather live in this area than NC, yet you don't see me bashing your state. Heck, I'd also rather root for the team that has won four Super Bowls in my lifetime than your team which has largely been a basement dweller. But that's meaningless as well.

That was entirely about the media blowing up (if not outright fabricating) something that isn't there. I felt like that was pretty obvious. It's not my fault if you choose to take that differently.

You've been saying that your squad did nothing wrong his entire time, which is laughable. The entire argument from Giants fans has been that 1) The Panthers are just as much to blame for instigating everything; 2) The Panthers, Norman, and the Practice Squad guy all need some form of punishment; and 3) OBJ took it further than them and finished it.

You want to talk about putting words in people's mouths and get so offended by it, quote me when I said they did nothing wrong. I've asked you (anyone) time and time again to provide something suspendable/egregious/dirty that Norman did and you've ignored it. He was chippy, but in no way did he do anything remotely close to what Beckham did.

I count two instigations here, and nothing but allegations and hearsay of the other stuff. Meanwhile, Beckham lost his mind every play. On what planet is any of what Norman did even close to worth bringing up compared to OBJ's actions? Again, it's nothing more than flaggable chippyness at worst. OBJ went out with an intent to injure and fight. That's so far past the line, he can't even see the ****ing line. The line is a dot to him.

Giants fans have been split on this. I'd say 50/50, even. Half believe that the OBJ hit was extreme, dirty, and uncalled for. Half believe it was extreme, dirty, and appropriate. Both are OK with the suspension as long as the Panthers organization and/or players receive some punishment as well.

Find me something, anything, worth punishing for the Panthers. You haven't, but you keep saying that's what they deserve. This doesn't seem to be based on anything.

But the way you've defended this thug with a bat and Norman throughout this has been the definition of homerism. Add in all of the insults thrown? Yeesh.

I have never defended the guy with the bat. I simply said there's absolutely no proof he did anything that has been said. You seem to be okay with taking hearsay and circumstantial video where nothing happens as proof to launch some baseless conspiracy theories. He got into an argument, clearly, with OBJ. That in no way means there was a threat of violence or things of that nature. If he did, he should be removed from the team. Simple as that. Until that proof shows, then there's nothing to see here but a diversion.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That was entirely about the media blowing up (if not outright fabricating) something that isn't there. I felt like that was pretty obvious. It's not my fault if you choose to take that differently.

Right. That's why you were hurling personal shots at me in the NFL thread, bashing NY, etc. Right. Just a misinterpretation. Just like your thug player bringing a bat into the Giants' stretching area. Just a misinterpretation. :rolleyes:

You want to talk about putting words in people's mouths and get so offended by it, quote me when I said they did nothing wrong. I've asked you (anyone) time and time again to provide something suspendable/egregious/dirty that Norman did and you've ignored it. He was chippy, but in no way did he do anything remotely close to what Beckham did.

You haven't literally said it, but you've been defending their actions as "motivational tools" this entire time. Not sure what your complaint is here. You've been defending everything the Panthers did and refusing to admit any wrongdoing from your squad.

I never said that Norman's actions with Beckham were suspendible. Dirty? Absolutely. They were both playing dirty with each other. Punching, slamming, etc. All dirty. Not generally suspendible. My point has always been that Norman brought this upon himself. Not that what he did was as bad as what Beckham did. You've continually missed this point.

I count two instigations here, and nothing but allegations and hearsay of the other stuff. Meanwhile, Beckham lost his mind every play. On what planet is any of what Norman did even close to worth bringing up compared to OBJ's actions? Again, it's nothing more than flaggable chippyness at worst. OBJ went out with an intent to injure and fight. That's so far past the line, he can't even see the ****ing line. The line is a dot to him.

Beckham "lost his mind" as much as Norman did. They both went at each other every play. Norman finally calmed down after Beckham nearly took his head off.

Find me something, anything, worth punishing for the Panthers. You haven't, but you keep saying that's what they deserve. This doesn't seem to be based on anything.

Uh. Allowing the practice squad player to bring a ****ing baseball bat onto the Giants' stretching area? That's pretty much indefensible by the Panthers. Control your scrubs and thugs and keep the bats in the locker room.

I have never defended the guy with the bat. I simply said there's absolutely no proof he did anything that has been said. You seem to be okay with taking hearsay and circumstantial video where nothing happens as proof to launch some baseless conspiracy theories. He got into an argument, clearly, with OBJ. That in no way means there was a threat of violence or things of that nature. If he did, he should be removed from the team. Simple as that. Until that proof shows, then there's nothing to see here but a diversion.

You've repeatedly offered random explanations for what he was doing and minimizing the thuggish threats. :laugh:

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
The bringing a bat onto the field should not be allowed. However, using that as an excuse for his behavior is unacceptable.

This. Marcus Ball had absolutely no business even approaching Beckham and talking to him, let alone with a bat in his hands (which is a pre-game ritual, but clearly it can be interpreted as intimidating).

Norman didn't do anything to get suspended. Being an assclown isn't suspend-able.

And this.

Can we move on from this foolishness? Probably not.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I am enjoying the mental gymnastics you have to do to believe the things you do. You're not even interested in fairly conversing here.

That's literally the opposite of the truth. I'm the guy willing to admit that my player played dirty (even if I approve of it). It's taken you until late last night to even admit that your team did anything wrong. But keep up that narrative. If you believe it long enough, it may come true.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
are we really going to use what was said during a pregame warm up of a NFL game as evidence that OBJ shouldnt be suspended? lol.
just like in hockey stuff gets said before and during a game that is NC17. cussing, calling guys out. guys will say anything to gain an advantage.
I have no dog in this fight, but if the Giants are really claiming that members of the Panthers used a homophobic slur during pregame and using that as some sort of justification for what OBJ did than that is a very weak counter argument.
as far as the bat goes the Panthers have used it before and other teams use props as well.
The officiating for that game should be dealt with as well. they let the game get out of hand. Coughlin should of sat OBJ down for a while to calm him down because he was out of control.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
are we really going to use what was said during a pregame warm up of a NFL game as evidence that OBJ shouldnt be suspended? lol.
just like in hockey stuff gets said before and during a game that is NC17. cussing, calling guys out. guys will say anything to gain an advantage.
I have no dog in this fight, but if the Giants are really claiming that members of the Panthers used a homophobic slur during pregame and using that as some sort of justification for what OBJ did than that is a very weak counter argument.
as far as the bat goes the Panthers have used it before and other teams use props as well.
The officiating for that game should be dealt with as well. they let the game get out of hand. Coughlin should of sat OBJ down for a while to calm him down because he was out of control.

I'm sure as hell not. Has anyone here said that?

And the bat comment by you is utter nonsense. How often are the Panthers going over, bat in hand, to start threatening another team and getting into fights with them pre-game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad