NFL: Odell Beckham Jr. suspended for 1 game

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
lol the media was all talking about how it was gonna get overturned and then denied

To be fair, I didn't see a single reliable media person report it was going to be overturned. Jaws should stick to doing bad QB rankings.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Really surprised to be honest. Having the unfortunate pleasure of watching that game they were both going at it pretty hard from the first play. You have to blame the refs. Yeah they threw their flags but they never had control. He may have been provoked. That doesn't excuse the spear but this was hardly a one sided affair. Fining both or suspending both would have been the right call. Really both guys should have eventually been ejected from the game.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Really surprised to be honest. Having the unfortunate pleasure of watching that game they were both going at it pretty hard from the first play. You have to blame the refs. Yeah they threw their flags but they never had control. He may have been provoked. That doesn't excuse the spear but this was hardly a one sided affair. Fining both or suspending both would have been the right call. Really both guys should have eventually been ejected from the game.

I mean, the refs completely dropped the ball. I don't have a problem with Norman not being suspended. I do have a problem with his fine being only 26K, though. It should've been 52K.

And Marcus Ball needs some serious, serious punishment with the allegations coming his way, now. The Ball quote from Brad Wing is pretty brutal. Ball pulling the whole "I don't even remember last Sunday" while speaking basically broken English was pretty funny to watch. Could hardly understand the moron.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Famed competitive eater and noted Giants fan George R.R. Martin had this to say about the Odell/Norman debacle:

So I am not defending Odell Beckham Junior. Can't. Won't. The helmet-to-helmet hit, in particular, was indefensible. Much as I hate to say it, he should have been expelled yesterday, and the one-game suspension is justified.

BUT...

Something else needs to be said as well.

JOSH NORMAN STARTED IT.

ODB let himself be provoked, and that's bad. But it was Norman who initiated the ugliness, and we should not lose sight of that. He is not the innocent victim here, and his postgame comments reek of hypocrisy. ODB went way too far, agreed, but the dirty stuff began with Norman.

On the fourth play of the game, Beckham blew past Norman downfield, and Eli Manning hit him in stride for what would have been a 52-yard TD... if the ball had not bounced off Odell's hands. 'My bad,' ODB gestured after the play, taking responsibilty [sic] for the error. Some talking heads said afterwards that it was that drop that made Beckham so angry and led to what followed.

But that's wrong. It was Norman who most impacted by that pass, not Beckham. After a week of hype about this great match-up, he had allowed ODB to burn him on the first series for what would have been a humiliating touchdown. Plainly, that near miss pissed him off... because ON THE VERY NEXT PLAY, he grabbed ODB and bodyslammed him to the ground. There was no flag, even though a ref was right on top of them. (Picking up a player and slamming him to the ground is also against NFL rules). A couple plays later, Norman fouled ODB again, running into his back and knocking him down. That time ODB struck back and blows were exchanged. But Norman's came first.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/460398.html

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
JOSH NORMAN STARTED IT.

ODB let himself be provoked, and that's bad. But it was Norman who initiated the ugliness, and we should not lose sight of that. He is not the innocent victim here, and his postgame comments reek of hypocrisy. ODB went way too far, agreed, but the dirty stuff began with Norman.

Does this guy have any clue how much **** is talked on every play of an NFL game? Ohhhh no! He hurt OBJ's feelings .... it isn't like this is the first time that he has started swinging at opponents. I'm not saying Norman is an angel, far from it, but he did nothing on Sunday to warrant OBJ possibly giving him a spear like that.

Sep 19, 2008
Later on in the podcast Francesa went on a hilarious rant about how soft Beckham was for taking offense at the Panthers swinging bats. Francesa is completely right. Beckham shouldn't be crying because the Panthers allegedly trash talked him :laugh:

He is mentally fragile if that's the case

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Uh. So was Wallace's. And Wallace is a gigantic offensive lineman. Not sure how Wallace's wouldn't be worse. Wallace's also lead to injury.

Wallace didn't target the head; he just bulled into the opposing player late. It was cheap, but not as bad as Odell who clearly targets Norman's head with his helmet, and lands a direct blow.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yeah, we'd be having a much different conversation if Norman got ko'd...

I'm so tired of hearing about the baseball bat thing. Like the guy is going to club Beckham in pre-game warmups. :rolleyes:

Also, is there a more irritating talking head in football than Michael Irvin? Shut up already. Pretty much just a Beckham mouthpiece. Oh poor Odell, he's targeted for trash talk by every opposing team (not referencing the homophic slurs, that's ridiculous and out of bounds if confirmed). I'm sure it has nothing to do with him being a) a great player, and b) a total punk that yaps just as much, if not more. He clearly wants attention. Well, you got it big guy. Now he's whining and letting practice squad guys get in his head? Please.

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
The officiating crew needs to share a big part of the blame in this whole mess. If they would have done their jobs early in the game, it wouldn't have escalated any farther. I can understand them missing or letting slide the first altercation, but not the next several.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Famed competitive eater and noted Giants fan George R.R. Martin had this to say about the Odell/Norman debacle:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/460398.html

my favorite part of it was this little gem

A couple plays later, Norman fouled ODB again, running into his back and knocking him down.

lol OBJ retaliated to the "bodyslam" by reverse body checking Norman. That wasn't Norman running into OBJ, that was OBJ quickly stopping, and going backwards violently into Norman knowing he would hit him.

also who gives a **** who started it, the ref didn't flag Norman a couple times when he should have. Cool, too bad, nothing Norman did was suspendable while something OBJ did was. and that's pretty much the end of that story.

Never heard of that guy but if he's a better competitive eater than he is a whiner he's probably the world champion

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Later on in the podcast Francesa went on a hilarious rant about how soft Beckham was for taking offense at the Panthers swinging bats. Francesa is completely right. Beckham shouldn't be crying because the Panthers allegedly trash talked him :laugh:

He is mentally fragile if that's the case

"I don't care if ya bring tank on the field!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad