Injury Report: Oct. 23: JVR close to skating (out 5-to-6 weeks, Oct. 8); Neuvirth could rejoin Flyers Oct. 25

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yikes! Didn't realize it was that bad.

I was REALLY rooting for JVR, really liked him in Toronto (minus the mouth guard), and really wanted to see if he was coming into his own as the new Dave Andreychuk, or if he was playing for a contract like I feel too many players do these days.

It amazing that the Flyers always seem to be hurt, a lot, I know it's been years, but my mind always goes back to Carl Lindros ripping the staff for missing something with Big E.

Looking forward to seeing a healthy lineup

They have actually had great luck with injuries the past 2 seasons. Also nice that Giroux has only missed 9 or 10 games in the last 9 years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have to imagine they're going to do whatever it takes to sign him. Back to back 60+ point seasons and he's only 22. Kadri seems like a more likely candidate to be dealt (and I'd be interested in him too).

Why would you be interested in Kadri? We are in good shape down the middle and will continue to improve there. Also, hes a douchebag.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
The only good news here is that by the time JVR is back, the team should be in the swing of things without the early rust that tends to happen. Should be easier for him to integrate into the lineup and develop chemistry when the rest of the team is grooving. Sucks he can’t do it for this first month tho.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The only good news here is that by the time JVR is back, the team should be in the swing of things without the early rust that tends to happen. Should be easier for him to integrate into the lineup and develop chemistry when the rest of the team is grooving. Sucks he can’t do it for this first month tho.

We may even be finished with the 10-game losing streak by the time he gets back.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why would you be interested in Kadri? We are in good shape down the middle and will continue to improve there. Also, hes a *****ebag.
He's a douchebag now but that's because he's not on our team. Marchand is too but I'd love him here. I'm sure I could go on and on with guys like that. But he's a 30+ goal scorer under thirty on a reasonable contract. I'd love to have him and we can shuffle him or the lines around to make room. Put him at 3C with Simmer and JvR (when he's back) and find a spot for Vorobyev on the 4th line...cough...Lehtera...cough.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
My point is there are plenty of “non-gritty” players in the Flyers division that are successful.
I am sure they know what they are getting when they signed JVr. A skilled player that can score 5v5. They can sprinkle “grit” in with other players. Let’s get quality players in place before worrying about grit.

No one is debating there are some non gritty players that are successful - my point is more so that some players work better in some divisions and their skill and production doesn't translate over to other divisions. I am of the belief that JVR's skill and production would be at their highest in the division he was just in. This is again, my opinion of him and not really being sold on him from when we drafted him. If he proves me wrong it is a wonderful thing bc it means we will have more scoring on this team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pretty incredible that an organization can have 7 injuries after training camp/preseason and 2 regular season games.

Neuvirth
Lyon
Sanheim
Couturier
Laberge
MacDonald
JVR

This is gonna be one of those seasons.

This is the first injury that's actually going to stop a good player from playing in a regular season game, though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is the first injury that's actually going to stop a good player from playing in a regular season game, though.

Yeah true, but its still crazy how frequently players are dropping in the early going.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They were one of the most fortunate teams last year, skater wise at least.

G, Coots, Voracek, and Provorov played all 82. Ghost only missed 4. Konecny played 81. Laughton, Lindblom, and Sanheim were available for all 82. Simmonds still managed to get 75 in. That's about as good as you can hope for.

On the flip side, Filppula played 81 games.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
They were one of the most fortunate teams last year, skater wise at least.

G, Coots, Voracek, and Provorov played all 82. Ghost only missed 4. Konecny played 81. Laughton, Lindblom, and Sanheim were available for all 82. Simmonds still managed to get 75 in. That's about as good as you can hope for.

On the flip side, Filppula played 81 games.

I was especially pleased that Couturier was healthy all (regular) season. The real sufferers, however, were the prospects, led by Morin (only 17 games played), Stolarz (4 games played), and to a lesser extent, Myers (50 games played).

Reactions: FLYguy3911

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The real sufferers, however, were the prospects, led by Morin (only 17 games played), Stolarz (4 games played), and to a lesser extent, Myers (50 games played).
They were but only Morin had a chance to make an impact at the NHL level and they thought he was the 8th best defenseman, at best. :dunno:

The only point I was trying to make was that the team was pretty lucky last year and I'm not so sure you can expect your ~5 best players to be healthy for an entire season again. I do think the Flyers have pretty good depth up front though. Now whether they decide to maximize it or not remains to be seen.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Our big issue is that they think AMac is good. Our good young D have had to learn from subpar Dmen as opposed to being able to lean on a good D partner for help.
Aside from him sucking arse that is my biggest complaint. That Guys like provy, sanheim, etc don’t have a solid veteran d partner to learn from while developing. And I still don’t think Murphy does a good job. I would kill to have a Jacques Lemaire or terry murray running the d.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They are banking on self development.

Keep the same players and one year later everyone younger than 25 is supposed to have matured as a person and automatically stepped up his game a notch.
That is (was) Hextall's only recipe to fix the defense.
So who is significantly better this season:
Ghost? Provorov?...nah, more or less the same or a little worse
Hägg... marginally better
Sanhein... I don't see it yet and he is still not getting the TOI
Everyone else is still in the minors.

For any major improvement it would be necessary to upgrade on the two Vets Mac Donald and Gudas asap.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
In order to maximize the injury report, it has been added to this thread even though the news was released earlier today,

Nolan Patrick injury update: Flyers' 2C out 7-10 days with upper-body injury

Nolan Patrick will miss approximately seven to 10 days with an upper-body injury, Flyers general manager Ron Hextall said Thursday afternoon.
Patrick left the Flyers' 7-4 win over the Senators on Wednesday night in the first period after a routine, legal check by Ottawa's Mark Stone. Patrick went shoulder-first into the boards but his head appeared to whip back.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...d-line-center-out-7-10-days-upper-body-injury

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1