Observations XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Eh I'm gonna cut Turris a bit of slack right now. He was out due to injury, and frankly if it was a rib that's probably something that's not really going to allow you to do much when you are down. That injury hurts just sitting around trying to breath.

Where have you seen that it was a rib?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
On the coaching front I gotta really wonder if it would even really be a problem with Lavi, and more to do with McCarthy and Muse. The guys seem to respect Lavi, but we also know he isn't really an X's and O's kind of guy. Really would make me wonder if there is an issue if it isn't more to do with the assistants.

McCarthy seems like a guy that would get on your last nerve after a while, and frankly Muse seems like he's just kind of there. Granted I'm just a fan, but Muse seems like the guy from Office Space who got fired and is still coming to work and wondering who stole his stapler.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd rather he just sit out if it's something he is going to struggle to play with.
Well that's the thing, to this day I'm not sure we ever figured out just what he was out for. Generally speaking I wouldn't go with another teams broadcast crew, but a rib injury seems awful specific just to randomly make up.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Well that's the thing, to this day I'm not sure we ever figured out just what he was out for. Generally speaking I wouldn't go with another teams broadcast crew, but a rib injury seems awful specific just to randomly make up.
i seen it when it happened against STL. a rib would fit what i saw to a T

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Granted I'm just a fan, but Muse seems like the guy from Office Space who got fired and is still coming to work and wondering who stole his stapler.

It's funny you say that because I always equated Lane Lambert with Toby from The Office. Something to do with the way he gave interviews.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Yeah, that was me that posted that. I've been listening to the opponents feeds most of the year on my NHL App stream

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Obviously, this team has a lot more to give. The top-4 and the 2nd line especially can really step up to the plate.

But ultimately, I think once you get into the playoffs anything can happen. We can very well beat anybody with or without Duchene/Stone. I care a lot more how this team looks 8 weeks from now, than it does now. Struggles are a part of every team's season, except for Tampa's maybe.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Obviously, this team has a lot more to give. The top-4 and the 2nd line especially can really step up to the plate.

But ultimately, I think once you get into the playoffs anything can happen. We can very well beat anybody with or without Duchene/Stone. I care a lot more how this team looks 8 weeks from now, than it does now. Struggles are a part of every team's season, except for Tampa's maybe.
Agreed, but... I also get a sense that the current "struggles" might have been going on long enough that they aren't really just part of the ups and downs of a single season. Because even going back to last year it felt like sometimes the team was lucking out with some of their comebacks, and then the playoff let-down, and then this year the "struggles" could be at least partially construed as just a continuation of what we've been seeing for quite a while - just with less luck and some earlier injury problems heaped on top of it.

I don't know, I still generally like to think the team can turn things around and get into a groove and beat anybody when the time comes. But... I wonder if the players aren't maybe getting a little complacent thinking the same thing? :dunno: Not consciously or anything, but somewhere in the back of their minds...

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
That 20-18-5 record does not overly bother me because a large chunk of that came during the time we were absolutely decimated by injuries.

The thing that DOES concern me- maybe more than anything else right now- is our play at home. We have absolutely no home ice advantage anymore.

We are 4-7 in our last 11 home games. That is completely inexplicable. And that includes losses against bottom feeder teams like Rangers, Panthers and Wings. In fact, only ONE of those 7 losses came against an elite team- (Winnipeg). With the schedule we faced, we should have at minimum went 7-4.

We also just went through a stretch where we played the other 3 top teams in the Central Division- since December 27, we played those 3 teams (WPG, DAL, STL) 5 times, and 4 of the 5 were at home. We went 1-4 in those 5 games. Just unacceptable.

What makes it so maddening is that we are a completely different team on the road- we are 7-2-2 in last 11 road games

With all of the issues we have had this year- injuries, power play, depth scoring, etc, etc- even with all of that, you can almost boil everything about this season’s disappointment to one thing- our play at home. Had we just played reasonably well at home, especially the past 2 months or so, we would be sitting here exactly where we thought we would.

Put another way- had we just won those 3 games mentioned above that we lost in the past month- NYR/FLORIDA/DETROIT- had we simply won those 3 home games we would be sitting here 36-18-5 and would have the 2nd best record in the entire league. Crazy.

Reactions: predhead1

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
20-18-5 in our last 43 games. just saying.
How much of that time were both forsberg and arvidson out? Not to mention Subban or Turris.

What is bothersome is we seem to be playing no better now that they are all healthy than we did when they were out.

5-4-1 the last 10 bothers me a lot more than 20-18-5

Reactions: Tex76

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
How much of that time were both forsberg and arvidson out? Not to mention Subban or Turris.

What is bothersome is we seem to be playing no better now that they are all healthy than we did when they were out.

we are lucky the schedule was easy as it was while they were out or it could have been even worse.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Yes, agree completely- which was my whole point in my previous post.....

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Can't ask for a better night than a W and a Jets L.

I don't even think it was a very good game from the Preds but at this point I will gladly take any kind of win.

It is absolutely mind blowing to me that we now sit here just 2 points out of first place. I know the Jets have 2 games in hand, but still. With all the issues we have had it feels like we should be completely out of the division race. And yet we aren't.

And again the question for me is- what does it say about the Jets that they have basically had the same season we have had?

And they have had one of the top power plays in the league and have not had near the injury adversity we have had. At least there are some valid reasons for some of our struggles. If we had had an awesome PP all year and not many injuries I would be feeling a whole heck of a lot worse about our season than I do right now

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Lavy in the pre- game radio interview made a comment about PK as part of a different point about our power play ... roughly like “with PK rounding back into form”. Gave me some hope that he is playing through something and improving.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah Willie mentioned during the game that Subban said that he was glad to be able to get back to his conditioning and was playing better so I have a feeling something was going on.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Something happened to me at the game tonight that has never happened before. I got yelled at by an usher for waiting for a whistle to go to my seat.

I came into the bowl and since the period had already started, I stopped at a place you can stand and watch to wait for a whistle. An usher asked if I had tickets for that section and I said yes, I'm just waiting for a whistle and she started yelling at me and 3 other people that we couldn't stand there. I said I can't go to my seat because the puck is in play, but she kept insisting that we all needed to leave that area. I said ma'am, we can't go down because the puck is in play, we are just waiting for a whistle. I really think she was ready to call security if a whistle had not been blown, lol!

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Good win from the guys, the first 10 minutes of the 2nd I thought we weren't that good but other than that pretty solid game.

I think the biggest problem by far this year has been the powerplay. We're 2nd in the Central, 4th in the West but dead last on the PP. So we've been really good 5-on-5.

Just counted that if we had an average powerplay, 15th in the league @ 20,92 % where Ottawa sits right now we would have 42 powerplay goals instead of our 26. So 16 more goals. I think that wins us a bunch of hockey games.

With a decent PP, we're battling for the WC title again and probably just behind Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad