Observations XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Like I said, one goal off of the expected pace there, 4/20 is 20%. Nothing special but moving in the right direction.

It was also only one goal above just 10% conversion. After going 0-3 at Vegas, it's now 3 for 23 over the past seven games ... 13.04% which is barely above the team's average to date and as statistically close as it can get on 23 attempts. For the calendar year to date, the PP conversion is down to 5 for 62 which comes out to a whopping 8.06%.

Joey, Arvy, PK and Josi have a combined four PPG this season. The team is 1 for 11 on 5on3 PP advantages while averaging over a minute per 5on3 chance.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Joey has to start shooting on the PP. Teams don't really worry about him other than to block passing lanes which makes it easier to defend.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
well, that was painful;

..we were really, really bad.
..we aren't a speed team, we aren't a physical team. I'm actually not sure what we are.
..I want to strangle willy and mase when we are playing poorly and they are all "they're just not getting the bounces".
..we really miss Watson.
..hamhuis's worst game, by far. not that any defenseman played worth a crap.
..boyle is so slow.
..turris has been beyond terrible.
..we have so many 'complimentary' mediocre players.
..I will be shocked if STL doesn't catch us before season end
..I can honestly say I dislike this team right now. I dislike their execution. I dislike their effort. I dislike several players.

Reactions: JR303

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Really bad timing to start repeatedly hitting me up for season ticket renewals. “Wait ‘til next year when we are even slower, fatter, and happier! SMASHVILLE!!!”

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Honestly, I think 303 hit it on the head. The team has no identity. And what's more, we have too many complimentary pieces and not enough guys who can be in the driver seat.

As for the power play, how someone hasn't been forced out for its complete failure by now is unacceptable to me. The fans deserve better. It sucks. It has sucked all season and someone has to be held accountable for it.

I'm up for trading anyone not named Johansen, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Josi, Ekholm, Rinne or Saros.

Literally, would trade everyone else at this point.

Now I'm just hoping Poile doesn't trade assets because it's not going to matter at this point. There's too much rotten that one piece isn't going to fix it

Reactions: triggrman

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I really wish I knew what Poile was thinking right now.

This same team started the season 13-3. We didnt have Watson then and we dont have him now. A few minor pieces have been swapped but otherwise it's the same team.

Are players playing through nagging injuries?

Has Lavy "lost the room"?

Have other teams "figured us out" and the coaches have failed to adapt/adjust?

What Poile does at the deadline will tell us a lot

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I've referred to the product the Preds are putting on the ice now as a 3 ring circus with just a one trick pony (JOFA). Now the most compelling part of this circus is the concession stand.

Just finished watching the game this morning, what a crappy way to start a rainy day.

Reactions: Montross

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Team has a coaching and/or leadership problem. A big trade may wake everyone up for a bit, but long term there is something missing from this group...

Teams have figured out Lavi's 'system' or lack there of. If things do go our way in a game, we come out and let teams tie it up quickly or take the lead right after we score..

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Wehave forgotten to play defense and keep trying to score our way out of trouble. We don't have the talent to do that. Start fining Joey every time he passes up an open look.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
well, that was painful;

..we were really, really bad.
..we aren't a speed team, we aren't a physical team. I'm actually not sure what we are.
..I want to strangle willy and mase when we are playing poorly and they are all "they're just not getting the bounces".
..we really miss Watson.
..hamhuis's worst game, by far. not that any defenseman played worth a crap.
..boyle is so slow.
..turris has been beyond terrible.
..we have so many 'complimentary' mediocre players.
..I will be shocked if STL doesn't catch us before season end
..I can honestly say I dislike this team right now. I dislike their execution. I dislike their effort. I dislike several players.

Boyle is not as slow as you think. He's a lot faster than I thought he'd be honestly.

Too many of the same type of player but people are caught up in what we're paying some of them. Jarnkrok being the prime example. IMO Hartman and Jarnkrok are the same player with Hartman having more of a physical presence and more offensive upside. No need for both on the roster.

Effort? What effort? It's sporadic at best these days. 20 out of 60 minutes does this team play hard.

Trig's list is pretty much mine as well. I would shorten it to JOFA, Sissons, Josi and Ekholm. Everyone else is available in my mind. I also understand the merit of Fiala, Smith and Bones.

I would move Turris for Duchene if the opportunity presented itself. If you could get Ottawa to bite I'd throw in a 1st, Tolvanen and Jarnkrok for Stone. Maybe throw in another piece to finish out the Duchene piece.

Reactions: PJ817

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I'm honestly starting to wonder if we've lost too much character from the locker room over the past few years. Fisher retired. Weber was traded. Who's holding guys accountable now? This doesn't really feel like a team of guys that are playing hard for each other. Hopefully that's just me projecting out of disappointment for how they're playing.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
turris, subban, and ellis being dealt at any point would be great. i could care less about selling low.

echoing the guys above me, but this team has no identity. they don't even have a "soul" in the sense. it's disgusting to watch at times.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm honestly starting to wonder if we've lost too much character from the locker room over the past few years. Fisher retired. Weber was traded. Who's holding guys accountable now? This doesn't really feel like a team of guys that are playing hard for each other. Hopefully that's just me projecting out of disappointment for how they're playing.
Fisher definitely. Weber...eh...I can remember a lot of frustration with him only seeming to give a shit once every 15-20 games ("Angry Shea"). I think your point is valid overall though. I also think Barry just had a bigger emphasis on structure and accountability while he was here, which has been exposed after Fisher retired.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Has Lavy "lost the room"?

Hasn't that been the book on Lavi his entire coaching career? Capable of elevating a team to great success in the short term, but over the long term the team regresses and the party line is that it's because LavI "lost the room"? Not saying it's definitely the case here, but I think even the casual observer would see that we have a lot of guys just going through the motions out there . .

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Hasn't that been the book on Lavi his entire coaching career? Capable of elevating a team to great success in the short term, but over the long term the team regresses and the party line is that it's because LavI "lost the room"? Not saying it's definitely the case here, but I think even the casual observer would see that we have a lot of guys just going through the motions out there . .

See I asked the question because I dont know the answer. We are all frustrated but a good rider knows when to apply the whip and when to save it for a time when it would be more useful.

I'd like to believe that Lavy noticed that us crushing everyone last January and February didnt mean squat in May, and so this year instead of insisting on max adrenaline every game, hes working on things in practice and making tweaks but saving the big push for late March heading into April.

I'm sure that's probably just wishful thinking, but I'd really like to be right.

I also still think the multiple injuries that have happened this year may have guys thinking, at least subconsciously, that they need to be more careful and save themselves for the playoffs.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think what you have is a bunch of guys who have decided the regular season may not be as important and are more or less saving it for the playoffs. Secondary to that I think you have had a ton of guys injured and that has more or less fed into that and has made the lineup very disjointed all season. I think the Watson incident hasn't helped matters either.

As someone else mentioned when this team is playing it's best it is playing good defense and forechecking, not necessarily out scoring teams like Tampa. That kind of system takes effort though and I just don't think it's there atm.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
I think what you have is a bunch of guys who have decided the regular season may not be as important and are more or less saving it for the playoffs. Secondary to that I think you have had a ton of guys injured and that has more or less fed into that and has made the lineup very disjointed all season. I think the Watson incident hasn't helped matters either.

As someone else mentioned when this team is playing it's best it is playing good defense and forechecking, not necessarily out scoring teams like Tampa. That kind of system takes effort though and I just don't think it's there atm.

Exactly. And most teams get kinda "distracted" with the trade deadline coming up, especially a team like Nashville. They hear the rumors, they're anxious to see what their GMs do, and many of them (depths players) are kinda scared to get traded, so it's all a distraction. I'd be more worried if they played like that in late March, but right now, I think that's normal.

Reactions: PJ817

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Billy Martin II ?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don’t know about the guys just going through the motions or lack of effort.

Guys seem to be consistently in the wrong place at the wrong time, lack of communication seems to be an issue. Lack of execution I see, lack of emotion I don’t. I do see frustration

This the problem with a coach that’s not a system guy, he has nothing to fall back in when things break down, which is why when Lavy teams slump, the slump hard

Reactions: JR303 and Pred303

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I don’t know about the guys just going through the motions or lack of effort.

Guys seem to be consistently in the wrong place at the wrong time, lack of communication seems to be an issue. Lack of execution I see, lack of emotion I don’t. I do see frustration

This the problem with a coach that’s not a system guy, he has nothing to fall back in when things break down, which is why when Lavy teams slump, the slump hard

agreed completely trig. lavy is and always has been the big picture type of coach, not a systems guy. because of which he relies heavily on his assistants to develop and run the offensive/defensive/special teams. in most cases in lavy's career he has run into troubles after initial success when other tams raided his assistant coaches because of that success. I admit I don't have a ton of confidence in muse/mccarthy

Reactions: triggrman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad