Observations XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Something happened to me at the game tonight that has never happened before. I got yelled at by an usher for waiting for a whistle to go to my seat.

I came into the bowl and since the period had already started, I stopped at a place you can stand and watch to wait for a whistle. An usher asked if I had tickets for that section and I said yes, I'm just waiting for a whistle and she started yelling at me and 3 other people that we couldn't stand there. I said I can't go to my seat because the puck is in play, but she kept insisting that we all needed to leave that area. I said ma'am, we can't go down because the puck is in play, we are just waiting for a whistle. I really think she was ready to call security if a whistle had not been blown, lol!

The puck in play signs come up for sale sometimes ... might be the perfect gift for that usher.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Something happened to me at the game tonight that has never happened before. I got yelled at by an usher for waiting for a whistle to go to my seat.

I came into the bowl and since the period had already started, I stopped at a place you can stand and watch to wait for a whistle. An usher asked if I had tickets for that section and I said yes, I'm just waiting for a whistle and she started yelling at me and 3 other people that we couldn't stand there. I said I can't go to my seat because the puck is in play, but she kept insisting that we all needed to leave that area. I said ma'am, we can't go down because the puck is in play, we are just waiting for a whistle. I really think she was ready to call security if a whistle had not been blown, lol!

I need to know your section. Apparently it's a good spot for usher watching.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
This is likely blasphemy but could a PP unit of Forsberg, Arvidsson, Boyle, Subban and Josi work at all? Does Boyle have a good enough shot that he could be right wing and give us a decent shot from the right dot? That would give us a left hand shot on the right dot, right hand shot from the left dot, Arvy jump screen at the paint and decent passing and shots (left and right handed defense-men) from the blue lines to drive the play. I know having Joey not the centerpiece of a #1 PP unit is scandalous for many of us since his passing drives the 5 on 5 offense.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Good win from the guys, the first 10 minutes of the 2nd I thought we weren't that good but other than that pretty solid game.

I think the biggest problem by far this year has been the powerplay. We're 2nd in the Central, 4th in the West but dead last on the PP. So we've been really good 5-on-5.

Just counted that if we had an average powerplay, 15th in the league @ 20,92 % where Ottawa sits right now we would have 42 powerplay goals instead of our 26. So 16 more goals. I think that wins us a bunch of hockey games.

With a decent PP, we're battling for the WC title again and probably just behind Tampa.
Tampa has the #1 PP scorching along at just a tick under 30%. Their PK is beastly too - 3rd in the league but only .04 behind #1. A decent PP would vault the Preds higher for sure, but Tampa right now is in a class all by themselves.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
A few things about the PP.

1. Even though our PP has sucked this year, we are where we are. I'm not happy about the PP sucking but if we're here, we're here. I'll take it with all the injuries and it sucking.

2. Once the playoffs start, it doesn't matter what our PP was like during the regular season. Everyone starts off 0-0 in their series and 0-0 on their PP and PK.

3. In one of the years the Kings won the Cup, their PP in the playoffs was something like 9 or 10%, yet they won the Cup. Timely PP goals are what counts in the playoffs and they were clutch when the scored.

4. How to fix it? Stop taking only point shots or shots from the faceoff dots. Watch other teams and the success they have, they have a guy in the high slot and do shot passes that get directed to the net which causes havoc. Pucks end up sitting in front or will get directed to the outside and if we have guys positioned well, they're easy tap ins.

Also, doing this sort of strategy will then open up more lanes for the shots from the point and the faceoff dots. If all teams have to do is defend those three places, it's easy for them. Add the shot pass scenario and all of a sudden we become that much harder to play against.

You can also mix that in with some overload situations where you have a guy along the half wall, one below the goal and a guy in the high to mid slot area. Pass from the half walk to down low to the slot for one timers. Winnipeg did this effectively against us last year in the playoffs.

We have the talent and puck movers to utilize either of these set ups. We also have to change it up so teams can't just defend against one system.

One thing not PP related that people forget, we were up 3-0 in game 3 in Winnipeg and crapped the bed in the second. We take that game, I don't know the series goes 7. While they beat us in 7, I don't know that we beat ourselves more at the end of the day.

Another thing not PP related, the 2nd and 3rd lines were much more balanced and efficient last night. I liked what Hartman brought to his line and how Sissons added some grit to the Turris/Fiala combo. Fiala also reminds me of Smith from a few years ago where he couldn't buy a goal. The last two games he's generated a lot of great shots from in close with no luck. It may not be his year. He's doing the right things, it's just not happening for him.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
This is likely blasphemy but could a PP unit of Forsberg, Arvidsson, Boyle, Subban and Josi work at all? Does Boyle have a good enough shot that he could be right wing and give us a decent shot from the right dot? That would give us a left hand shot on the right dot, right hand shot from the left dot, Arvy jump screen at the paint and decent passing and shots (left and right handed defense-men) from the blue lines to drive the play. I know having Joey not the centerpiece of a #1 PP unit is scandalous for many of us since his passing drives the 5 on 5 offense.
There is literally no downside to trying absolutely anything at all. Put Saros out as the 1 d back. Have Muse jump into the opponents bench and start sucking everyone's blood. There is just no way, no matter what is attempted that the product will sink lower.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Josi should be that left handed shot, unless we trade for one. Fiala on the second unit.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Boyle is where he belongs in front of the net. I like Forsberg as the trigger/setup man on the left halfwall. He is a beast on that curl move coming out high. When teams start respecting that move then he can zip it across ice to Subban/Ellis or look for a high tip.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Maybe letting Saros or Rinne skate it up to the red line is the answer to our PP. The PK drop pass sure as hell isn't.

Our PP is truly frustrating to me. Dead last doesn't go with our stats in any other area. 11th on the PK (ok, not great but a lot better than dead last) ... t-11th goals for per game ... 4th lowest goals allowed per game ... 7th most shots for per game ... 7th fewest shots allowed per game ... 8th in face off % ... similar ranking in 5on5 scoring (7th but with more games played than the next few teams). We can argue if the problem on the PP is strategy or execution but there is something clearly different about how we approach that situation.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I think the powerplay is headed in the right direction since Boyle came in. If you assume that an NHL team is going to get about 3 pp's per game, and score on 20% of them, that's about two PPG every three games. They've got 3 in the last 6 games, so one off of being at the expected pace after going nearly a month without scoring.

Most importantly, since adding Boyle the PP just looks more dangerous. I'm hopeful that if they can get some confidence and get the puck moving just a little faster, we'll be okay there. Probably not anything to really talk about, but adequate.

As others pointed out all season, the entry with the drop-passes needs to change because it just doesn't work as everyone is keying on it. And then once set up, we just take too long to pass the puck around. Passing is okay, but it has to be done with quick decisions and purpose.

Reactions: sparkle twin

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
The Preds are near the top of powerplay opportunities. 3 PPG in the last six games is great ... but that is with 20 opportunities ... so 15% in that span.

5 for 59 in calendar year 2019 is disappointing.

For the season we score on PP goal for every 13.24 minutes of PP time.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The Preds are near the top of powerplay opportunities. 3 PPG in the last six games is great ... but that is with 20 opportunities ... so 15% in that span.

5 for 59 in calendar year 2019 is disappointing.

For the season we score on PP goal for every 13.24 minutes of PP time.

Like I said, one goal off of the expected pace there, 4/20 is 20%. Nothing special but moving in the right direction.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This is random but there are 26 players technically listed on the Preds roster including injuries, suspension, etc. 15 of them are either from Sweden, the US or the Vancouver area. That seems like a lot for only 3 specfic places.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I mean those are major hockey markets now so... If you wanted to say they are all from this state or this city in Sweden, I'd be more impressed.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Gallant took Laviolette to school last night, my goodness. Even Saros couldn't save us this time.

Although, Vegas is one of the teams I don't mind losing that much, they're really fun, modern hockey team and that kind of hockey should in my opinion yield success. They're really entertaining, good team.

Ellis is something else at this point. Fabbro can't come soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad