Observations XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
C'mon, who honestly expected us to beat Detroit? Haven't beaten them under Lavy.

Not gonna call out Turris alone, of course he's looked bad and has more expectations but the whole team outside of JOFA and Josi has looked awful lately.

I don't know how after spending so much assets the last few years we find ourselves in a situation where we need another top-6 forward.

Obviously, the rest of the team is going through a slump right now, JOFA will cool down and others will pick it up.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Last 5 years vs Detroit:

Overall: 1-9
Home: 0-5
Road: 1-4

We have not beaten them in Bridgestone since 2013!!!!!

Every matchup we were the far superior team.

No exaggeration- in 40 years this is one of the most inexplicable things I have ever seen in sports.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Time to throw in the towel on this group. Make some changes in the off season. A deadline is not going to help this pile of crap. At least we won't have to pony up for playoff tickets past the first round.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
You can put last night's debacle squarely on the shoulders of all 18 players in the third. Except maybe Rocco who barely played.

I honestly don't know if it is worth us making a move anymore. There may be a much larger retooling needed.

A game like that does make one wonder if picking up one player even as good as Stone would make a huge difference. This forward group outside of the top 3 have fell off of the face of the earth. Putting Stone on a wing would help; but he is no miracle-worker.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Thing is I can't decide if they just suck or if some of them are more or less waiting on the playoffs. A big part of me thinks we are just sucking, because I feel like most of the guys are trying.

JR303

Feb 28, 2008
You know, I've been watching this team since day 1, and as much as I hate to admit it, they have really just sucked the joy out of watching hockey for me.

I don't catch as many games as I used to, but man, the ones I do catch are just painful right now. Hopefully they can pull out of it soon. Just seem to be finding ways to lose games, whether they "deserve" to or not.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You know, I've been watching this team since day 1, and as much as I hate to admit it, they have really just sucked the joy out of watching hockey for me.

I don't catch as many games as I used to, but man, the ones I do catch are just painful right now. Hopefully they can pull out of it soon. Just seem to be finding ways to lose games, whether they "deserve" to or not.
It would be different if we were losing to the top teams in the league, but hell we beat them and then can't beat the bottom dwellers.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Knew everyone would be frustrated, i certainly am. What makes it so difficult to keep the faith is that we know we have the right pieces to be one of the elite teams in the league, and we obviously aren't right now.

we either have to be much better offensively, or much better defensively, or truly great in net. right now we really aren't in any of those things. When the season started i think i remember saying that if rinne had a save % of .915, we would finish below 100 points and be in a dogfight to get home ice in any round. admittedly i didn't forsee the struggles the entire central division would have (thank God). but i think the principle still applies.

Reactions: Enoch

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
bottom line, is there are few things more interesting than a team outperforming expectaions. but very few things more disappointing and disouraging than a team badly underperforming expectations. It takes all the fun out of being fan of a team.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I just can't believe we started 13-3 with this roster. My god.

To me, that is the least surprising part- I mean, this is still basically the same roster that:
was 2 wins away from winning the cup
117 point season/Presidents trophy
Played a terrible series and still took a 114 point Jets team to 7 games.

Which makes the current state of the team so inexplicable and maddening. (And depressing..........)

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
This is a good roster. Sure, there are some holes like every team. There are some weaknesses. That is true of every team in the cap era. The best we can do is hope they are sleepwalking through the regular season and will wake up come playoffs. I do not necessarily think that's what is happening right now but it's really the only way for me to remain optimistic.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
This is a good roster. Sure, there are some holes like every team. There are some weaknesses. That is true of every team in the cap era. The best we can do is hope they are sleepwalking through the regular season and will wake up come playoffs. I do not necessarily think that's what is happening right now but it's really the only way for me to remain optimistic.

That is the only thing that is keeping me going right now. I don't think they are "waiting for the playoffs" but you do see teams go through some struggles like the Preds are right now after having seasons like we have had the past 2- (going to the finals/ winning President's Trophy and then suffering a terrible playoff exit).

Going into this season, many on here, myself included, said that we weren't going to worry about President's trophies or killing yourself in the regular season- because none of that matters come playoff time- we all should have learned that lesson last year. Being ready for the playoffs is all that matters.

Well, that mantra is being tested big time on us die hard fans right now, that is for certain.

I keep going back to the Capitals. Back to back presidents trophies and nothing to show for it except painful playoff exits. Then last year they were viewed by almost everyone as a much lesser team and also went through some regular season struggles (though not quite as bad as what we are going through). Even lost their first 2 playoff games and were in OT in game 3. Were that close to being eliminated in round 1. And yet we all know what happened.

And to find a ray of optimism- despite everything- despite the fact that this whole season has felt like one big mess- take a look at the standings- we are only 4 points out of the #2 overall record in the league. That is incredibly hard to believe. As bad as we have been, everything is still there for the taking.

So I still hold out some hope, but I will admit that hope is fading. But again, all of the above is what I am trying to use to keep me going as a fan right now....

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i think that "saving it for the playoffs" mindset is completely bogus. yes every team goes through the ups and downs of an 82 game season. hockey is the most demanding sport in my opinion. but we have seen enough of a sample and have enough data, stats, and eye test of certain individuals that something isn't right.

im starting to pivot back to the coaching staff more and more often.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
before and after injury, i honestly forget turris is playing a lot of nights. i actually have to re-remember we acquired turris when i accidentally notice #8 is on the ice.

a tad dramatic but you get my point.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
before and after injury, i honestly forget turris is playing a lot of nights. i actually have to re-remember we acquired turris when i accidentally notice #8 is on the ice.

a tad dramatic but you get my point.

I notice he's on the ice because I'm typically saying 'dammit Turris!'. Maybe my expectations are a little higher than they should be given he was out for so long. Not to mention the entire team's chemistry sucks right now outside of JOFA.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Eh I'm gonna cut Turris a bit of slack right now. He was out due to injury, and frankly if it was a rib that's probably something that's not really going to allow you to do much when you are down. That injury hurts just sitting around trying to breath.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Let me ask this, see if anyone has the time or easy access to research it.

Of the teams that have lost in the finals one year, how many win the PT the next season? How do those teams do year 2 after the loss?

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Lots to agree with in today’s posts. I don’t see how we give up assets to supplement our current state. Given that this group asked for another chance, give it to them. Then judge and likely re-tool over the summer. My current re-tool would include PK and Turris. With a strong nod to a coaching change.

We have a great core and bright future but the present is painful as hell.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Let me ask this, see if anyone has the time or easy access to research it.

Of the teams that have lost in the finals one year, how many win the PT the next season? How do those teams do year 2 after the loss?

I don't have time to research that right now, but the Predators current place in the standings doesn't bother me really.

What bothers me more is what I'm seeing with my eyes from this team in how they play. There are some pretty glaring weaknesses on this team offensively, defensively, and (of course) special teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: predhead1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad