Observations XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
We have the 2nd worst PP in the league at 9.7%.

Our PK is also pretty bad at 73.1% (21st).

If either our PP or our PK had been better tonight, we could have won.

As has been stated on these boards many times over the last years, you want your PP and PK percentages to add up to 100 or better to be considered a good/playoff team.

Being at 82% is totally unacceptable and highlights how much we've been leaning on JoFA and our goalies so far.

It's still early, and we've been successful overall, but the special teams need to do something different in a hurry.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
We have to shake up that middle-6. Put Fiala-Bonino-Jarnkrok back together and see if they can find the magic they had at one point last season. Second line of Hartman-Turris-Smith doesn't sound bad either.

SOMETHING has to start happening outside of JOFA.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
a few thoughts the morning after..

..cann't imagine worse special team play than we have had these first 9 games
..we have now allowed 8 PP gaols and 1 shorthanded goal. 9 in 9 games. while allowing only 11 5 on 5 goals.
..we have actually scored more empty net goals (5) than PP goals (3).
..we have had 3 5 on 3 PP's where we didn't score.
..even strength 5 on 5 we have outscored opponents 22-11. the most scored es of any team and the 2nd fewest allowed es.
...if we aren't going to be an upper half PP team we HAVE to be a top 10ish PK team, and it's looked as bad as the PP (almost)
..i don't have the answers. wish i did.

..our first line is just so damn good.
..every other line has been so damn bad (minus smith)
..breakdown of our scoring by line by 5 on 5 es non empty net looks like this;
1st line; 12 (forsberg 4, arvy 6, johansen 2)
2nd line; 3 (fiala 0, turris 0, smith 3)
3rd line; 2 (hartman 1, bonino 0, jarnkrok 1)
4th line; 2 (salomaki 0, sissons 1, rinaldo 1)

...hard to believe how bad bonino has looked offensively, while admittedly looking great defensively.
...jarnkrok has looked like playoff jarnkrok, invisible
..fiala is pressing and has looked downright awful. and very bad on the PP halfwall
..we are simply getting nothing outside the top line. we have truly become a one line team. depth. we still badly need better forward depth.
...as much as i would hate to breakup that top line, it might be worth considering moving one of them to the second unit to at least try to develop depth. and it might actually get someone else going being moved to top line.
...how can fiala be a -4 on a team that is +11 even strength?

...subban has not played well. people don't want to hear this but he hasn't
...josi hasn't looked good at all this year.
...ellis and ekholm have outplayed these two significantly in both ends honestly.

...i cann't help it, i still worry about a full time game after game saros. size and rebound control i still have questions on, not his athletic ability.
...over so many years of watching hockey i have just seen so many goalies flame out after looking great their first 50 odd games or as a backup spot starter.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
With 7-2 record one wouldn't think we have so many problems as we do but we do. Without elite goaltending we'd be somewhere .500.

It can't be a personnel issue with special teams. We were fine last year. Good special teams win you a lot of games.

Was just thinking the same thing 303 above mentioned, the scoring outside our top line 5-on-5. It's not pretty. Something has to happen there. Line changes, scratches, something.

Last night is about what you could expect soon as our goalie couldn't save our asses.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I'm really starting to sour on Fiala after last night. Trying not to overreact but he was terrible last night and obviously hasn't had a good start to the season.

- Terrible on the second unit PP. Slow decision making and turnovers by him are killing that unit.
- Turnovers galore
- High risk plays that don't work out and end up in the back of our net
- Lax in defensive situation; not making up for it offensively
- Has been terrible at finishing so far

I'm really down on him right now.

Reactions: myFialabot

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Why did he rip the one right in front of the net so hard? Did he have no clue how much time he had? Brilliant pass by Turris on that play.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
One thing that has really bothered me this season is Yannick thinking he's a forward and not a defenseman. I've seen him rushing up way too much for what I'm comfortable with.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
One thing that has really bothered me this season is Yannick thinking he's a forward and not a defenseman. I've seen him rushing up way too much for what I'm comfortable with.
Yeah but that's system related no? I gotta think he is doing what he is told to do in practice. Was that his tendency prior to joining the team? I thought he was more of stay at home type but I could be misremembering.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Weber has always been more of a pmd.

Did something happen with Hammer last night, he missed quite a few shifts.

Fiala and Bonino need to be on a line together with Salomaki. that way we can keep the invisible players on the same line.

Reactions: predfan98

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
don't know if you noticed but in the second period for about 13-14 minutes our defensive pairs were subban-josi and ekholm-ellis. don't know why or why we changed back but that wasn't caused by special team play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad