Observations XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Since Jonesey is closing version XIX lets resume here...

We can't see in the locker room or know team dynamics. That being said do you think Roman Josi will remain captain or will it move to someone else? What does he bring that someone else can't? Comparing him to Shea is apples to oranges. We sure don't see angry Roman like we did angry Shea on ice. What other player do you see stepping into that leadership position in 2018 - 2019 season?

Last edited:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Josi will remain captain as long as he is with the team.

The only time in team history a C was taken away was from Arnott who knew his time was limited in order to give it to Weber to try to keep him here.

No scenario like that is remotely possible, IMO

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Guess I liked Shea's style with the C more than Roman's. Hard to change much with the team's success. I just remembered a conversation about c and alt c last year and who was considered. I am not advocating a change, just hot summer day thoughts. Old man, hot summer day a man's mind wanders to ice hockey.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
You know who does get angry and plays his ass off when he’s mad? Forsberg. I seriously think he should be captain at some point. That is, if he continues to do what he does.
Huge hits, crazy dekes, power moves, sick shot/passing, plays the dirty areas, possession-driver, etc. He fits the bill.. he’s just a tad too young.

Cletus Marley

Feb 11, 2007
Cirith Ungol
If you ignore the letter on the sweater you would think Subban is the Captain. He is the one getting the guys fired up and high fiving everyone as they go in and out of the dressing room. I guess it depends whether you believe the cancer in the dressing room talk. He acts like he is wearing the C.

Reactions: myFialabot

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Sissons 14th in Selke voting
Josi 29th and Ellis tied for 49th in Lady Byng voting
Subban 3rd and Josi 7th in Norris voting
Laviolette 5th in Jack Adams voting

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
How did Lavy finish 5th? He should have been no worse than 3rd or 4th.

Nashville went from 8th place, last of the 16 playoff teams to our first ever division championship and our first ever presidents trophy.

I still don't understand how Boston's coach was in the top 3. I would have had Vegas, Colorado, Nashville, NJ, Winnipeg as my top 5.

Reactions: PredsV82

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Did the math and the league will have to pay
$ 235,609,277
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

in 2020-2021 in signing bonuses. I could see it go to half a billion which has to be paid.

Also, if the Preds add another 2.3 million in 2020-2021 they will be in the top 10 for NHL teams

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i understand the desire by Poile to 'give it another go' and not make major additions or changes to the roster. i still think that the team needs an upgrade RW'er on the 2nd line that can win puck battles, and get to the front of the net.

maybe tolvanen adds to the forward scoring, maybe he's not ready to be that yet. maybe bitetto, irwin and weber are ready to be our 3rd pair d, maybe not.

i assume poile's strategy will be to go into the regular season with the current roster but cap space, and be ready to use that cap space for any needed adds that become apparent (exactly like last year with turris). not a bad strategy honestly, as much as i want more forward help, one still cann't make the case that poile isn't right in doing that.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
i understand the desire by Poile to 'give it another go' and not make major additions or changes to the roster. i still think that the team needs an upgrade RW'er on the 2nd line that can win puck battles, and get to the front of the net.

maybe tolvanen adds to the forward scoring, maybe he's not ready to be that yet. maybe bitetto, irwin and weber are ready to be our 3rd pair d, maybe not.

i assume poile's strategy will be to go into the regular season with the current roster but cap space, and be ready to use that cap space for any needed adds that become apparent (exactly like last year with turris). not a bad strategy honestly, as much as i want more forward help, one still cann't make the case that poile isn't right in doing that.

yeah, if we're not gonna add anyone significant now, could always try and look to upgrade RW and bottom pair during the season before the trade deadline.

notable RW'ers with 1 year left until UFA: Jordan Eberle, Mats Zuccarello, Blake Wheeler, Justin Williams, Wayne Simmonds, Jakob Silfverberg, Gustav Nyquist

the way things are going in Long Island, wouldn't be surprised if Eberle was available at TDL. Zuccarello, Williams, Nyquist and Simmonds could be available too depending on where their teams are at around the TDL. Wheeler and Silfverberg are very unlikely to play for us anytime soon cause of the teams they play for.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
One thing I would understand is if the Preds at least made polite inquiries on the UFA market, but just couldn't find a fit. The pickings were admittedly slim in terms of scoring wingers. I would fully understand not wanting to pay JvR $7M. I would understand not wanting to pay Neal more than he got - and knowing how prickly he can be would understand if he was still a little miffed at being let go in expansion and not so inclined to come back. You could try... and still not come up with anything that made sense on the efforts to upgrade the scoring winger. Fair enough.

On D however... I know on Day 1 you can imagine that even in the group of younger guys who signed more reasonable deals - Pateryn, Moore (5 years is a lot tho), Hickey, Holden - those guys might like to wish they had a clearer path into top-4 ice and not want to sign here. But as we get to Day 3, 4, 5... I really don't think there's too much excuse for not signing a "leftovers" d-man. Hamhuis, Enstrom, those guys... they can't all be holding out for top-4 roles or long-term contracts at this stage of the game when the music has largely stopped.

It's true... you could just wait and see if there's an injury on D during the season that forces things, or if Irwin/Weber/Bitetto stumble. But... by the time that happens, you're behind the 8-ball and paying a 2nd round pick or whatever in a trade for a guy that you could have signed in July for a song.

I think they're doing a disservice to their stockpile of futures assets if the approach is just to wait and see and address things with deadline rental trades. For sure there are going to be players available in trades... but at a cost which digs further into our already-depleted stock of prospects and draft picks. The team might still find a need to explore that option, even if they sign somebody now. Who knows. But signing somebody now at least mitigates against that possibility, at no additional risk or cost. They have enough cap space that signing somebody at this stage still leaves a big cushion for further moves.

The only excuse for not adding a D now to me is if just nobody wants to sign with us. Or somehow ALL the remaining decent UFAs are holding out for unreasonable term. Which seems unlikely at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad