Niederreiter-Trocheck-Necas
Dzingel-Staal-Williams
Foegele-Martinook-McGinn

Slavin-Vatanen
Skjei-Edmundson
Gardiner-Van Riemsdyk

Mrazek
Reimer

As you all know, I'd rather have Fleury over Eddy, but it's Brindy, so you know that he has to fit Eddy somewhere. I will say that the 1st and 3rd defensive pairs look really good. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of disappointment about Geekie not in the lineup, but to me, a productive and motivated Dzingel is a good thing, not a bad thing. Brindy being willing to play him on the 3rd line over Foegele is a really good sign that he's been impressed with his progression post-resumption.

My thoughts:

-I really like the Slavin-Vatanen pairing. As unlikely as it is that they end up re-signing Vatanen, at least they’ll get a real good look at what he can do with over 20mins a night and 1st PP unit time.

-I don’t like Skjei-Edmundson, but someone has to play their offside with 2 RD out. It’s a shame that the Skjei-Fleury pairing is no longer a thing.

-Throwing out the Trocheck line with Gardiner against the NYR bottom 6 and 3rd pairing I think could be key to the series. If the end-of-year Gardiner shows up with the “good” version of Trocheck, there should be some matchups that CAR can exploit.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My thoughts:

-I really like the Slavin-Vatanen pairing. As unlikely as it is that they end up re-signing Vatanen, at least they’ll get a real good look at what he can do with over 20mins a night and 1st PP unit time.

-I don’t like Skjei-Edmundson, but someone has to play their offside with 2 RD out. It’s a shame that the Skjei-Fleury pairing is no longer a thing.

-Throwing out the Trocheck line with Gardiner against the NYR bottom 6 and 3rd pairing I think could be key to the series. If the end-of-year Gardiner shows up with the “good” version of Trocheck, there should be some matchups that CAR can exploit.

The COVID element actually makes a Vatanen signing more likely to me, since he may be willing to accept a 1-year, cup-contender type of deal. Having 1 full season of Slavin/Hamilton, Skjei/Pesce, Gardiner/Vatanen would be fabulous to watch. After the expansion draft and Vatanen's deal expiring, the Fleury/Bean/Keane trio can seamlessly enter the lineup without a hitch.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
So, this is the likely Game 1 lineup based on recent practices:

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Niederreiter-Trocheck-Necas
Dzingel-Staal-Williams
Foegele-Martinook-McGinn

Slavin-Vatanen
Skjei-Edmundson
Gardiner-Van Riemsdyk

Mrazek
Reimer

As you all know, I'd rather have Fleury over Eddy, but it's Brindy, so you know that he has to fit Eddy somewhere. I will say that the 1st and 3rd defensive pairs look really good. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of disappointment about Geekie not in the lineup, but to me, a productive and motivated Dzingel is a good thing, not a bad thing. Brindy being willing to play him on the 3rd line over Foegele is a really good sign that he's been impressed with his progression post-resumption.

I think we'll see Warren slotted everywhere.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I'm optimistic about those two, especially Dzingel. I hope that they both prove me right. As the single biggest Gardiner proponent in the entire board, I also am expecting him to prove all of the critics wrong.
THAT’S WHY I DIDN’T EVEN MENTION GARDINER. HE HAS POTENTIALLY GOOD CEILING AND WE FACE UNCERTAIN TIMES (NOT JUST IN HOCKEY).

DZINGEL IS A QUESTION... HE’S WITH A SAGE AND A TURTLE. I AM EXCITED, BUT WARY.
BEST SCENARIO IS HIM CREATING CHANCES FOR THE VET AND THE BIG BUTT IN FRONT OF THE NET, WORST SCENARIO IS INEFFECTIVE CHEMISTRY.

MY BEEF IS TVR/EDDY OVER FLEURY.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Canes need to do to NYR what Boston did to Carolina last year in the Playoffs. They have an advantage of depth and they need it to produce.

Boston's 5v5 goals against Carolina in the ECF were scored by Wagner (2), Heinen (1), Backes (1), Kampfer (1), Grzelcyk (1), Clifton (1), and Bergeron (1). Canes need contributions from the likes of Foegele, Williams, Staal, Geekie, etc.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The COVID element actually makes a Vatanen signing more likely to me, since he may be willing to accept a 1-year, cup-contender type of deal. Having 1 full season of Slavin/Hamilton, Skjei/Pesce, Gardiner/Vatanen would be fabulous to watch. After the expansion draft and Vatanen's deal expiring, the Fleury/Bean/Keane trio can seamlessly enter the lineup without a hitch.
ridiculous mismanagement to keep Fleury and Bean in the A. Not or, and. No reason either should be in the A or a 7th defender. They either play or trade them

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
ridiculous mismanagement to keep Fleury and Bean in the A. Not or, and. No reason either should be in the A or a 7th defender. They either play or trade them

It's not that cut-and-dry. Perhaps a 1 year Vatanen deal can allow the FO to parlay Fleury or Bean (in a package, of course) into a guy like Dylan Strome in the offseason. It could well be smart to deal the guy that they are less high on for a good return and then protect the other in the Expansion Draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
It's not that cut-and-dry. Perhaps a 1 year Vatanen deal can allow the FO to parlay Fleury or Bean (in a package, of course) into a guy like Dylan Strome in the offseason.
It is that cut and dry. Either those two are the bottom pair or trade them. If we sign Vatanen and do not undo the Gardiner mistake, then both should be traded.

Reactions: zman77 and cptjeff

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It is that cut and dry. Either those two are the bottom pair or trade them. If we sign Vatanen and do not undo the Gardiner mistake, then both should be traded.

I don't think that they plan to deal Gardiner until the next offseason. Again, there's a real possibility of a rebound in play there. Maybe they deal Bean for someone less NHL-ready like Dylan Samberg or Shane Pinto but whom also isn't expansion eligible, not dis-similar to the Gauthier/Keane swap/punt.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Roland Mckeown now listed on the Canes roster page...weird:

upload_2020-7-25_17-37-1.png

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They’re moving guys up the ladder with Dougie out, and adding someone to the bottom of the ladder. Keane presumably keeps his spot above Rollie.

Nope, Keane isn’t on the list. I’d assume Rod wasn’t comfy with the rookie vs the “vet”.

Which adds up with Rod. He’s not wrong either. We don’t need an offensive guy to step in, we’ll need someone for the bottom pair. Vatanen will be the pp guy for Dougie.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Until Hamilton is back, we'll play that D'Antoni-era Phoenix Suns "seven seconds or less" version of hockey. Don't you worry LMAO!
Roughneck and rudeness,
We should be using, on the ones who practice wicked charms
For the sword and the stone
Bad to the bone
Battle is not over
Even when it's won

I'll be waiting

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but even without pesce and Hamilton that's still a better defense than the canes had at any point from like 2010-2017
On paper, yes. Slavin is top 10 D in the league. But TVR was better last season. Eddy is meh. Skjei is enigma. Gardiner has, what, 5 good games? Vatanen is in new system after some time out with injuries.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'm not sure how much stock to put into online rosters. As of a couple of days ago, it didn't have Geekie on it, and now he (+Bishop, McCormick, Lorentz) is on it.
I'd put zero stock in them. I think it was the Canes Country interview recently where Rod said that while he didn't want to say things were riding on the preseason game, that final roster decisions won't be made until after it. Things are very much still up in the air depending on how players perform in game action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad