Pre-Game Talk: nyrcar

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It sucks it's the Rags because their team now has motivation to beat us so they can potentially get an even higher 1st round pick from us. The Stanley Cup is an afterthought.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
this is the message I typed after I deleted the gif I was going to direct at NYR supporters looking for smoke, from the "Hit Em Up" music video which probably would have been deleted in the end anyways

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I keep forgetting Canes will have Dougie. And Vatanen. Blue line even without Pesce will be sick.

Maybe Gardiner will GET sick and not play. That’d help.

edit - not sick like virus sick. Just under the weather. Felt the need to clarify.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I keep forgetting Canes will have Dougie. And Vatanen. Blue line even without Pesce will be sick.

Maybe Gardiner will GET sick and not play. That’d help.

No, that would hurt. Gardiner is a play-driver, not a drag, on our defensive corps. My question is mainly about Eddy, Vatanen, and Skjei and how Brindy plans to deploy them. I'd rather have Eddy as the first guy off the bench, Gardiner next to TVR, Vatanen next to Slavin, and Skjei next to Hamilton. Have play-drivers play next to support-cast guys. I would also go full Quenneville and put Fleury on the 4th line instead of McGinn and make McGinn the first forward off the bench.

I think a line-up like this would be amazing, honestly:

Teravainen-Aho-Necas
Svechnikov-Trocheck-Dzingel
Niederreiter-Staal-Williams
Fleury-Martinook-Foegele
Extra: McGinn, Geekie

Skjei-Hamilton
Slavin-Vatanen
Gardiner-Van Riemsdyk
Extra: Edmundson

Snipers next to playmakers, every scoring line with a right shot, and play-drivers from top to bottom.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
No, that would hurt. Gardiner is a play-driver, not a drag, on our defensive corps. My question is mainly about Eddy, Vatanen, and Skjei and how Brindy plans to deploy them. I'd rather have Eddy as the first guy off the bench, Gardiner next to TVR, Vatanen next to Slavin, and Skjei next to Hamilton. Have play-drivers play next to support-cast guys. I would also go full Quenneville and put Fleury on the 4th line instead of McGinn and make McGinn the first forward off the bench.

I think a line-up like this would be amazing, honestly:

Teravainen-Aho-Necas
Svechnikov-Trocheck-Dzingel
Niederreiter-Staal-Williams
Fleury-Martinook-Foegele
Extra: McGinn, Geekie

Skjei-Hamilton
Slavin-Vatanen
Gardiner-Van Riemsdyk
Extra: Edmundson

Snipers next to playmakers, every scoring line with a right shot, and play-drivers from top to bottom.
Your lines always seem to disregard who the coach of the Canes is. Necas with Aho and TT? You think that line stands a chance of happening with Rod?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Your lines always seem to disregard who the coach of the Canes is. Necas with Aho and TT? You think that line stands a chance of happening with Rod?

Oh, I know how Rod's going to play his lines (i.e. as conservatively and status quo as possible, and overplaying McGinn and Eddy because he needs "sandpaper"). Considering that the Rags dominated us in the regular season, though, I want some experimentation in order to build the lines differently and amplify the offense on the top lines and D pairings, considering that the Rangers goalies ALWAYS stand on their heads against us.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
While the Rangers are about the worst possible draw for the Canes in a play-in scenario, I do think it’s worthwhile to point out that the Canes team that will take the ice against NYR will be vastly different than the team that dropped 4 games to them in the regular season.

Getting Hamilton back to 100% and having a full training camp to integrate Skjei, Trocheck and a healthy Vatanen into the team is about the best thing possible for a roster that underwent huge turnover right before the season abruptly stopped. Cause I like hypothetical lineups, here’s my stab at the lines:

Svechnikov-Aho-Necas
Dzingel-Trocheck-Teravainen
Foegele-Staal-Williams
Niederrieter-Geekie-Martinook

Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Fleury
Gardiner-Vatanen

That lineup is pretty unlikely, as Necas is not defensively responsible enough for 1st line minutes, but I think TT on a line with Dzingel might be just what the dr ordered to bring out the scoring forward they thought they were getting when they signed Dzingel. And no way Geekie plays over McGinn, but whatevs.

Edmundson likely plays over Fleury, but we all can dream can’t we? I think Gardiner has more than earned his 3rd pair spot with his strong play after the Hamilton injury as well. There’s such an epic logjam on D now, I think the only guarantees to play game in/game out, assuming they’re healthy, are Slavin/Hamilton/Skjei.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
While the Rangers are about the worst possible draw for the Canes in a play-in scenario, I do think it’s worthwhile to point out that the Canes team that will take the ice against NYR will be vastly different than the team that dropped 4 games to them in the regular season.

Getting Hamilton back to 100% and having a full training camp to integrate Skjei, Trocheck and a healthy Vatanen into the team is about the best thing possible for a roster that underwent huge turnover right before the season abruptly stopped. Cause I like hypothetical lineups, here’s my stab at the lines:

Svechnikov-Aho-Necas
Dzingel-Trocheck-Teravainen
Foegele-Staal-Williams
Niederrieter-Geekie-Martinook

Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Fleury
Gardiner-Vatanen

That lineup is pretty unlikely, as Necas is not defensively responsible enough for 1st line minutes, but I think TT on a line with Dzingel might be just what the dr ordered to bring out the scoring forward they thought they were getting when they signed Dzingel. And no way Geekie plays over McGinn, but whatevs.

Edmundson likely plays over Fleury, but we all can dream can’t we? I think Gardiner has more than earned his 3rd pair spot with his strong play after the Hamilton injury as well.

I think switch Foegele and Nino (Nino looks great with fellow strongman Jordan Staal), and I think that your forward lines are perfect. I prefer an all-strong-side defense, so I would probably put Gardiner with TVR and Vatanen with Slavin. Have Fleury in the lineup constantly as a Quenneville-like hybrid, either as a 4th line forward in Martinook or Foegele's spot or as the first injury replacement on the defense. Bench Eddy and McGinn as the healthy extras. I also like Teravainen on the LW and Dzingel on the RW, specifically because it would be a way to set up and release one-timers (the most valuable aspect of Dzingel's game is his shot).

Last edited:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I've seen multiple articles from rangers blogs in my recommended links bs about how the canes are clearly terrified of the rangers and how they're totally going to waltz right through. F em

Reactions: cptjeff and mm11

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Meh. I think we have a fine chance even if it's the matchup we hate the most. They've played well against us, and they have a few players that are very scary. But overall, I think we're better, so we'll have a good chance.

They have maybe a couple good lines. Their depth on D isn't scary. On the back end they regularly run out Staal and Smith. Up front, they seem to be rolling out losers like McKegg and DiGiuseppe. Shesty seems great, but he's played like 12 NHL games. Kinda reminds me of some versions of us a few years ago that went on a run towards the end of the season, but wasn't quite there yet.

Doesn't mean we won't lose to them. But I don't think it's any kind of forgone conclusion even with past results. Especially when you throw in the craziness of the scenario. Hopefully getting a couple guys healthy and a couple of new additions getting time to acclimate in camp will help us too.

Let's hope the unsustainable momentum that Zibanejad had cooled down a bit, we can contain Panarin as much as that's possible, and figure out Shesterkin.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Meh. I think we have a fine chance even if it's the matchup we hate the most. They've played well against us, and they have a few players that are very scary. But overall, I think we're better, so we'll have a good chance.

They have maybe a couple good lines. Their depth on D isn't scary. On the back end they regularly run out Staal and Smith. Up front, they seem to be rolling out losers like McKegg and DiGiuseppe. Shesty seems great, but he's played like 12 NHL games. Kinda reminds me of some versions of us a few years ago that went on a run towards the end of the season, but wasn't quite there yet.

Doesn't mean we won't lose to them. But I don't think it's any kind of forgone conclusion even with past results. Especially when you throw in the craziness of the scenario. Hopefully getting a couple guys healthy and a couple of new additions getting time to acclimate in camp will help us too.

Let's hope the unsustainable momentum that Zibanejad had cooled down a bit, we can contain Panarin as much as that's possible, and figure out Shesterkin.

Rangers are really top-heavy and have some god-awful possession metrics as a team. Part of that is probably due to the system that they play, however, Fox, Panarin, Buchnevich, and Zibanejad are the only major players with an even-strength Corsi over 50%. To give you an idea of how bad that is, our worst player in terms of even-strength Corsi, Joel Edmundson, has a 5-on-5 Corsi of 51%, just a little bit less than Fox, the Rangers' best Corsi guy. I'm not saying that they're a walkover, because their goaltending is really that good as an overall unit, but they're not unbeatable if the Canes can put all of their defensive stalwarts on those 4 players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad