Player Discussion NYR Training camp 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The bye week is something which the NHL and NHLPA agreed on last season. The season is one week shorter because of the World Cup and add the bye week. Teams are playing 82 games in a season with essentially two less weeks. We discussed this in the roster thread last week. Lundqvist will play less games and more Raanta. If the Rangers are fighting for a playoff spot,will Lundqvist play just 50-58 games? It's good for Lundqvist to be fresher for the playoffs but they need to qualify for the playoffs. Do you trust Raanta to play 24 to 32 games?

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
The bye week is something which the NHL and NHLPA agreed on last season. The season is one week shorter because of the World Cup and add the bye week. Teams are playing 82 games in a season with essentially two less weeks. We discussed this in the roster thread last week. Lundqvist will play less games and more Raanta. If the Rangers are fighting for a playoff spot,will Lundqvist play just 50-58 games? It's good for Lundqvist to be fresher for the playoffs but they need to qualify for the playoffs. Do you trust Raanta to play 24 to 32 games?

Thank you for the clarification. I trust Raanta as long as you're smart about what games he's playing.

Edit: Thanks to McDonut and Irish to, did not see your responses yesterday.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Absolutely no chance barring either injury or the Rangers somehow running away with the division that Hank plays 50-58 games.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
I think that short experience in the playoffs will go a long way for Skjei for this season.

We'll see what happens, but with both Skjei and McIlrath's growth last season and the offseason to digest it all and work on areas. I think they could be one heck of a pair on defense for the Rangers. But a lot of unknowns, who wins spots and if the chemistry is there. Time will tell.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Ah, such a shame that the season is starting. Feel like some of these off-season conversations about how stats can be applied to player evaluation were really getting very friendly and helpful :)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Skjei also played 8 weeks of pro hockey at the end of 2014-15. Hartford lost in the conference finals. Skjei's ability to play both sides is huge. TJ Brodie. Niklas Hjalmarsson. Lefties who play the right side.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
One of the keys to the season. The Rangers need Brady Skjei to become a key player on D.

agree completely.

he's the youngest dman who can impact the team this year in a positive way. he does exactly what the rest of the aged, tired, worn out dmen cant do anymore.

he skates really well
he can play uptempo defense
he can play either side-( and this is big) played 7 out of 10 games in the worlds on the right. played there in hartford as well as last season for us.

http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/article/back-home-skjei-reflects-and-looks-ahead?cmpid=nyr-soc-tw

with this defense looking so much like last years defense, minus last years best offensive dmen, brady skjei will need to play well and play well alot. hell play because he can play the right side where mcilrath cant play the left. he's been groomed to play the right and that quote tells you he's been told to get ready to do just that.

i expect him to start on the 2nd pair along side marc staal and get a ton of pk as well. in fact, the bulk of the minutes will go to these 4

mcd/klein
staal/skjei

holden/girardi will be the 3rd pair with mcilrath rotated in and out.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Skjei also played 8 weeks of pro hockey at the end of 2014-15. Hartford lost in the conference finals. Skjei's ability to play both sides is huge. TJ Brodie. Niklas Hjalmarsson. Lefties who play the right side.

Question RE: Hjalmarsson and Brodie. Did they start their careers playing their offside? Or was that move done after they established themselves on their strong side.

Ideally, I think it would be best for Skjei to start on his strong side. But the needs of the team might make that impossible.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

I think he's playing the rd top 4 real soon . Put girardi 3rd pair and pk to block shots

McD , skjei
Staal , Klein
Holden , girardi
Mcilrath

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'll admit I have no idea how well Skjei will play on the right, but I just don't like the idea. If he flourishes on that side I am wrong and I can live with that as it would not be the first time.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I still have major concerns about Skjei playing the right-side in the NHL. Let Holden do that.

Can't find the Burrows hit (was it Burrows?)

Game is too fast. Let him acclimate to the NHL speed on the left-side full-time this season. There's no need to push him to the right side when we have Holden who can do that.

What it will be:

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Klein
Skjei - Holden
McIlrath

What it should be:

McDonagh - Klein
Staal - McIlrath
Skjei - Holden
Girardi

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The side you play isn't going to protect you from cheap shots.

It can certainly hurt you. D-men playing their off-side are quite often blind to the play around them and reliant on their partner. If you're not comfortable at the NHL speed or fully aware, you can get hurt easily on your off-side.

I know you know this, but if you're a lefty playing right-side D, and the puck gets pushed into your corner, not only is your back turned, but if you want to push the play up the ice (rather than wheel around your net), you need to go backhand to forehand, pivot to face the play, look up, make a decision, and play the puck.

That extra step, backhand to forehand, could be half a second, which is the difference between being hit, and not being hit. And, if you're hit while you've got your back turned to the play, you're not braced for it, because you never saw it coming. And this isn't just specific to a guy boarding someone else with a cheap shot, it can be a guy coming down your boards that hits you shoulder to shoulder and puts you in a bad way because you had to take that extra moment to put the puck on your forehand.

Why rush Skjei to play right-side in the top4, and bring down his partners (L-L [and R-R] pairs do not perform as well as L-R), instead of just letting him ease into the game on the third-pairing? Can give him heavy o-zone starts against weaker competition with good teammates.

O-zone faceoff? Zuccarello line with Skjei pairing.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia

This. Just cause you are a RD dosent mean you wont be on the left side of the ice in your defensive zone or any zone for that matter. Probably not as likely but it happens

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Well, no, but a LH defenseman playing the right side is more prone to them. To play the puck anywhere on that half of the ice, he has to turn his body and back to the play.

Hjarmalsson is probably the best LHD who plays the right side in the NHL and I swear he gets demolished every single game. He also has the benefit of his partner being Duncan Keith, so Hjar can just chip the puck over to that side of the ice because Keith will be able to make a play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad