Player Discussion NYR Training camp 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I love how short people's memories are. AV isn't going to give Glass a spot on this roster just because. That's why he ended up in Hartford last season. If the players who are supposed to be better than him actually play better than him, then Glass won't be here.

still think he could get traded, Cap floor teams like guys whose Cap Hit is greater than their actual salary this year

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I love how short people's memories are. AV isn't going to give Glass a spot on this roster just because. That's why he ended up in Hartford last season. If the players who are supposed to be better than him actually play better than him, then Glass won't be here.

This couldn't be more hilariously wrong. Sure, Glass was sent down to Hartford, but he got recalled over more deserving players despite being one of the Pack's worst forwards in a not exactly small sample of games.

AV absolutely plays favorites, and Glass is his friggin pet.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The game is getting too fast, too possession driven for a guy like Glass to have a roster spot just because.

The Rangers brought in a lot of speed and talent that can drive possession, even on the lower lines. Its not as if Gorton made all these moves without consulting staff and AV. Theres a plan in place.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK

AV was painfully sore in the buttocks at the end of camp when McIlrath played well enough to have made the team and displace his body pillow to Hartford.Remember his body pillow missed what,1 game after his recall?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This couldn't be more hilariously wrong. Sure, Glass was sent down to Hartford, but he got recalled over more deserving players despite being one of the Pack's worst forwards in a not exactly small sample of games.

AV absolutely plays favorites, and Glass is his friggin pet.

Every coach plays favorites, but I'm sorry. There was no one on Hartford who was either worth calling up or wasn't better off staying in Hartford (like Tambellini). Sorry if I'm not impressed by the likes of Chad Nehring or Luke Adam. Jayson Megna played okay for a few games and then went right back to looking like the AAAA player he is. The team had injuries and illnesses and was struggling with execution on the things the coach was asking them to do. Their depth players were playing particularly poorly.

This shouldn't be an issue this year. Even if Grabner falters, we have Gerbe. Even if both of them falter, we have Hrivik and Jensen. There's waaaay more depth around this year compared to last.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
AV was painfully sore in the buttocks at the end of camp when McIlrath played well enough to have made the team and displace his body pillow to Hartford.Remember his body pillow missed what,1 game after his recall?

Not sure I agree. Mcllrath was making the team no matter what or he would have gone exposed to waiver to go to Hartford. Had very little to do with his play.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
still think he could get traded, Cap floor teams like guys whose Cap Hit is greater than their actual salary this year

All of the cap floor teams are over the cap floor, so none of them are trading for Glass unless there's more actual salary going the other way.

Maybe trade him to Anaheim for Nate Thompson. Thompson's cap hit is only 150k higher than Glass's cap hit, so we can easily fit him. Only 1 year left, same as Glass. But Glass will make 700k less. Maybe Anaheim adds a 4th or 5th rounder?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Every coach plays favorites, but I'm sorry. There was no one on Hartford who was either worth calling up or wasn't better off staying in Hartford (like Tambellini). Sorry if I'm not impressed by the likes of Chad Nehring or Luke Adam. Jayson Megna played okay for a few games and then went right back to looking like the AAAA player he is. The team had injuries and illnesses and was struggling with execution on the things the coach was asking them to do. Their depth players were playing particularly poorly.

This shouldn't be an issue this year. Even if Grabner falters, we have Gerbe. Even if both of them falter, we have Hrivik and Jensen. There's waaaay more depth around this year compared to last.

Glass played 17 games for Hartford before getting recalled. His stat line? 2G-3A-5P and -11. Nobody else even came close to that bad a +/- rating over the length of a full season with the Pack, a non-playoff team.

And I'm sorry if you're not impressed with them, but Nehring, Adam, Megna, Hrivik, Bourque, and Gibbons were all better forward call up options than Glass. The much reviled Dan Paille scored at a better rate and was a plus player for the Pack.

In no reality did Tanner Glass earn a recall last season.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
Not sure I agree. Mcllrath was making the team no matter what or he would have gone exposed to waiver to go to Hartford. Had very little to do with his play.

Vigneault still had buttock soreness over the fact his paramour had to go the Hartford instead of the guy the organization had invested five years in developing at that point.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
According to Leslie on Twitter, it looks like AV might be speaking around 2:30pm

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
All of the cap floor teams are over the cap floor, so none of them are trading for Glass unless there's more actual salary going the other way.

Maybe trade him to Anaheim for Nate Thompson. Thompson's cap hit is only 150k higher than Glass's cap hit, so we can easily fit him. Only 1 year left, same as Glass. But Glass will make 700k less. Maybe Anaheim adds a 4th or 5th rounder?

That's an awesome idea actually. Same as the Zib trade--send a guy with a lower salary to help a budget team out, and get a low draft pick out of it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Glass played 17 games for Hartford before getting recalled. His stat line? 2G-3A-5P and -11. Nobody else even came close to that bad a +/- rating over the length of a full season with the Pack, a non-playoff team.

And I'm sorry if you're not impressed with them, but Nehring, Adam, Megna, Hrivik, Bourque, and Gibbons were all better forward call up options than Glass. The much reviled Dan Paille scored at a better rate and was a plus player for the Pack.

In no reality did Tanner Glass earn a recall last season.

Well, context matters. First of all, he was recalled for a game against the Islanders in which Etem was sick. Stepan was hurt and the Rangers weren't carrying spare forwards at that point. I don't care how they were playing in the minors, if anything has been proven, it's that Nehring, Adam, Megna, Gibbons, and Bourque aren't NHL players. So if they're not, and you don't think Glass is either, why should they have a leg up over him?

It's not always about earning a recall via short term play on the ice. Coaches do play favorites and Glass is a player AV trusts to execute what is asked of him. Glass, in his career, earned that recall.

I seem to remember that Hrivik was hurt at the time, by the way. Or maybe that was a different time. Either way, I suppose that one is arguable.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Glass made the team last year, he was not waived until Oct 20th.

Once recalled the only scratch I can remember was in the elimination game although there may have been one or two prior.

If a coach really believes a player is giving the team it's best chance to win, why does that player get scratched in an elimination game?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... Nehring, Adam, Megna, Hrivik, Bourque, and Gibbons were all better forward call up options than Glass..

Nehring was never a call-up option, AHL contract
Same this year with F's Oksanen, Joly, McRae, Carey

which leaves only a few guys with at least more than a season of pro experience - Hrivik, Jensen, Brown and whoever else we get through waivers (Gerbe? Glass? Pirri/Jooris/Grabner ?)

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Well, context matters. First of all, he was recalled for a game against the Islanders in which Etem was sick. Stepan was hurt and the Rangers weren't carrying spare forwards at that point. I don't care how they were playing in the minors, if anything has been proven, it's that Nehring, Adam, Megna, Gibbons, and Bourque aren't NHL players. So if they're not, and you don't think Glass is either, why should they have a leg up over him?

It's not always about earning a recall via short term play on the ice. Coaches do play favorites and Glass is a player AV trusts to execute what is asked of him. Glass, in his career, earned that recall.

I seem to remember that Hrivik was hurt at the time, by the way. Or maybe that was a different time. Either way, I suppose that one is arguable.

The problem is that any stat regarding Glass shows that he *is not an NHL player*, and that's what gets people.

I'm not saying Luke Adam will be an NHL player (he probably won't), but you have a chance to have a young guy try to crack the NHL, versus a "proven" veteran hockey player who actually sucks at hockey.

What's the point of playing the latter? I know the answer is "well the coach knows what he's getting out of him", but if that's the case, you have to now argue the fact that AV is finding "quality" in a commodity that's actually horrible.

It's like buying copper instead of gold because current gold value is tanking. Sure, the copper is a known commodity, and might always have a demand, but you'll never get more than what you see it for now. Gold has a chance of rebounding to several times what the copper is currently worth.

Note: Glass is the Copper, Any other NHLer is the Gold

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The problem is that any stat regarding Glass shows that he *is not an NHL player*, and that's what gets people.

I'm not saying Luke Adam will be an NHL player (he probably won't), but you have a chance to have a young guy try to crack the NHL, versus a "proven" veteran hockey player who actually sucks at hockey.

What's the point of playing the latter? I know the answer is "well the coach knows what he's getting out of him", but if that's the case, you have to now argue the fact that AV is finding "quality" in a commodity that's actually horrible.

It's like buying copper instead of gold because current gold value is tanking. Sure, the copper is a known commodity, and might always have a demand, but you'll never get more than what you see it for now. Gold has a chance of rebounding to several times what the copper is currently worth.

There are plenty of people who invest in both for exactly the reasons you laid out. Hell, my 401k is split between a conservative long term fund and a higher potential fund. And I keep moving gains from the higher potential fund into the conservative one.

When your team is struggling in the manner which the Rangers struggled last year, the reliability of the known player takes on more importance.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

There are plenty of people who invest in both for exactly the reasons you laid out. Hell, my 401k is split between a conservative long term fund and a higher potential fund. And I keep moving gains from the higher potential fund into the conservative one.

When your team is struggling in the manner which the Rangers struggled last year, the reliability of the known player takes on more importance.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If he doesn't get waived or traded I will eat my shorts

It's a lock this year given all the bodies unless like 3 go down with injury

Yeah, I agree with you for sure - I don`t use him in my line combo suggestion. :)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Glass made the team last year, he was not waived until Oct 20th.

Once recalled the only scratch I can remember was in the elimination game although there may have been one or two prior.

If a coach really believes a player is giving the team it's best chance to win, why does that player get scratched in an elimination game?

Glass sort of made the team. They had 14 forwards on the roster to start the year. 7 games before he was waived and he was scratched for 5 of them. That's not making the team so much as extending training camp to make a decision. Fast struggled to start the year, too. Etem beat Glass out to stay of the roster.

Then of course, Etem proceeded to play himself off the team. Finally got taken out of the lineup because of illness and, when the team didn't miss him in the slightest, got dealt away. Glass never got taken out after that, since the one guy ahead of him on the depth chart was gone.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The only reason I think they might keep Glass around this year as a spare forward is they have the cap space to do so, whereas previous seasons they were right up against it and had to juggle players. And Glass is still "the only guy who brings that grit" which is dumb and useless in the role he plays but I wouldn't be shocked if they keep him on because of it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The only reason I think they might keep Glass around this year as a spare forward is they have the cap space to do so, whereas previous seasons they were right up against it and had to juggle players. And Glass is still "the only guy who brings that grit" which is dumb and useless in the role he plays but I wouldn't be shocked if they keep him on because of it.

I'd like to think that Sather believed the same thing as AV regarding toffness. Gorton seems to be taking a different approach--speed and puck possession based game that requires soft hands and fast bodies.

Glass lacks both of those components.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Glass sort of made the team. They had 14 forwards on the roster to start the year. 7 games before he was waived and he was scratched for 5 of them. That's not making the team so much as extending training camp to make a decision. Fast struggled to start the year, too. Etem beat Glass out to stay of the roster.

Then of course, Etem proceeded to play himself off the team. Finally got taken out of the lineup because of illness and, when the team didn't miss him in the slightest, got dealt away. Glass never got taken out after that, since the one guy ahead of him on the depth chart was gone.

First off why go into the season by giving Glass an extending training camp while only having ~50K in cap space and accumulating next to none daily?

Secondly if he was going to be scratched 5 of 7 what was the point?

Thirdly why does Glass get that privilege and not Hvirik or any number of other players?

Regardless of those answers, it still does not answer my question, If a coach feels a player is giving his team the best chance to win, why is he scratched in an elimination game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland