Confirmed with Link: [NYR/LA] Lias Andersson for 60th overall 2020

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I kinda like the incident where he tosses the silver medal over the boards. No doubt it is immature, and I do not condone that practice, but it shows something else about his character--he really cares about winning. Sort of like Doughty going crazy when things go wrong and we rag on him for that, but we also value how competitive Doughty is. I would rather have an immature sore loser who cares about winning, than some passive player going through the motions just to get a paycheck.

Brown can teach him. Lean over, look at the camera, touch the table but don't touch the trophy...after the flash goes off, shake the man's hand and leave the trophy on the table.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
What we won't know for a while is if the Kings are going to honor the Rangers agreement with HV71, that Andersson would play the entire season in the SHL this year. Hoven hinted that this was in the cards, but left the door open a bit. I think we'd all like him to play here this year, but it could be important for him to get his confidence back and excel on the first line on his team.

"While anything could change once there is a more clear path to an NHL start date, the original plan called for him to remain in Sweden when he was assigned there by the New York Rangers. It’s believed the Kings will follow a similar course and look to bring him over next summer. Only time will tell."

hoping Lias is at camp...seems to be what they are hoping, via what Blake texted to Lisa Dillman:

The biggest change here was the addition of Andersson, who is currently playing in Sweden with HV71 in the SHL. It might be a good place for the entire season, but Blake said in a text message to The Athletic that the hope is to get Andersson, who was the seventh pick in 2017, in town for training camp. (Lisa Dillman)

Reactions: Telos

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Next to Byfield, Andersson is the prospect I am most excited about on the depth chart right now. This training camp is going to be huge for him. Can't wait.
He definitely has big upside still and could easily end up taking Browns top 6 minutes in a year or two.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This kid lives in the high traffic areas which is awesome and something the Kings lack. He is fearless and plays with some grit....starting to get excited about this deal.

It's going to be awesome watching him not have to shoulder savior expectations or be 'the guy.' having the background of leadership fits in great and maybe when he gains some confidence he'll assume that mantle again, but right now he definitely fills a prospect need for us, and now it's just get out there and play, kid. I LOVE that he does everything within 5 feet of the net since we have so many other skilled dudes to carry the puck. Sort of a Swedish Ryan Smyth.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It's just a good sign that he is excelling in the SHL. Obviously it would be way more problematic had he gone back home and continued his struggles. I guess if he was then the Kings wouldn't have traded for him.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
It's just a good sign that he is excelling in the SHL. Obviously it would be way more problematic had he gone back home and continued his struggles. I guess if he was then the Kings wouldn't have traded for him.
Or it would have been a 4th or 5th round pick instead of a 2nd to get him.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
wonder what his contract will be like
It will all depend how he performs this year. If he doesn’t nail down a spot in the lineup, he might get something close to his ELC - $800-900k. If he wows us this year, maybe 2yr/$1.5AAV? But that’s just my guess. I could be way off.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Remember that time when Lombardi was discussing us, the Kings, how important it was to him to have players who take personal responsibility for winning games?

On another note, since we like to troll everyone else who is a sort of competitor of ours, cmon you know it's true, you know if we develop this guy into a decent everyday player and one who is just a notch more valuable in playoff situations, we're going to be able to laugh at the NYR fanbase. Not that we can't do that already but why let up? :)

Reactions: RocketKing

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
What we won't know for a while is if the Kings are going to honor the Rangers agreement with HV71, that Andersson would play the entire season in the SHL this year. Hoven hinted that this was in the cards, but left the door open a bit. I think we'd all like him to play here this year, but it could be important for him to get his confidence back and excel on the first line on his team.

"While anything could change once there is a more clear path to an NHL start date, the original plan called for him to remain in Sweden when he was assigned there by the New York Rangers. It’s believed the Kings will follow a similar course and look to bring him over next summer. Only time will tell."
When does his contract end? I thought he was in his last year. Why trade for a guy that is going to be a UFA before you see him play?
I think they have to keep him close Ontario if not LA.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
When does his contract end? I thought he was in his last year. Why trade for a guy that is going to be a UFA before you see him play?
I think they have to keep him close Ontario if not LA.

He will be an RFA. On top of that, his dad is a Kings scout and the Kings just gave him a “second chance”, so to speak. Unless the Kings choose to move on for some reason, he has practically no choice but to re-sign with LA.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Rangers fan coming in peace re: Andersson. Looking to add to some information that is here, and dispel some comments that aren't quite accurate.

Lias is an interesting prospect and his rise and fall within the Rangers is a bit of a strange tale.

Contrary to an earlier comment, Andersson was never seen as the savior of the franchise --- not even close. In fact, his selection was always somewhat controversial for the fanbase.

He was arguably not the Rangers' top choice heading into that draft. The apple of the team's eye was Pettersson, who was the guy they targeted and hoped would be on the board at the 7 spot when they connected on a trade with Arizona. Their second choice for that spot was Glass. The hope was that Vancouver preferred Mittelstadt at the 5th spot. Obviously that wasn't the case.

The selection of Andersson wasn't a universal decision even within the organization. Vilardi and Necas were candidates, but the main discussion centered on taking Suzuki with the 7th pick. It was a reasonably close call for the Rangers, with the argument for Andersson (based on the strong recommendation of a retiring scout) eventually winning out.

Andersson was seen as a bit of a safer pick so the Rangers could gamble a little on taking Chytil 14 picks later. The belief internally was that Andersson could grow into someone in the O'Reilly/Horvat mold --- he was seen as more of a second line type, with a third line floor.

For whatever reason, things never quite got off to a great start. A lot of pundits belived Andersson was a kid who could step immediately, if not sooner. To some extent, the Rangers shared this view.

Fast forward to the Traverse City Tournament and Andersson's performance was...somewhat disappointing. He didn't play bad, but he didn't stand out against his peers either. There was feedback that he seemed slow, but it was chalked up to fatigue from a crazy schedule over the preceeding season.

He heads back to the SHL and has an incredibly good start to his D+1 season over there. That success continues in the AHL and eventually the NHL that season. But it's somewhat overshadowed by the play of fellow first round pick Filip Chytil --- who starts to edge him a bit on the team's depth chart.

There's the incident with him throwing the silver medal into the stands which is somewhat divisive among fans. Some like the passion, others find it to be disrespectful. But hopes are still high for the kid, so most is forgiven. But it definitely throws up a warning sign for some.

It's during his D+2 season that things start to go off the rails a little bit. His preseason is once again underwhelming and he finds himself beat out by two other rookies --- his draftmate Chytil and recent acquisition Brett Howden.

Andersson goes back to the AHL, but his performance is a bit more uneven than we saw the season prior. He eventually gets recalled, but he doesn't really stand out as a kid who went 7th overall. For some fans, this is really the start of where they turn on him a bit.

It's also where it becomes evident that he's not as "NHL-ready" as some might have initially believed. His two main challenges are his skating at the NHL level, and his ability to keep up with the play mentally.

Fast forward to the start of last season and Andersson arrives with a spring in his step and makes the team. His performance is improved, but also doesn't terribly stand out either. Unfortunately, he quickly finds himself getting less ice time and eventually heads down to Hartford.

His play there is fairly uninspired and it's quickly looking like something is amiss. He ends up going home, strangeness ensues, and we arrive at a point where there's simply no reconciliation --- at least on his end.

There's definitely an NHL player lurking in there --- the question is what kind of player. His skating and ability to process the North American pro game has been an obstacle to this point. He's not fast enough to or skilled enough to serve in a top six role thus far, but he hasn't fully dedicated himself to playing a middle six or fourth line role either.

Some of the venom directed at him by Ranger fans is not fair. But some of it is --- and Andersson has done a weird job of alienating people in and around the team. Even people who are widely respected and who tried to serve as a bridge for him.

At this point, I think you're probably not looking at a second line center in Horvat mold. But you could be looking at someone who has a similar career arch to Mike Ricci --- similar size, similar skating, former high pick, etc.

He needs a fresh start, but he also has a lot of work to do with both his game, and his mental approach. It's a fair gamble for LA --- afterall, you guys didn't draft him 7th overall. But I would set somewhat reasonable expectations for him.

The challenge hasn't been performing internationally, the challenge has been performing consistently against bigger, faster, and frankly better competition in North America. He's going to have to keep his feet moving and think ahead of the play if he wants to survive.

Last edited:

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
At this point, I think you're probably not looking at a second line center in Horvat mold. But you could be looking at someone who has a similar career arch to Mike Ricci --- similar size, similar skating, former high pick, etc.

Hmmm Mike Ricci - I don't know. Ricci was a really good and effective player. I'm happy if Lias Anderson turns out to be next Samuel Påhlsson, who was not a greatest skater and a pretty modest scorer, but very useful player defensively. And especially Påhlsson was a better playoffs player than regular season player.

Reactions: David Lunch

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hmmm Mike Ricci - I don't know. Ricci was a really good and effective player. I'm happy if Lias Anderson turns out to be next Samuel Påhlsson, who was not a greatest skater and a pretty modest scorer, but very useful player defensively. And especially Påhlsson was a better playoffs player than regular season player.

I would use Ricci as more of the "everything falls into place, Kings get maximum value" type scenario. But let's even say it's more a of "Poor Man's Ricci", that's still good player to have.

As stated, skating and other things will be something to keep an eye on, but it's a reasonable price for the Kings.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's much, much nicer to think about this guy as a 3rd rounder than as 7th OA.

I know that doesn't paint the whole picture but it's a good asset grab by Blake. Wonder how high they would have taken him. Very glad we got Vilardi there instead.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Idk, I keep seeing a very young Dustin Brown without the crazy open ice hits in Lias Andersson.
4lufa0.jpg

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Hes biggest attribute is that he plays a net front presence style of game. We dont have any other prospects that spend as much time infront of the net as him so a diversity in attacking styles is a big plus

That's true...and I think the bottom 6 (I see Lias as 3rd line LW or C) has lacked a player that has both 60 grade sandpaper + skill in like forever. The bottom 6 players either
had 1 or the other - or neither!! Futa called him 'nasty'

I would love to see the all Sweden line:

Kempe Andersson Grundstrom

or

Fagemo Andersson Grundstrom

Grundstrom is off to a great start in SHL. (higher points per game than Fagemo and Andersson, btw) Putting up great numbers. Recall when Grundstrom had goals in each of his first 2 games? (pretty sure..or 2 in 3 games)
He was playing with Kempe. They had pretty good chemistry. Then they changed the other winger, I think...then Carl had a bad shift or 2 and never again got a great chance
with consistent limemates. (and yet may have been the best player with the Reign - except when Vilardi played again) Give Carl a real shot and with Kempe and Andersson,
Please!

2020-21
1.png
IF Björklöven
HockeyAllsvenskan10268124
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad