Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jack Johnson signs with the Rangers (1 year, $1.15M)

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Three of those guys are right handed. They won't be in front of JJ; they'll be next to him.

The Rangers did not just pay Johnson over $1M per year to healthy scratch him for more than half their games. I can assure you that is absolutely not their intention and barring an injury or an absolute miracle, he WILL play in far more than half of the Rangers' games next season.
$1M is barely above league minimum. It’s not some huge amount that means a guy has to play.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It is amazing how many seemingly smart hockey organizations keep giving Jack Johnson money to play hockey.

I'm happy for him. Nobody deserves to make money more than him given the hell he went through financially with his own parents.

But I mean... if you want to pay Jack Johnson for something, can't you make him a scout or something?
To be fair $1M is basically free for the Rangers.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I dont really know what to say to that besides if Gorton actually got JJ as a regular to play 18-19 minutes a night he/his scouting team needs to start watching JJ from 2020 not old highlights from 2014(still struggled but not what he is now lol). I've liked Gorton as a GM so far but JJ should be this teams vet presence/coaching figure more than a player this year. 12-13 mins a game for less than 50% of games played. If they overplay him hell understandably deliver horrible results considering hes nearly done being profession hockey player.

When is the last time a team gave a defenseman over $1M and then intentionally played them 12-13 minutes per game for less than 50% of games played?

$1M is barely above league minimum. It’s not some huge amount that means a guy has to play.

When is the last time a team gave a defenseman over $1M and then intentionally played them 12-13 minutes per game for less than 50% of games played?

Nice, I’ll try to keep this in mind while I enjoy the shit out of the next decade.

It would be a lot more enjoyable if you had a good GM to complement being a premier UFA destination with insane lottery luck.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Why do people hate Jack Johnson so much? Is there something I’m missing?

I don't think anyone 'hates' him. He's a really bad player. People don't like it when their team signs really bad players. That said, everyone is sympathetic to his monetary situation and everyone seems to be happy he got paid, at least non-Ranger fans.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I actually agree with Jim Bob Rooster here. Johnson wasn't signed to make him a healthy scratch. He'll play on the 3rd pairing/PK. Maybe not 19/20 minutes a game but at least 17 minutes a game or so. If he is serviceable he'll get another short term contract. If he sucks, he's gone. Low risk in my opinion. Put it this way, I like this a lot better than the Schultz signing. That's dog's breakfast right there.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Drafts Lanfreniere, signs Jack Johnson

tenor.png

pengineer

Dec 8, 2010
Why do people hate Jack Johnson so much? Is there something I’m missing?

From a Penguin's fan's point of view it was the contract Rutherford gave him. The length and the cap hit were just too much and he wasn't a good fit for them.

As a person I wish him all the best. If he turns it around and plays till he's 38 that would be great.

Reactions: RickChartraw

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Only 1 man can derail their rebuild.

He's being sent as a double agent. Jim Rutherford is out here playing 4D chess.

Derail? Or embolden it with another top 10 pick in a center heavy draft next year?

Mu wa hahahaha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad