Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jack Johnson signs with the Rangers (1 year, $1.15M)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That really hasn’t changed with this signing.
Thats true but I’d rather have some vet who’s not in our long term plans getting murdered every night rather than have to call up a prospect who isn’t ready for the NHL out of shear desperation.

Reactions: xlm34

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I feel like Jack Johnson has somehow collected incriminating evidence on every GM in the league.

It truly boggles the mind that he is able to regularly fetch contracts as if he is even mediocre as a professional hockey player

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
“By 2016, Johnson had come to an agreement with almost all of his creditors and agreed to liquidate two homes and a luxury car and would only keep $246,000 each of the next two seasons, making him the "lowest-paid player in the NHL for the next two seasons."”

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Good for him earning more money.

because he is wellllllll below replacement level at this point. And surprised someone gave him a shot when he probably shouldn’t be in the league

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Our left side is so bad. I didn't think it could actually get worse, but Johnson may be worse than Staal. No way this team can contend with that group of left sided defenseman. I don't know what the Rangers think the solution is other than asking the goalie to stop 40 shots every game.

People say things like if Johnson is bad he'll be in the minors. Why would anyone think the options in the minors are better? Libor Hajek is a younger version of Johnson. Miller was bad in college hockey, and people think he'll be an NHL'er this year? Rykov, our only quality NHL ready D prospect, has run back to Russia because the Rangers preferred bad players to him. Reunanen probably won't be much of an upgrade immediately. The Rangers needed to improve the defense enough that Brendan Smith became the 7th defenseman, not the 5th defenseman. We are going in the wrong direction, and we gave up a second round pick to get rid of Staal, who really isn't any worse than Johnson.

I haven't liked the moves the Rangers have made since Davidson has come in. I wasn't a huge fan of Gorton to begin with, but he at least went for skill, good analytics, skating. Davidson seems to want to add a lot of grit, toughness, intangibles. We had a whole draft where we only took North American or Swedish players this year. I don't think it's a coincidence. This management has lucked into a lot of the success they've had. I'm not convinced they are good at doing their job.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I said this a week or two ago but it's even more relevant today:

Jeff Gorton is the most overrated GM in the league because it's difficult to separate his performance from external factors like lottery luck and player dream destinations. Most of his moves have been bad in isolation.

Between this and the Bitetto signing...woof.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad