Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jack Johnson signs with the Rangers (1 year, $1.15M)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I mean as a 7/8 D at 1M how much of a negative impact could he possible have?

Hell play some games, provide hits and grit. Make some boneheaded passes and bad positioning but will also be a voice of leadership for the rangers younger defenders and players. At 1M can almost fully bury him to the AHL. As long as he isnt a regular out of need hes a fine add. Play him 30-40 games in the year and hell provide some value

I think takes like these on signings like this one are the worst. The Rangers obviously signed Johnson with the intention of making him a regular who plays more than 37-49% of his team's games. They obviously did not sign him as a 7/8D.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Rangers make that in concession.

$11.50 for a bottle of Coors

8542j60b7qmz.jpg

Reactions: Deen

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think takes like these on signings like this one are the worst. The Rangers obviously signed Johnson with the intention of making him a regular who plays more than 37-49% of his team's games. They obviously did not sign him as a 7/8D.
Rangers have

Trouba
DeAngelo
Fox
Lindgren

Easily in front of JJ on their roster

The rangers will prioritize giving minutes to younger players like lunqvist (if he comes over), K'andre miller, hajek over JJ. JJ wont be playing major minutes as a regular with the young defenders the rangers have trying to break onto the team.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Rangers have

Trouba
DeAngelo
Fox
Lindgren

The rangers will prioritize giving minutes to younger players like lunqvist (if he comes over), K'andre miller, hajek over JJ. JJ wont be playing major minutes as a regular with the young defenders the rangers have trying to break onto the team.
He will be on the top pairing

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Rangers have

Trouba
DeAngelo
Fox
Lindgren

Yes but but we have to get Exp draft compliant via someone

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Rangers have

Trouba
DeAngelo
Fox
Lindgren

Three of those guys are right handed. They won't be in front of JJ; they'll be next to him.

The Rangers did not just pay Johnson over $1M per year to healthy scratch him for more than half their games. I can assure you that is absolutely not their intention and barring an injury or an absolute miracle, he WILL play in far more than half of the Rangers' games next season.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Rangers have

Trouba
DeAngelo
Fox
Lindgren

Rangers prioritize younger players? Lmao their idiot GM did the same crap with Girardi. Bought him out and had McQuaid take his spot so Tony DeAngelo could watch from the press box half the year. Traded Stepan and had Desharnais take his spot. Traded Skjei and made Brendan Smith take his spot. He is the new Petey. Bettman knows which is why he gifted Rangers Laf and Kak

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I’m assuming Jacques Martin was involved in this. However if Martin can help the Rangers play even slightly better defensively I’m cool with throwing this guy a bone to be cannon fodder for a year.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Three of those guys are right handed. They won't be in front of JJ; they'll be next to him.

The Rangers did not just pay Johnson over $1M per year to healthy scratch him for more than half their games. I can assure you that is absolutely not their intention and barring an injury or an absolute miracle, he WILL play in far more than half of the Rangers' games next season.
I dont really know what to say to that besides if Gorton actually got JJ as a regular to play 18-19 minutes a night he/his scouting team needs to start watching JJ from 2020 not old highlights from 2014(still struggled but not what he is now lol). I've liked Gorton as a GM so far but JJ should be this teams vet presence/coaching figure more than a player this year. 12-13 mins a game for less than 50% of games played. If they overplay him hell understandably deliver horrible results considering hes nearly done being profession hockey player.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It is amazing how many seemingly smart hockey organizations keep giving Jack Johnson money to play hockey.

I'm happy for him. Nobody deserves to make money more than him given the hell he went through financially with his own parents.

But I mean... if you want to pay Jack Johnson for something, can't you make him a scout or something?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Rangers prioritize younger players? Lmao their idiot GM did the same crap with Girardi. Bought him out and had McQuaid take his spot so Tony DeAngelo could watch from the press box half the year. Traded Stepan and had Desharnais take his spot. Traded Skjei and made Brendan Smith take his spot. He is the new Petey. Bettman knows which is why he gifted Rangers Laf and Kak
This guy got rid of long term bad contracts and replaced those guys with warm bodies in the short term! That’s why the draft is rigged!

They played a ton of young players just last year. They had some record breaking amount of youth in most of the year. They absolutely prioritize playing kids of they’re ready snd even sometimes when they’re not, like Kakko last year.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
As much as I don't think he's a good signing at this point kinda happy to see him get one more NHL job at least. Didn't he get screwed out of millions by his parents ? Filed bankruptcy earlier in his career

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad