Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jack Johnson signs with the Rangers (1 year, $1.15M)

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I don’t understand how a coach like Jacques Martin who is known for defense can want to sign this guy?
Who says he's not still on the Penguins payroll? I always thought that a team could not win the cup with a flat out bad Dman in their lineup. When Pittsburgh signed JJ, I tried to convince myself otherwise, that maybe they could overcome him, but was unfortunately proven correct. Have fun.

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that this contract is not good enough to pay the bills his parents caused :( He is certainly going to play worth 1500000 dollars though.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I don’t understand how a coach like Jacques Martin who is known for defense can want to sign this guy?

I figure it's like nature. When predatory animals train their young to hunt, the provide a weak/wounded prey as a "practice" hunt. The Rangers don't want to just give roster spots to their LD prospects (Miller and co). They want them to seize those spots. But they also want them to be able to do that sooner rather than later. Easiest way is to put a wounded animal in their way, and they don't really come more "wounded animal" than JJ. If our kids can't grab a spot from him, we've got bigger problems than JJ being in the lineup.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
It's unlikely the Rangers make the playoff next year so he could become the first player if I'm not mistaken to play 1000 regular season game before winning a single playoff round since Olli Jokinen

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Three of those guys are right handed. They won't be in front of JJ; they'll be next to him.

The Rangers did not just pay Johnson over $1M per year to healthy scratch him for more than half their games. I can assure you that is absolutely not their intention and barring an injury or an absolute miracle, he WILL play in far more than half of the Rangers' games next season.

Two games into the season and Jack Johnson is in the lineup over a defenseman who scored 53 points in 68 games last season.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Two games into the season and Jack Johnson is in the lineup over a defenseman who scored 53 points in 68 games last season.
Admittedly, I haven't seen TDA much, but from what I've seen, Jack Johnson is in because he is better in the defensive end. Seems like the team is trying to send him a message...

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

Jack Johnson was already in the lineup. They were partners in game 1. DeAngelo took a bad undisciplined penalty and is sitting one game as punishment from the coach. It’s Brendan Smith who is dressing “over” him, since Johnson was already in the lineup.

But shockingly he played the third most minutes in the first game and has actually been PROMOTED to playing with Fox on basically our top pairing. It’s baffling.

I was also tickled to learn that out of 506 currently “active” NHL players, JMFJ ranks 501 in +/-. Not the most useful stat but it still gave me a laugh.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Whew!

I saw this thread get bumped up thought the Rangers had signed him to an extension. Lol.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
[QUOTE="Loki Dog 74, post: 175141722,

I was also tickled to learn that out of 506 currently “active” NHL players, JMFJ ranks 501 in +/-. Not the most useful stat but it still gave me a laugh.[/QUOTE]

Who the hell are the 5 worse players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad