Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jack Johnson signs with the Rangers (1 year, $1.15M)

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I hate the signing, but I doubt he sees much ice time without injuries.

Hopefully, Miller wins a spot right our of camp, Lindgren, and Smith.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
This guy got rid of long term bad contracts and replaced those guys with warm bodies in the short term! That’s why the draft is rigged!

They played a ton of young players just last year. They had some record breaking amount of youth in most of the year. They absolutely prioritize playing kids of they’re ready snd even sometimes when they’re not, like Kakko last year.
What bad long term contracts? Brendan Smith? Kevin Shattenkirk? Chris Kreider? He gave Skjei that terrible contract. Trouba?

Girardi’s contract would be off the books right now but the idiot thought Brendan Smith was an elite Dman. Shattenkirk and Trouba are making a combined 14 million against the cap because he’s terrible at cap management

I’m assuming the bad contracts were Girardi,Staal and Hank? I guess Sather should’ve punted 13/14 season and started rebuild. Perhaps if GM during 15/16 put Staal who had serious ankle issues that year and Girardi(cracked knee cap) on IR. It would’ve solved the issue people whined about how AV didn’t use Yandle or McIllrath correctly. Everyone knew our D was banged up that season but the genius thought adding a Centre solved the issue. Step,Brass and Hayes with Moore on the 4th... Kreider,Nash,Zuc and Miller in top 6 but AV was at fault for misusing a Centre out of position while he was having a crappy year.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What bad long term contracts? Brendan Smith? Kevin Shattenkirk? Chris Kreider? He gave Skjei that terrible contract. Trouba?

Girardi’s contract would be off the books right now but the idiot thought Brendan Smith was an elite Dman. Shattenkirk and Trouba are making a combined 14 million against the cap because he’s terrible at cap management

I’m assuming the bad contracts were Girardi,Staal and Hank? I guess Sather should’ve punted 13/14 season and started rebuild. Perhaps if GM during 15/16 put Staal who had serious ankle issues that year and Girardi(cracked knee cap) on IR. It would’ve solved the issue people whined about how AV didn’t use Yandle or McIllrath correctly. Everyone knew our D was banged up that season but the genius thought adding a Centre solved the issue. Step,Brass and Hayes with Moore on the 4th... Kreider,Nash,Zuc and Miller in top 6 but AV was at fault for misusing a Centre out of position while he was having a crappy year.
The ones you were complaining about him moving then filling in with cheap short term bodies: Girardi, Stepan and Sjkei. You were specifically saying it was bad to move those guys and fill their spots with cheap short term replacements. It wasn’t. Stepan and Sjkei both returned important assets.

Nothing about Smiths deal implies that they thought he was elite. He makes 4.3m, that’s not even close to what you pay an elite d-man. It’s a bad contract but you’re dramatizing the hell out of it.

I’m not even sure what you’re trying to get at with the bottom paragraph. My argument was that moving those guys and replacing them short-term with nothing guys is not a problem.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I actually agree with Jim Bob Rooster here. Johnson wasn't signed to make him a healthy scratch. He'll play on the 3rd pairing/PK. Maybe not 19/20 minutes a game but at least 17 minutes a game or so. If he is serviceable he'll get another short term contract. If he sucks, he's gone. Low risk in my opinion. Put it this way, I like this a lot better than the Schultz signing. That's dog's breakfast right there.
I mean, I don't really like the Schultz signing but I don't see how you can be happier with the guy that was actively dragging him down. It's like a tale of two players with and without Johnson, so unless this is a 5D Chess move to keep other players' contract demands low I really don't get what you could be happy with.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The deal is aight, doesn't matter. Short term and low $. But I'm worried he'll get too much ice-time.

Our LD's are: Lindgren, Hajek and Johnson... yikes.

On the right side it's: Trouba, Fox and DeAngelo.

Talk about a huge difference in quality.
if you need to balance it out a little, nj can send you carrick for fox.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
$11.50 for a bottle of Coors

8542j60b7qmz.jpg
with johnson in the line-up they might be able to sell the 100'000 bottles in one single game. if they play him all 41 home games, this could be profitable business.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Guess you gotta get to the cap floor some how... this is in line with what he worth... good for him
Only this team can make you so elated at the trade of Staal and replace him with a player as bad or worse. SMH. I really don’t see how this cash couldn’t have been spent on a guy like Girgensons or Grant or the plethora of other D men signed today but we should come to expect this kind of stuff. They added a guy that makes me wish we signed Matt Martin instead. Let that sink in

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I keep hearing that it is only a tad over a million, so how bad can it be?

Just wait until your coach inexplicably falls in love with him and plays him 25 minutes a game despite being demonstrably the worst defenseman in the league.

You all brought in Martin, right? He loves the guy.

That is the problem with him. You could easily bury him. But your coach won't.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Lindgren - Smith - Hajek/Miller/Johnson will likely be among worst left sides of a defense in hockey.

Fox - Trouba - DeAngelo is likely to be among the best right sides of a defense in hockey.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Only this team can make you so elated at the trade of Staal and replace him with a player as bad or worse. SMH. I really don’t see how this cash couldn’t have been spent on a guy like Girgensons or Grant or the plethora of other D men signed today but we should come to expect this kind of stuff. They added a guy that makes me wish we signed Matt Martin instead. Let that sink in
He will be Ok on the thrid pair with the right partner. He hits, Blocks and can kill penalties. He suffered playing eitj Shultz and that made it that much worse

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
The ones you were complaining about him moving then filling in with cheap short term bodies: Girardi, Stepan and Sjkei. You were specifically saying it was bad to move those guys and fill their spots with cheap short term replacements. It wasn’t. Stepan and Sjkei both returned important assets.

Nothing about Smiths deal implies that they thought he was elite. He makes 4.3m, that’s not even close to what you pay an elite d-man. It’s a bad contract but you’re dramatizing the hell out of it.

I’m not even sure what you’re trying to get at with the bottom paragraph. My argument was that moving those guys and replacing them short-term with nothing guys is not a problem.
Wasn’t complaining about them in fact you were the one saying he had to dump bad contracts as if he didn’t create the situation in the first place.

Girardi was bought out with cheap replacement Brendan Smith at 4.3 lmao. People blamed AV for Desharnais getting minutes because they wanted Lias and Chytil over him at 18.....

I agree 4.3 is not elite money but people complained about Staal and Girardi who were atleast NHL level talent unlike their replacements in Smith and Johnson. My issue isn’t dumping them but their replacements are always garbage.

Can you explain why before this past season Gorton during a rebuild refused to play Tony D? He brought in Shatty,McQuaid which bumped him into 7Dman role. Once again AV got blamed for that some reason.

My last paragraph is people make excuses for Gorton’s short comings. People trying to justify why he signed Jack Johnson,Cody McLeod,Michael Haley,Brendan Smith,Adam McQuaid. Eric Staal trade people said what a great deal but AV ruined him even though he had a crappy season.

What bad contracts did Gorton have to deal with? If you are saying Girardi,Staal and Hank that was the cost of doing business for Stanley Cup run. The big money core now is Kreider,Trouba,Panarin and Shattenkirk’s dead cap space. The only one worth their value is Panarin. Gorton created the issue and hopefully the get a Cup soon since he went all in last year and this coming season with those moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->