Confirmed with Link: NYR Fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So question for you guys. I know a lot of people, including Edge are concerned we'll trade away our youth for over the hill players but outside of Erat for Forsberg I can't really remember that many trades like that leaguewide since the salary cap has been installed. Are we concerned about something that just doesn't happen anymore?

The hard cap makes it less likely. UFAs at age 27. Different game.

Even the trade you mentioned didn't destroy the franchise. The Caps won a Cup. Nashville didn't. Forsberg's numbers are actually on the decline. He was a surefire All Star and there's now a chance Nashville moves him this offseason or next trade deadline.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Well most of those were for players in their late 20s, not the 35+ guys everyone concerned about. MSL I'll give you though.

I'm actually more concerned about the players in their late 20s that still haven't had the "fall off" yet but it would inevitably happen in year one or two in NY.

Someone like say Ondrej Palat that might seem like a wise investment in the moment but we all know how that would end.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It also worries me that guys like Kakko and Kravstov might be seen as Gorton’s picks and guys who haven’t lit the world on fire yet. Laf is safe I think being a 1OA and having more offensive flashes.
A legitimate concern, I agree. I really wish we would have looked into Kakko for Zegras after winning the Laf lottery. I’m definitely worried Kakko gets moved for a return we are mostly unhappy with.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
A legitimate concern, I agree. I really wish we would have looked into Kakko for Zegras after winning the Laf lottery. I’m definitely worried Kakko gets moved for a return we are mostly unhappy with.
I think we’d regret it big time, he’s going to be a very good, very complete player. I think a Mark Stone like career is a legitimately realistic outcome for him.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think there is another way to look at it, they had cap space for Panarin, Trouba, Kreider, Shattenkirk, Smith, ADA, Geo, etc, the buy outs of some of those, so perhaps the downside was making some of those contracts?
Every one of those decisions was made before the salary cap was frozen.

Hindsight is 20/20.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It also worries me that guys like Kakko and Kravstov might be seen as Gorton’s picks and guys who haven’t lit the world on fire yet. Laf is safe I think being a 1OA and having more offensive flashes.

Probably more Kravtsov than Kakko who also was a universal #2.

Reactions: haveandare

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I haven't been following this story so much since it happened but after reading up on it a little.....

I buy what Dolan is saying about the 'culture' thing. He got tired of the Rangers getting bullied, their goalies getting run and no one doing anything when people take liberties ont their star players. Didn't seem like a cohesive gruop of guys in those times. I know I was tired of it. Basically he called the team they built soft, which was true.

But where he totally loses me and everyone else is the 'ready to compete for a cup'. I don't know how much of that he legitimately believes or is just using it as media fluffer. But if he legitimately believes that and starts to influence the operation of the organization based on that belief, they're in big trouble.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I haven't been following this story so much since it happened but after reading up on it a little.....

I buy what Dolan is saying about the 'culture' thing. He got tired of the Rangers getting bullied, their goalies getting run and no one doing anything when people take liberties ont their star players. Didn't seem like a cohesive gruop of guys in those times. I know I was tired of it. Basically he called the team they built soft, which was true.

But where he totally loses me and everyone else is the 'ready to compete for a cup'. I don't know how much of that he legitimately believes or is just using it as media fluffer. But if he legitimately believes that and starts to influence the operation of the organization based on that belief, they're in big trouble.

but I think JD & JG were completely aware of the culture/toughness issues and were going to address them this offseason now that they had some cap space to work with. I don't disagree with the ideas behind what needs to change, I do have a hard time believing that fixing those things wasn't part of the plan anyway. the team we have no was far from the finished product that they envisioned. but with basically zero cap space the last 2 seasons, its what we had to deal with...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I honestly think that people are seriously overreacting to a statement that was just what you called "media fluffer". And as I said half the league competes for the Stanley Cup. He didn't say ready to win. The 8 seed competes for the Stanley Cup. Every playoff team does. Is that what he meant? No idea.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Agree with everything, and I've said the same things. The only thing I'd add is that a bunch of nerds can be a cohesive and close-knit group, getting bullied together.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
In my head JD got the word they were going to move on from Sam and he refused to do it. That's my truth, FTW.

Reactions: will1066

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
what does that have to do with the timeline? Miami has perhaps more glitz than Ny these days. Who cares? I’m posting about timeline here

Yeah, but no one really cares about hockey in Florida.. We show up in droves to tell management how much the Rangers suck, when they suck..

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
He was also just recently named the GM of the USA team for the Olympics so he has to be very highly thought of across all of hockey

Surely, you can see that is sarcasm.. Some things just stick and for me I will most remember Chris Drury for saying this quote, getting smoked by Chris Neil and having an abysmal point total..

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Every one of those decisions was made before the salary cap was frozen.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Really, I thought they extended/signed Strome, ADA, JJ, Rooney, Blackwell, Bitetto and bought out Lundqvist after the cap was known.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Did you want to play with 12 guys this year?

C’mon man!

No, what I am saying, if they can play ADA for 6 games then not play him, they could have used that cap space on bonus coverage. Similar for JJ. They could have seen about Lundqvist health before buying him out too, used LTIR?

As far as hindsight, that is the point of management, to look back and see they had good foresight, perhaps expecting the cap to go up all the time to cover their previously handed out contracts was a poor way of handling things, cause if the cap does not go up it looks bad in hindsight?

Last edited:
Reactions: Synergy27

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Surely, you can see that is sarcasm.. Some things just stick and for me I will most remember Chris Drury for saying this quote, getting smoked by Chris Neil and having an abysmal point total..
I cant remember the details but I remember Chris Drury who was not a fighter answering the bell when somebody went after Jagr.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
No, what I am saying, if they can play ADA for 6 games then not play him, they could have used that cap space on bonus coverage. Similar for JJ. They could have seen about Lundqvist health before buying him out too, used LTIR?

As far as hindsight, that is the point of management, to look back and see they had good foresight, perhaps expecting the cap to go up all the time to cover their previously handed out contracts was a poor way of handling things, cause if the cap does not go up it looks bad in hindsight?
Try something else. This ain’t working.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Did you buy a house in Miami in 2019? You should’ve.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Try something else. This ain’t working.

Gorton made choices for some time, JD came in and made choices, they spent a shit ton of money on contracts. The results against any team who was even slightly better than them sucked, and those who they spent a shit ton of money on were getting creamed. They had opportunities to do a much better job even while rebuilding.

If one, you, are going to try to pin entry level bonuses on their issues, that is weak sauce. Like they didn't know they were rebuilding and drafting players, who if they signed, would require potential bonuses to be covered?

They screwed up, the results speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille