Confirmed with Link: NYR Fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Something to think about as well is all of the off ice stuff that has happened this season. Rangers like to keep things tight lipped and keep their team in line. Dolan may have not been happy with what happen this seasons on and off the ice.
You know, I was thinking that myself. Why panarin took so much time off on an obvious Made up story, the ADA situation, Georgiev being terrible when he was obviously in demand last deadline, the kids slow develop ( not Gorts and jds fault covid hit) just compounded the situation. Demoting kreider after his new deal instead of motivating him and getting him back on track with zibby. There’s a lot of side stories with not a whole lot of details

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You know, I was thinking that myself. Why panarin took so much time off on an obvious Made up story, the ADA situation, Georgiev being terrible when he was obviously in demand last deadline, the kids slow develop ( no Gorts and jds fault covid hit) just compounded the situation. Demoting kreider after his new deal instead of motivating him and getting him back on track with zibby. There’s a lot of side stories with not a whole lot of details

Demoting Kreider was the right move. He's 30 years old he's shown he's not the type of player that gets motivated by coaches.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I didn't watch the pregame last game. What did Sam and Joe say about the firings? Also, kind of off topic for this thread but did they say anything about the statement and Wilson?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Demoting Kreider was the right move. He's 30 years old he's shown he's not the type of player that gets motivated by coaches.
I agree. But it’s just another situation that went on. Kreids longest cold streak of his career where he was almost useless

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I'm all for trading him if and when Schneider proves he can take on that role but so many people preaching toughness want to trade one of our 2 tough defensemen.

Sure, I get this sentiment.. But, many people have called for Trouba to be sent packing, it doesn’t make sense to send a player with his experience packing.. Especially when we have such a young defensive core..

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Anyone can have an opinion. I'm just pointing out there was much more than just the Georgiev alteraction and a lot of the stuff that happened, we aren't aware of but with Gorton and JD openly saying he was on his final warning just points to there being a bunch of issues that led up to that incident that turned out to be the final straw

What is so hard to accept about him being on his last straw and then getting into a fight?? It’s pretty cut and dry..

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, I know it's probably not really possible that it could happen but did anyone else think that Bettman fired JD and Gorton for the statement when you first heard of the firings?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
BTW, I know it's probably not really possible that it could happen but did anyone else think that Bettman fired JD and Gorton for the statement when you first heard of the firings?
Initially, I thought he fired them for not having sufficient force in the line up to deal with these things and protect his assets.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It’s funny to me if you read how many people on this board want Trouba traded.. Real hockey is not NHL 21.. Experience means something..

what’ really funny, putting it lightly, are the frauds who claimed this isn’t the 70’s and endorsed this team while ridiculing those who wanted grit and policemen to protect the kids. Where are they now? Endorsing grit?

Lol, frauds

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Yes regardless of how calculated this was or was not, the timing was horrible and appears to be a result of a hissy fit from dolan

Firing any executive or coach during a season is for an effect and firing an executive or coach with only 3 games left is to embarrass those being fired. Dolan is a petty person who only wields any power because his rich daddy put him in that spot. The exit interview justification is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I am not sayin JD or Gorton are above being fired but it would be nice if the organization wasn't dragged down to some classless level by the owner in the process.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
what’ really funny, putting it lightly, are the frauds who claimed this isn’t the 70’s and endorsed this team while ridiculing those who wanted grit and policemen to protect the kids. Where are they now? Endorsing grit?

Lol, frauds

Probably the same people who droned on and on for years about how analytics say face offs are meaningless. Then talk down to anyone with a different opinion.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Firing any executive or coach during a season is for an effect and firing an executive or coach with only 3 games left is to embarrass those being fired. Dolan is a petty person who only wields any power because his rich daddy put him in that spot. The exit interview justification is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I am not sayin JD or Gorton are above being fired but it would be nice if the organization wasn't dragged down to some classless level by the owner in the process.

The timing of the firings didn't make sense in the moment. And the more time goes by, the less sense it all makes. The reasons to wait til the off-season far outnumber the reasons to fire the GM and President with three games left in the season. It feels incredibly impulsive. Impulsive decision making from the top of a company just makes everyone below them depressed. It's like living with an unsteady alcoholic parent.

The entire team looks as if it's going through grief. Not for a lost season but for feeling like they're playing for a lost franchise.

There was a plan a week ago. And it's not to say Drury won't do his best to keep to the plan. But we all know that the plan has changed. That the Owner no longer trusts the plan. No longer believes in the patience JD spent two years talking about.

Must of us know Laf, Kakko, Jones, Miller, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, etc they need time. They need seasons before they hit their prime. Forcing trades because they're not playing up to their potential/prime years or asking them to carry the team prematurely is a surefire way to destroy the work of the last three seasons.

Drury at the presser said, he wants to win a cup. "A" cup???? Weren't we talking about building a team that can contend for a decade? WTF is this talk? A Cup?

Last thing Ill say on this:

If you're going into an off-season where you've telegraphed to the league you're going be aggressive in the trade market, it's generally not a good idea to put a rookie GM in charge of it. It's suddenly trading from a perceived weakness. We talk all the time about asset management. Good asset management more often than not requires trading from a position of strength. This move isn't that.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Not exactly but I had a similar enough thought that JD and Gorton were behind the statement and the NHL gave Dolan one of two options: fire them or you will receive the harshest penalty ever, like $5 million in fines and a forfeit of your 1st round pick the next 3 years

Reactions: CLW

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not exactly but I had a similar enough thought that JD and Gorton were behind the statement and the NHL gave Dolan one of two options: fire them or you will receive the harshest penalty ever, like $5 million in fines and a forfeit of your 1st round pick the next 3 years

Technically that could still be true.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The timing of the firings didn't make sense in the moment. And the more time goes by, the less sense it all makes. The reasons to wait til the off-season far outnumber the reasons to fire the GM and President with three games left in the season. It feels incredibly impulsive. Impulsive decision making from the top of a company just makes everyone below them depressed. It's like living with an unsteady alcoholic parent.

The entire team looks as if it's going through grief. Not for a lost season but for feeling like they're playing for a lost franchise.

There was a plan a week ago. And it's not to say Drury won't do his best to keep to the plan. But we all know that the plan has changed. That the Owner no longer trusts the plan. No longer believes in the patience JD spent two years talking about.

Must of us know Laf, Kakko, Jones, Miller, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, etc they need time. They need seasons before they hit their prime. Forcing trades because they're not playing up to their potential/prime years or asking them to carry the team prematurely is a surefire way to destroy the work of the last three seasons.

Drury at the presser said, he wants to win a cup. "A" cup???? Weren't we talking about building a team that can contend for a decade? WTF is this talk? A Cup?

Last thing Ill say on this:

If you're going into an off-season where you've telegraphed to the league you're going be aggressive in the trade market, it's generally not a good idea to put a rookie GM in charge of it. It's suddenly trading from a perceived weakness. We talk all the time about asset management. Good asset management more often than not requires trading from a position of strength. This move isn't that.

Especially because Gorton has generally done a very good job with his trades other than McDonagh and I guess the Staal trade

Now if Buffalo really feels they MUST trade Eichel, you bet your ass the Rangers are the first team they're calling, knowing they now have a meddling owner who is willing to sacrifice the entire future for a player like Eichel. Whereas in the past I always felt Gorton would be able to take Adams to the cleaners on any Eichel trade.

Now I'm seriously concerned this one trade could set us back a decade and even Eichel putting up 100 points 5 season in a row wouldn't offset the damage.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

i highly doubt anything gets released officially from the rangers like that without dolan's approval

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019

Lol, frauds

Goons and toughness are two separate things.. To me, Panarin showed toughness in that altercation.. The obvious problem is that Panarin is the one doing so..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00