Confirmed with Link: NYR Fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
The Rangers did try to bring players in this offseason, they were just turned down, a lot. Larry wrote about Chara. That was the tip of the iceberg. We know Granlund and Wennberg were contacted. Brian Boyle. Our insiders mentioned all these names.

Covid was very bad and remember, the Rangers are at a disadvantage because any vet that comes in here knows that they have to do a lot. The leadership core is week, the team is soft, and the coach isn't someone who inspires UFAs.

Add to the usual problems. New York is not as desirable a place to play for as it once was 20-30 years ago. High taxes, and there is no more lure. Sports in this region have been a nostalgia act the last 5-6 years. There's zero mystique to this region in the era of social media and Facetime.

In hindsight it would have been best to stay away from Shattenkirk and Smith and start rebuilding a year earlier.

That is just a bizarre take, given Fox and Trouba both forced themselves here, Kreider gave up money compared to what he was expected to get on the open market to stay here and Panarin left money on the table to come here.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It’s just amazing how people have switched their narrative from this team is overflowing with young talent, we’re the model franchise everyone dreams of, etc to its a dumpster fire of weaklings run by cowards and no one wants to play here.

All bc Tom Wilson did his usual bullshit he’s done 100 times before, and Dolan is a f***ing clown as usual.

To me, all of the events the past couple weeks has said more about the fan base than the team honestly.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I know Carp isn’t taking a shot at Larry but I did laugh at this snippet from his article this morning when you compare it to Larry’s column yesterday saying the complete opposite lol

The outgoing administration understood that playoffs this season wasn’t a reasonable expectation, as did most knowledgeable people.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know Carp isn’t taking a shot at Larry but I did laugh at this snippet from his article this morning when you compare it to Larry’s column yesterday saying the complete opposite lol

Very low expectations then. I feel like it's people who haven't updated expectations from Adam Fox being arguably the best defenseman in the league and Jacques Martin bringing in defensive structure to the team. I feel like it's just people that are negative for the sake of being negative but calling themselves "realists".

If a team with Hart, Norris, and Calder candidates as well as 3 other guys on pace for 70+ points shouldn't have expectations to make the playoffs, what team should?

Reactions: Shadowtron

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
That is just a bizarre take, given Fox and Trouba both forced themselves here, Kreider gave up money compared to what he was expected to get on the open market to stay here and Panarin left money on the table to come here.
I wish to apologize to everyone on the boards in advance because this subject has been beaten to death ad nauseam. So I grabbing a stick and gonna beat that dead horse.:deadhorse I have no opinion on JD. For the most part I believe Gorton’s wins outweighed his losses but last year’s trade deadline was criminal. For management to believe that our team was ready to compete because Shesterkin was on a great tare was being blind to reality and then to keep that narrative after him and Buchnevich were injured the eve before the deadline is just stupid.
Someone probably said “you know if your goaltender gets hot during the playoffs he can carry the team all the way to the finals” and then referenced some examples.
Gorton and co. should have explained to Kreider that he is an important part of the organization and that he will have a deal in place when his UFA kicks in. Tell him go and have fun, try and win a cup and you will always have a job with the team even after your playing days with us are over. Fast not being traded unfathomable. Any deal no matter how underwhelming is better than nothing. Same for Smith. ADA, there was issues raised about his fit with the Rangers long before the Georgiev incident. He could have been traded at his peak!
Review those four players an imagine what their returns would have been and what benefits those pieces and picks could be to the organization moving forward.
One of the saddest things in Hockey is a fringe playoff team believing they are something they are not, a contender.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Tbf I have NO idea why they were so dead set. Ok...not NO idea. I do have some small idea.

I don't know for sure but the organization is known for doing all sorts of little things to treat our players like absolute super stars. We were building this young core too so it's possible guys wanted to come be a part of that future.

For Panarin there might be a big "Russians in the city" factor. Flavor of home sort of thing.
For Trouba wasn't the decision highly reliant on his gf and her plans? Fox....yea i have no idea. That was just insane luck

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
They were the hottest team in hockey. It was one season after the Blues went from last to SC champions after January.
You dont just pull the tug from under a team. That is how u lose players and the locker room.

i do agree they shouldnt have re-upped kreider and just let him hit UFA.

rangers management was in a tight spot last year bc the team was playing too well.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
The big thing that gets me is then why did we hamstring our cap flexibility by bringing back Kreider? Why did we re-sign ADA to that contract when he was THAT close to getting cut. Why not re-sign Buch long term instead? Why did we bring in Panarin?

This team absolutely should have been at LEAST fighting for the POs. Which they were. But they also should have been giving young players opportunities at greater offensive responsibilities, should have been giving them PP time and should not have been making some of the same errors we've been making since Quinn season 1. That becomes doubly true if the old FO wants to pretend like the POs were a complete fantasy. OK then wtf why aren't we letting these young guys get bigger opportunities if we have no PO expectation?

You could go back to head scratching signings like Shattenkirk too. Yea, he gave us a good discount compared to what the market would have given him but even then a lot of people argued the market was totally out of whack for him. He also did not fit the whole rebuilding thing. Which the rebuild had to be in the back of our FOs head at the time

So many mixed messages sent by the FO moves

Last edited:

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

And he is right. The playoffs were not an expectation. They were a goal, a goal that they fell short of for many reasons. Nothing about where they finished in the standings should surprise anybody.

Reactions: haveandare

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It’s just amazing how people have switched their narrative from this team is overflowing with young talent, we’re the model franchise everyone dreams of, etc to its a dumpster fire of weaklings run by cowards and no one wants to play here.

All bc Tom Wilson did his usual bullshit he’s done 100 times before, and Dolan is a f***ing clown as usual.

To me, all of the events the past couple weeks has said more about the fan base than the team honestly.

but we do ‘t need grit b/c this isn’t the 70’s or 80’s.

Never mind how Carolina is built, how Dallas, St Louis and Boston played for years and what was missing from Tampa.

Some of the most outspoken lol culprits still don’t understand why Amonte and company were shipped out in 94.

Reactions: ponzu4u

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The big thing that gets me is then why did we hamstring our cap flexibility by bringing back Kreider? Why did we re-sign ADA to that contract when he was THAT close to getting cut. Why not re-sign Buch long term instead? Why did we bring in Panarin?

This team absolutely should have been at LEAST fighting for the POs. Which they were. But they also should have been giving young players opportunities at greater offensive responsibilities, should have been giving them PP time and should not have been making some of the same errors we've been making since Quinn season 1. That becomes doubly true if the old FO wants to pretend like the POs were a complete fantasy. OK then wtf why aren't we letting these young guys get bigger opportunities if we have no PO expectation?

You could go back to head scratching signings like Shattenkirk too. Yea, he gave us a good discount compared to what the market would have given him but even then a lot of people argued the market was totally out of whack for him. He also did not fit the whole rebuilding thing. Which the rebuild had to be in the back of our FOs head at the time

so true - are we rebuilding or not? Better yet, are we ready to win or not?

Resign, extend maintain veterans for winning yet preach how the youngsters may not be ready to win. So what do you do?

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Uncle Larry is right -- JD/JG set the bar too low this year, and there's no way they should have been allowed to set it below the playoffs again next year. The bar being set too low is exactly how you get to "David Quinn is doing a fine job and we want to bring him back next year," when he isn't doing a fine job, he's doing a mediocre job and he shouldn't be brought back next year.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

Yea, this is just bs. I think it's true for the Knicks because no player wants to get involved with Dolan, but NYR is still (very clearly) one of the most desirable locations for players. We've probably had more examples of getting players here in recent years simply for being the Rangers than any other team in the league. Panarin, Fox, Trouba, Hayes, Vesey, Shattenkirk, Richards, Nash, St. Louis, etc. etc.

The taxes is thing is so overblown.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Uncle Larry is right -- JD/JG set the bar too low this year, and there's no way they should have been allowed to set it below the playoffs again next year. The bar being set too low is exactly how you get to "David Quinn is doing a fine job and we want to bring him back next year," when he isn't doing a fine job, he's doing a mediocre job and he shouldn't be brought back next year.
He just made Drury a rookie GM and President, and Drury pretty clearly refused to set the bar at the playoffs for next year already.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

goes against why they resigned Kreider. He was the perceived top rental on the market and they resign him . . . so they can start winning maybe 2.5 years later?

Reactions: sbjnyc

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Talking about mixed messages: how about the 2017 offseason when Gorton traded Stepan, our best player at the most important position in the sport, a position we have been notoriously weak at since the lockout. That's a trade that should be move number one to kick off a rebuild, but instead 4 days later Gorton went out and made a win now put us over the top as a contender move in signing Shattenkirk.

When he should have been focused on trading McDonagh, firing AV and not kicking the can down the road.

And OH what do you know keeping Mac and being forced to trade him at the deadline with an extremely limited market and now having to compete for offers with another team trading the best defenseman of this generation?

And that is how you tank the value of your most important asset and box yourself into accepting a well below market value offer.

The second the horn sounded at the end of Game 6 against Ottawa is when the rebuild should have began instead of delaying the inevitable with AV being immediately fired for costing us that easily winnable series.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Talking about mixed messages: how about the 2017 offseason when Gorton traded Stepan, our best player at the most important position in the sport, a position we have been notoriously weak at since the lockout. That's a trade that should be move number one to kick off a rebuild, but instead 4 days later Gorton went out and made a win now put us over the top as a contender move in signing Shattenkirk.

When he should have been focused on trading McDonagh, firing AV and not kicking the can down the road.

And OH what do you know keeping Mac and being forced to trade him at the deadline with an extremely limited market and now having to compete for offers with another team trading the best defenseman of this generation?

And that is how you tank the value of your most important asset and box yourself into accepting a well below market value offer.
Definitely a good series of points. There really were a LOT of bad decisions made by JG

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Definitely a good series of points. There really were a LOT of bad decisions made by JG

We had been locked into a playoff matchup with the Penguins for months and it was obvious that 2016 team just didn't have it while the Penguins had been on a tear since January and were poised for a deep run, and instead of trading away Yandle and recuperating some much needed futures, Gorton not only keeps KY (and lost him for nothing as a trade the day before free agency), Gorton wasted two 2nd round picks and our only decent prospect to bring in Eric Staal...who his coach had no interest in properly utilizing anyway!!

Reactions: ponzu4u

fm

Jul 28, 2016
Obviously pressure from above to win now. Sign the big splash FA. The Hometown guy. Trade for Eric Staal.

It's always the owner.

Reactions: CLW

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
One person that has survived this mess that no one has talked about is Gordie Clarke. You know the guy responsible for the Lias Andersson fiasco among other bad draft picks. Does Drury get a new Director of Player Personnel? It would be very odd if we just have a new GM, but keep the head scout and head coach.

Reactions: mas0764

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
One person that has survived this mess that no one has talked about is Gordie Clarke. You know the guy responsible for the Lias Andersson fiasco among other bad draft picks. Does Drury get a new Director of Player Personnel? It would be very odd if we just have a new GM, but keep the head scout and head coach.
And plenty of good draft picks. No team has perfect drafts and Lias wasn’t a crazy reach despite not working out.

Reactions: JCProdigy

fm

Jul 28, 2016
I think Staal has been even worse for Montreal than he was as a Ranger. 3 points in 20 games.

AGREED! Totally cooked. Has sucked for years. Actually did OK when briefly on a line with Stalberg and Lindberg Back in 2015 or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad