Confirmed with Link: NYR Fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The bonus cushion really hurt the Rangers this year. In retrospect they had no choice but to find someone to take Stall and buyout The King. They never had a lot of financial wiggle room that they could use to strengthen the team. In a roundabout way, that was the downside of winning the lottery.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Contracts are contracts. Dolan is on the hook for at least $20MM.

A fortune for you and me. Beer money for him,

Not really. He's worth $2.5 billion that's about 1% of his net worth or $1,000 to someone who is worth $100,000. Not exactly beer money but won't put him the poor house either.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Love the optimism, I feel like there's a dark cloud over this franchise.

Does anyone know what Drury has done to earn his reputation? Not a sarcastic question, a literal question. I don't really know anything about is duties and achievements.

Drury didn’t let anything ruin his weekend..

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Two of the guys you mention are supposedly our number 1 and 2 centers. I like Zib but he is too inconsistent. As for Strome not a fan never have been and there needs to be a step up in talent for this position. But you are correct as they would have faced this decision with or without Gorton.

Zibby had Covid. To say he was inconsistent after returning from Covid is a bit unfair.. Would you say he was inconsistent the year before??

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Not only 30 points went away with ADA, it was also competitive fire and a nasty @Edge. I wholeheartedly believe ADA if he was on the ice during the Wilson incident wouldn't have hesitated for a second to rip him off Buch or cross checked him in the back and then put the shaft of his hockey stick across his face.

Why does it seem like Tony DeAngelo is the second coming of Bob f***ing Probert?? Tom Wilson (although we hate him) beats the ever living shit out of DeAngelo 99 times out of a 100.. I mean Georgiev would put up a better fight against Wilson..

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
if the Rangers were like the Avs both J.D and Gordon would still be here. Sakic has no timeline. Urgency has no patience so it’s tough to fleece others. Especially, unlike baseball, there is a hard cap.

Denver and New York are two completely different markets.. Denver isn’t exactly a glitzy city..

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Denver and New York are two completely different markets.. Denver isn’t exactly a glitzy city..
The Aves also suck at drafting outside the top 10. Granted them had some home runs with their early picks the rest of their roster isn’t home grown either. Sometimes it’s not always the best player you look for. Needs to be right for the right situation. Kadri was a very good trade, Nictuskin a great reclamation, but they also used Free Agency for outside help like the rest of the league. Salic has patience no doubt but they are coming to the point where they are going to have to pay everyone just like Tampa Boston caps etc good teams are going to always be tight against the cap at some point. The next 5-7 years is their wheel house much like ours

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Goons and toughness are two separate things.. To me, Panarin showed toughness in that altercation.. The obvious problem is that Panarin is the one doing so..

Two separate things are also toughness and bravery. Panarin isn’t physically tough for jumping Wilson from behind. He’s brave. And Wilson, Chara, the Islanders, Carolina, Boston etc are all tough and it doesn’t appear any of them have goons but they’re all tough. Wilson puts up more points than many of the Rangers finesse players. And toughness isn’t always throwing a body check.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

what does that have to do with the timeline? Miami has perhaps more glitz than Ny these days. Who cares? I’m posting about timeline here

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Demoting Kreider was the right move. He's 30 years old he's shown he's not the type of player that gets motivated by coaches.
Agreed

I agree. But it’s just another situation that went on. Kreids longest cold streak of his career where he was almost useless
Maybe he could have tapped into that motivation he found during his contract year. I felt that Quinn stuck with the KZB line too long. Especially when you consider Kreider got going while playing with Strome. A little mystified why he went back to that line so quick.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He's averaging less time with the Kings than he did with the Rangers. He is what he, but he isn't suddenly going to get you a better return. He's with his fourth organization for a reason.
Here's the thing I take issue with (& sorry I'm just getting caught up on reading your posts Edge)

Lemieux wasn't ever a 1st line player... Zbad is. When you have altercations and or straight up muggings, wanting Panarin or Zbad to answer those calls is foolish.

When you have no one in your lineup who can/will that's an issue.

I realize he may not have been on the ice during the Wilson riot, and Lemieux is NO deterrent, you still need someone (wish it was Kreider) to ring the damn bell at some point, answer the call, whatever analogy you want.

Wilson kills Buch and Bread... Wilson goes to box, Kreider or Lemieux come on the ice and you send a message to their best player(s). It's how hockey goes sometimes (sadly or not) and WE HAD/HAVE NO ability to do that because each and every single player on this team thinks they're Wayne f***ing Gretzky and no one says "I'm MOTHER f***ING MARTY McSORLEY"

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Wilson kills Buch and Bread... Wilson goes to box, Kreider or Lemieux come on the ice and you send a message to their best player(s).
But Lemieux never really did that. And, if roles matter on this team as Drury said, that's not what Kreider does.

It's how hockey goes sometimes (sadly or not) and WE HAD/HAVE NO ability to do that because each and every single player on this team thinks they're Wayne f***ing Gretzky and no one says "I'm MOTHER f***ING MARTY McSORLEY"
That's because Marty McSorely would never have a job in the league today.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
But Lemieux never really did that. And, if roles matter on this team as Drury said, that's not what Kreider does.

That's because Marty McSorely would never have a job in the league today.
Well yes, that's sort of my point.

You can't ask a kid to answer the call. Trouba was already removed by the Isles. There's no one left. I don't want Lemieux back... I also don't want EVERY team running roughshod over us EVERY night.

Kreider has been a puss since the Price infraction. His "role" is what? Stand in front of goalies on the PP? He always needed to be more and never has been (I own his jersey btw just so you know I am anything but a hater). I only mentioned him because we need him to have more than screening goalies. We need someone to get ejected and maybe suspended that we can live without for the time being.

No one on this team has that ability... not close.

Reactions: ponzu4u

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
MOST people need to be pushed. There's some that have it within themselves but it's the exception imo. We've becoming more 'perimeter' and 'finesse' ever since AV.... or was it since Gorton took over?

We need management DEMANDING certain things. It's non-negotiable. Something as simple as a body check on the forecheck goes a long way. It's a contact sport. We're just way too easy to play against. An occasional Trouba or Smith open ice hit is no where near enough

We talk about implementing a 'culture'... no one did that better than Torts. The foundation was laid for AV.

It took 6-7 years to undo that 'culture'. Now we're baby shit soft

Last edited:
Reactions: Cmox

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So question for you guys. I know a lot of people, including Edge are concerned we'll trade away our youth for over the hill players but outside of Erat for Forsberg I can't really remember that many trades like that leaguewide since the salary cap has been installed. Are we concerned about something that just doesn't happen anymore?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
So question for you guys. I know a lot of people, including Edge are concerned we'll trade away our youth for over the hill players but outside of Erat for Forsberg I can't really remember that many trades like that leaguewide since the salary cap has been installed. Are we concerned about something that just doesn't happen anymore?
I think people are concerned that precedent might be out the window all together. How many times have owners fired GMs and Presidents without warning with 3 games left in a season? If Drury has autonomy, a deal like that probably doesn’t happen, but does he have that? Nobody really knows yet.

I think it’s more likely guys like Buch and Strome are moved to bring in some more gritty high motor guys and to bump up Chytil and Kakko/Kravstov but we have no idea if the actual management thinks like that yet, it’s all kind of tbd.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

The Karlsson trade? Brassard for Zibanejad?
The Richards and Carter trades?

The Rangers with Marty SL lol

These are obviously not on the same scale as Forsberg or Erat but there was a lot of good young talent going the other way for players with a lot of tread on their tires.

And ironically the Sharks went to the WCF, the Sens to the ECF, the Kings won two Cups and the Rangers went to the SCF and ECF.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The bonus cushion really hurt the Rangers this year. In retrospect they had no choice but to find someone to take Stall and buyout The King. They never had a lot of financial wiggle room that they could use to strengthen the team. In a roundabout way, that was the downside of winning the lottery.

I think there is another way to look at it, they had cap space for Panarin, Trouba, Kreider, Shattenkirk, Smith, ADA, Geo, etc, the buy outs of some of those, so perhaps the downside was making some of those contracts?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think people are concerned that precedent might be out the window all together. How many times have owners fired GMs and Presidents without warning with 3 games left in a season? If Drury has autonomy, a deal like that probably doesn’t happen, but does he have that? Nobody really knows yet.

I think it’s more likely guys like Buch and Strome are moved to bring in some more gritty high motor guys and to bump up Chytil and Kakko/Kravstov but we have no idea if the actual management thinks like that yet, it’s all kind of tbd.

That’s exactly what we should all hope will happen. They are going to bring in motor and grit guys, the question is who will they move for them? People have legitimate worries that the current management group will pick the wrong ones.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That’s exactly what we should all hope will happen. They are going to bring in motor and grit guys, the question is who will they move for them? People have legitimate worries that the current management group will pick the wrong ones.
It also worries me that guys like Kakko and Kravstov might be seen as Gorton’s picks and guys who haven’t lit the world on fire yet. Laf is safe I think being a 1OA and having more offensive flashes.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Karlsson trade? Brassard for Zibanejad?
The Richards and Carter trades?

The Rangers with Marty SL lol

These are obviously not on the same scale as Forsberg or Erat but there was a lot of good young talent going the other way for players with a lot of tread on their tires.

And ironically the Sharks went to the WCF, the Sens to the ECF, the Kings won two Cups and the Rangers went to the SCF and ECF.

Well most of those were for players in their late 20s, not the 35+ guys everyone concerned about. MSL I'll give you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad