Confirmed with Link: NYR Fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I’m pretty sure the plan was to start really competing next year.
I didn't see it at the end of this season. In any event, my understanding from reading all this speculation was that JDJG were not necessarily expecting to be competing next season either. If the divisions stay the same who would we be better than? If we revert back to the Metro are we better or worse off trading Boston for Carolina and Buffalo for Columbus?

I dont mind Trouba or his contract. He eats up tons of minutes and seems to be a great steadying vet presence for our young guys. We all saw what happened when he went down.

he plays a good heavy game too and seems pretty durable
It seemed fine in a a vacuum but given the talk about when the rebuild is expected to end it just seems a curious decision IMO, both the trade and the contract since one without the other makes no sense.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I didn't see it at the end of this season. In any event, my understanding from reading all this speculation was that JDJG were not necessarily expecting to be competing next season either. If the divisions stay the same who would we be better than? If we revert back to the Metro are we better or worse off trading Boston for Carolina and Buffalo for Columbus?

It seemed fine in a a vacuum but given the talk about when the rebuild is expected to end it just seems a curious decision IMO, both the trade and the contract since one without the other makes no sense.
If the Rangers don't progress enough to where they can pass up one of the teams in front of them, that will be a major concern. That's why Dolan wants to speed this process up.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I think the team would have looked pretty different next year. The ridiculous surplus of softer skilled forwards wasn’t the endgame imo but we needed to see that the younger ones were viable at this level before we could move some of the older ones. Move Buch and bump up Kakko and Kravstov. Move Strome and bump up Chytil and maybe Barron. Use Buch, Strome and maybe even one of the surplus D prospects to add guys who are harder to play against and can play a heavier game. I think that sort of team could have definitely made the playoffs and start competing assuming the kids keep growing, which they should since they’re extremely young high-end prospects.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
But in the case of Wilson, Laviolette should feel there's enough of a deterrence or a threat to have to remind Wilson to keep himself in check.

But then please answer this question for me: Do you feel that The Islanders, the Bruins, the Blues, and the Pens have enough of a deterrence or a threat to have to remind Wilson to keep himself in check?

....because he's injured multiple players on all those teams. He hasn't even faced any real retribution from them either. That seems...undeterred.

When I watch Panarin and Zibanejad and Strome all doing magical shit, I'm always sort of left wondering, will we ever be really good while they're still doing this?

Yeah I don’t get how people can’t see this. Why sign Panarin if we’re rebuilding? Because he’s one of the best players alive and him being here help the kids both by not having the team built to rely on them and by giving them a superstar to play with. Imagine Laf and especially Kakkos rookie seasons if the team was built to rely on them to be top 6 scorers or there wasn’t a Panarin level talent to drive the ship while they adjusted

You'd also have to be a little naïve to think that Dolan didn't sign off on the letter/rebuild but say "Hey we still have to keep the lights on. We still have to sell tickets." Plus I really do think that they think Panarin will age well like Backstrom whose 33 right now and a point per game. I don't think they ever valued Strome as a long term solution and they were lukewarm on ZBad.

IMO, once those ping pong balls went the Rangers' way, their actual window to compete for the cup comes when Kakko and Lafreniere come of age ie 22+. They are the guys that will have to be the main scoring options with guys like Panarin, Fox and (??) complementing them in the top 5 scoring on the team.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Hindsight is 20/20 but spending ~6-7 mil on DeAngelo, Lemiuex & Johnson, none of whom finished the season with the team, and letting a tone setting vet like Fast walk to a division rival that kicked their ass in the bubble does not sit well with me

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Without knowing what the general attitude is in the Ranger fanbase, it can be pretty shocking to see a billionaire owner step in and remind the world that the team is his own play thing and he can do whatever he wants with it. The Rangers rebuild is going so well, it would be tough to see a sudden deviation from the plan as reaction to the events of this week's game against Washington.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Without knowing what the general attitude is in the Ranger fanbase, it can be pretty shocking to see a billionaire owner step in and remind the world that the team is his own play thing and he can do whatever he wants with it. The Rangers rebuild is going so well, it would be tough to see a sudden deviation from the plan as reaction to the events of this week's game against Washington.

Welcome to Rangerland.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
It was largely going so well because that same owner approved of a rebuild plan which resulted in a big selling off of assets and also lucked itself into two lottery wins. It was literally impossible for it not to be going well at this stage of it.

Reactions: ArPanet

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Maybe it's an elaborate lie but apparently he's been at least having concerns about management since like game 20 and it had nothing to do with those events. It's supposed to do with performance/culture. He said the timing was coincidental and the reason they were fired before the end of the season was to have Drury in there for exit meetings. One thing that really pisses me off is that if it's true it doesn't matter because it'll be forever the perception that Wilson's dirtiness caused these changes in the Rangers front office.

Reactions: Cmox and haveandare

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Hindsight is 20/20 but spending ~6-7 mil on DeAngelo, Lemiuex & Johnson, none of whom finished the season with the team, and letting a tone setting vet like Fast walk to a division rival that kicked their ass in the bubble does not sit well with me
I also think that quote from fast saying the canes are the hardest working team he’s ever played for cut deep. This is multiple time Steven McD winner and a key cog for the rangers for years here. Like I said all season and the Quinn guys dismiss it, losing games is fine as long as you work your hardest and learn from mistakes you make. Coming out repeatedly half dead with a horseshit effort on many nights is a good way to cripple your identity as a team

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Maybe it's an elaborate lie but apparently he's been at least having concerns about management since like game 20 and it had nothing to do with those events. It's supposed to do with performance/culture. He said the timing was coincidental and the reason they were fired before the end of the season was to have Drury in there for exit meetings. One thing that really pisses me off is that if it's true it doesn't matter because it'll be forever the perception that Wilson's dirtiness caused these changes in the Rangers front office.

It's going to be tortuous having to listen to knuckle-dragging, mouthbreathing Caps fans pratting on about "ToM wILSon GoT yOur FRont OFFiCe FirEd" for the next 5 years.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Except this isn't what this is.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yes regardless of how calculated this was or was not, the timing was horrible and appears to be a result of a hissy fit from dolan

I'm still concerned as hell about the future of this team at this point

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Yes regardless of how calculated this was or was not, the timing was horrible and appears to be a result of a hissy fit from dolan

I'm still concerned as hell about the future of this team at this point

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It's kind of like the wilson thing was the straw that broke the camel's back. So the decision might have been made already (anyone who knows me knows I'm not surprised by them being let go even if I personally would have given NexT season and think doing it now was completely wrong) but I don't think anyone should believe the timing was a coincidence

I don't believe that timing is a coincidence at all. Wouldn't be shocked if the decision had NOT been made but Dolan was on the fence and this pushed him over

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Trouba is also a good player, a bit overpaid, but it's no coincidence that the wheels kinda came off when he got injured
The defense is far worse without him

It’s funny to me if you read how many people on this board want Trouba traded.. Real hockey is not NHL 21.. Experience means something..

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It’s funny to me if you read how many people on this board want Trouba traded.. Real hockey is not NHL 21.. Experience means something..

I'm all for trading him if and when Schneider proves he can take on that role but so many people preaching toughness want to trade one of our 2 tough defensemen.

Reactions: haveandare

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Something to think about as well is all of the off ice stuff that has happened this season. Rangers like to keep things tight lipped and keep their team in line. Dolan may have not been happy with what happen this seasons on and off the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA