Confirmed with Link: [NYR/CAR] Joey Keane for Julien Gauthier

Do you like this trade?

• Total voters

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
You legitimately believed we’d get Sergachev or Point for McDonagh. That sounds like a you problem.

Say again?

Confirmed Trade: - [NYR/TBL] Ryan McDonagh & JT Miller for 2018 1st, 2018 2nd (Cond), Namestnikov, Howden & Hajek

Confirmed Trade: - [TBL/NYR] R. McDonagh, J. Miller for V. Namestnikov, B. Howden, L. Hajek, 2018 1st, c. 1st/2nd

Learn how to read and dont put words in my mouth.

Looks like I was right to "have a meltdown" and call the McD return a bunch of junk.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I remember when Lou and the Islanders ‘made Gorton look like a fool’ during the 2018 draft

Dobson >>> Kravstov ATM, ignoring position of strength. But when you are drafting that high you ignore that and go for the highest upside or else you end up with another McIlrath

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
It's a deal to address an organizational weakness by dealing from a position of strength. Keane has a reasonable chance at being a decent 2nd pairing defensemen in the NHL, but he's likely at least another two years away. He's also behind 3 high-end RD in the NHL with another high-end prospect in Lundkivst coming down the pipe.

Lots of "he's just big" talk in here, which is a pretty clear indicator of "I know very little about him" when it comes to Gauthier. He's not only big, but he has very good straight-ahead speed and an excellent shot. He bullies his way to the front of the net and works hard in the corners. There's definite 20+ goal upside and he gives the Rangers the potential for a high-end net-front presence to either play on the 2nd unit behind Kreider or take Kreider's place going forward.

He wasn't in a good position to ease in to the NHL with a playoff team like Carolina. He's in a much better position with the Rangers and I'd expect him to be in the lineup shortly.

Perfect way to put it!!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Meanwhile most reports have the Canes looking for D.

Odd way to address a logjam

They don't really have a logjam at RD. Pesce and Hamilton in the NHL. TVR is their 3RD. Then in the AHL they have a few 23 and 24 year olds who can't make it on the big squad, despite TVR being their 3RD.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So, does he step into the lineup right away?

So nice getting a right handed shot who’s primarily a goal scorer. Type of player a lot of people have been begging for forever. Now THIS is a guy who can leech off a Zbad or Panarin, much moreso than Fast
Idk, people are so into the habit of begging for that that they don't realize this team is way too right-handed as it is.

It's not a big deal, but definitely not something I'm looking for at this point.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
He does this literally every trade lol

That's false, I was over the moon to get what we got for Hayes, Nash and Grabner and to trade for Fox. The former 3 were easy trades to make and selling off top pieces as a rebuilding team is always a huge win.

I was right to meltdown over the McDonagh trade. Posters here actually thought we were getting BOTH Point and Sergachev

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I really don't think people understand the unique package of skill, speed and size that Gauthier provides.

Yeah, why not give that a shot. Adding size is what this team needs. Adding size AND SPEED is what every team craves. With the likes of Zib, Barron, Chytil up front Gorts and JD are trying to build a tough, skilled team to play against.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Might it be possible that Keane asked for a trade? Trouba, Fox, Tony, Lundkvist... not much room for him here
20 year old rookies dont force trades.
My hunch on how this came down was Gorts i nquiring about Gauthier, and Keane being the cost

Reactions: NYROrtsFan

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Organizational weakness/ position of strength can change so quickly though

You're just never going to be 4 or 5 guys deep at every position. When you feel confident about it you need to strike quickly. Sometimes players look great as "depth" and never materialize as actual contributors. Furthermore, the odds of Keane ever getting a real look here was very slim. What good is a guy who might be a NHL player if there's almost no path to even show he's an NHL player that doesn't include a major trade or major injury?

Gorton did a great job here of turning a blocked-maybe into an unblocked maybe. That's a critical move for a rebuilding team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad