Confirmed with Link: [NYR/CAR] Joey Keane for Julien Gauthier

Do you like this trade?

• Total voters

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's a deal to address an organizational weakness by dealing from a position of strength. Keane has a reasonable chance at being a decent 2nd pairing defensemen in the NHL, but he's likely at least another two years away. He's also behind 3 high-end RD in the NHL with another high-end prospect in Lundkivst coming down the pipe.

Lots of "he's just big" talk in here, which is a pretty clear indicator of "I know very little about him" when it comes to Gauthier. He's not only big, but he has very good straight-ahead speed and an excellent shot. He bullies his way to the front of the net and works hard in the corners. There's definite 20+ goal upside and he gives the Rangers the potential for a high-end net-front presence to either play on the 2nd unit behind Kreider or take Kreider's place going forward.

He wasn't in a good position to ease in to the NHL with a playoff team like Carolina. He's in a much better position with the Rangers and I'd expect him to be in the lineup shortly.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Lol, just because I'm going against the grain of some of the kiss asses that change their perspective based on the moves this team makes I'm having a meltdown?

Remember when everyone here was so convinced we were getting Point or Sergachev for McDonagh and then when the real return was announced everyone was like "this is fine, Howden will be great" instead of standing firm with their belief that it had to be Point or bust?

So yeah, dont blame me for not agreeing with the consensus here.
Point for McDonagh lol

BLEETCH1994

Jun 11, 2019
Dug Keane, but I am pleased with this. Dealing from strength to shore up the rest. And we now know JG is working the phones.

Squarp

Ranger for Life
Feb 19, 2012
Might it be possible that Keane asked for a trade? Trouba, Fox, Tony, Lundkvist... not much room for him here

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I really like the deal, I liked Keane a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the better player but we needed size and scoring up front, Gauthier fits our timeline, I'd love to see them put him with Panarin and Strome, some size and shooting to go on that line.

Reactions: egelband

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It's a deal to address an organizational weakness by dealing from a position of strength. Keane has a reasonable chance at being a decent 2nd pairing defensemen in the NHL, but he's likely at least another two years away. He's also behind 3 high-end RD in the NHL with another high-end prospect in Lundkivst coming down the pipe.

Lots of "he's just big" talk in here, which is a pretty clear indicator of "I know very little about him" when it comes to Gauthier. He's not only big, but he has very good straight-ahead speed and an excellent shot. He bullies his way to the front of the net and works hard in the corners. There's definite 20+ goal upside and he gives the Rangers the potential for a high-end net-front presence to either play on the 2nd unit behind Kreider or take Kreider's place going forward.

He wasn't in a good position to ease in to the NHL with a playoff team like Carolina. He's in a much better position with the Rangers and I'd expect him to be in the lineup shortly.

Organizational weakness/ position of strength can change so quickly though

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Man I really liked Keane. But I didn’t really love him. It’s so funny, because I was actually reading up on Gauthier a few days ago and I liked what I saw. I love his tools and his shot was NHL-ready for a while. This is a good trade. Exactly what Gorton needed to do. I doubt Gauthier ever becomes an impact player, but I see a middle 6 guy. Bravo Gorton.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
how can you not like this deal. very creative deal for jeff grotons.

ADD

a former #1 pick. very good skating big man with nice hands whos young and fits our cap and adds exactly what we lack which is some size in this top 9

PP crease guy for sure. big body hard to move, replacing some dude named kris chreider perhaps ?

we want young NHL ready players who can help fill a need right ? got one here.

REMOVE

anther righty dman who probably has upside but there aint no room. 'nuf said.

nothing guaranteed BUT, this is gortons sweet spot right here. hockey deals and hes been VERY GOOD at this type of deal.

i approve.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Lol, just because I'm going against the grain of some of the kiss asses that change their perspective based on the moves this team makes I'm having a meltdown?

Remember when everyone here was so convinced we were getting Point or Sergachev for McDonagh and then when the real return was announced everyone was like "this is fine, Howden will be great" instead of standing firm with their belief that it had to be Point or bust?

So yeah, dont blame me for not agreeing with the consensus here.
I remember when Lou and the Islanders ‘made Gorton look like a fool’ during the 2018 draft

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I loved Gauthier his draft year. Thought he fell off a bit but having a good year in ahl, I like

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad