Confirmed with Link: [NYR/CAR] Joey Keane for Julien Gauthier

Do you like this trade?

• Total voters

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Gauthier actually reminds me of Kreider. Great straight ahead speed, some power to his game but not exactly a hitting machine. He has good hands and will score goals due to his speed and shot. He is not a playmaker, like Kreider isn't, but is solid on the boards and can cycle.

If he becomes Kreider 2.0 I'll take it!

At age 22, like Gauthier, Kreider had also not played a full NHL season yet; just getting some games in. Spent their 21st year in the AHL as a rookie, and then split time between AHL/NHL at age 22.

They were taken within 2 picks of each other during their respective draft years.

There are a lot of similarities.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He doesn’t look like a good passer, but a shoot-first, north-south player is just what the doctor ordered. If this kid does nothing but carries the puck as the crow flies to the net, that works for me. Not getting my hopes up for anything other than a #3/4RW ceiling.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It's also possible that the Canes f*cked up.
Friedman touched on the trades on his podcast today and said that Gauthier was seen as a sweetener to get a bigger trade done and he thinks Carolina looked around the market and had decided that none of the bigger moves they’d include him in made any sense and decided to trade him, seemingly to get out ahead of the waivers thing next year and this was the thing that made the most sense right this second for them

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's also possible that the Canes f*cked up.
Yeah, like Ryan Graves here. Not the same circumstances, of course, as Graves had stagnated in his development, but at the time Bigras seemed like a decent swap. It looked like a fair change-of-scenery deal for two fringe prospects. Now, Graves is doing what he's doing in Colorado--the+/- thing is an aberration, but he's more than the #6/#7 I said he'd become for sure--and Bigras left the organization. We clearly made a mistake in assessing our own guy there. It happens.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Panarin - Strome - Buchnevich
Kreider - Zibanejad - Gauthier
Lemieux - Chytil - Kakko
Gettinger - Howden/PDG - Fast

I want to try this. Gauthier needs a playmaking center like Zibanejad who can also play a two-way game. Kreider is also a good passer. Good line mates and somewhat sheltered minutes. Make that the 2nd line and see how he does. It could work.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah, like Ryan Graves here. Not the same circumstances, of course, as Graves had stagnated in his development, but at the time Bigras seemed like a decent swap. It looked like a fair change-of-scenery deal for two fringe prospects. Now, Graves is doing what he's doing in Colorado--the+/- thing is an aberration, but he's more than the #6/#7 I said he'd become for sure--and Bigras left the organization. We clearly made a mistake in assessing our own guy there. It happens.
Graves is never on the ice with anyone besides Makar/MacKinnon/Rantanen/Landeskog.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
All the canes fans I've talked to dislike the trade, they think Gauthier got a raw deal with Carolina.
Hockey fans are all different, but the one thing that unites them all is they think all their prospects are infallible and are being held back by their coaching staffs and management.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

It’s not really a mistake when the improvement is the result of the move. Graves, as you said, stagnated. More than likely, the trade is what jolted him out of that stagnation. Had they kept him, that jolt never happens and he doesn’t take that step forward.

It’s a little bit chicken and egg, but I think the Rangers were probably right in their assessment of Graves at the time. He wasn’t NHL ready when he was in the organization.

And I think that’s what separates the situation from the one with Gauthier. My personal opinion here, but every time I saw the Checkers this year I thought he looked NHL ready. I didn’t think that last year, though I did notice him. Though all of last year I kept wondering why Necas was still down in the A. I said this earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating. Canes fans have some frustration with young players staying in the minors for too long. My own anecdotal evidence agrees with that.

Im not predicting that Gauthier is going to turn into a huge steal. You know by now that I’m not into making strong predictions. I just think there are some differences between the situations. It’s more likely the Canes made a “mistake” here than the Rangers did with Graves.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I dont know that Canes made a mistake, they made a choice
Gauthier will be waivers vulnerable next season, Keane not for many more.
Canes have a young corps of proven or close young forwards - Svech, Necas, ...
I am glad Gorts took a chance w Gaut, but there will be fury here if NYR tries to demote him and he gets claimed.
I will be hoping he earns a spot, his upside is compelling, and his skills and style, if he's good enough, should make NYR a deeper and harder-to-play team

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I dont know that Canes made a mistake, they made a choice
Gauthier will be waivers vulnerable next season, Keane not for many more.
Canes have a young corps of proven or close young forwards - Svech, Necas, ...
I am glad Gorts took a chance w Gaut, but there will be fury here if NYR tries to demote him and he gets claimed.
I will be hoping he earns a spot, his upside is compelling, and his skills and style, if he's good enough, should make NYR a deeper and harder-to-play team

Well, the “mistake” wouldn’t be making this trade, it would be having not given him a proper chance at the NHL. Waivers is only a factor if the player isn’t an NHL player... and I think he likely is.

I put mistake in quotes, because it’s only based on my own perception of the player combined with Canes fans’ complaints.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He doesn’t look like a good passer, but a shoot-first, north-south player is just what the doctor ordered. If this kid does nothing but carries the puck as the crow flies to the net, that works for me. Not getting my hopes up for anything other than a #3/4RW ceiling.

In Chicago, there was someone streaking down the middle with him on the rush and his centering pass was a good 10 feet off the mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->