Confirmed with Link: [NYR/CAR] Joey Keane for Julien Gauthier

Do you like this trade?

• Total voters

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Highest upside according to Gordie Clark, who also thought McIlrath and Andersson were good ideas so yeah I dont have unblinding trust in this management when it comes to prospects. Even worse they viewed Howden as the crown jewel of the McDonagh return.

When they actually draft a high end elite player of their own then they'll have my undying loyalty.
Kakko. Now GTFO.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I like the strength for weakness trade although I'm a little nervous by the fact that Gauthier has essentially zero NHL experience to date. Yes I know power forwards take longer.
Yeah but it's not like we traded a roster player. It was a decent prospect for decent prospect. Almost no risk with this trade.

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
Right, so maybe I'm right to not just go with the status quo of every move is fine especially when this organization doesn't necessarily have the best track record when it comes to the handling of prospects

You're going in circles though. In one post you state that wanting Point or Sergachev for McDonagh was unrealistic but then you say what they actually got wasn't enough.

I think the problem you are overlooking is that Gorton was essentially screwed given the situation he was dealt and was never going to get what some believe to be full value for McDonagh because other teams knew this. The best Gorton could hope for was a bidding war between multiple teams to even approach full value; however, this was never going to happen because of all the question marks surrounding McDonagh's health and whether or not he truely was a 1A or closer to a 1B/2A.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I like the strength for weakness trade although I'm a little nervous by the fact that Gauthier has essentially zero NHL experience to date. Yes I know power forwards take longer.

Just because hes got that size does not mean he is a true power forward, his game is very different than say a Lemieux, kid can shoot the puck and his game mostly revolves around that

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Kakko. Now GTFO.

Lol let's see some consistent production before we call him a high end elite talent. I dont doubt that's coming, I think he will have a huge finish to the season to set him up for a massive breakout 2020-21, but until that happens we should also reserve judgement

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Right on to all y'all throwing Gauthiers name out there for A WHILE.

Excited, as I think keane never had a shot on this club and woulda been straight buried for no reason.

Reactions: Crease

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I know nothing at all about Gauthier...

Keane was having a great year but always seemed like a guy who probably was never going to be as good as Fox or DeAngelo and tops out as an OK 2nd pairing puck mover

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
"From the New York Rangers, the Seattle Totems select forward Julien Gauthier"

Even that would not be a very bad thing.
Seattle is going to claim someone.
NYR can only lose one.
But they will lose one.
If a Gauthier claim means Lindgren, Howden, Hajek Skjei, etc not picked, maybe NYR not hurt to badly.
IMHO, whoever they lose, NYR wont be hurt too badly.
As soon as its over, Expansion Draft will be quickly forgotten as nonevent

Reactions: egelband

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Should their be concern that he has virtually no NHL experience at this age?

No but reasonable expectations are important. He came damn close to making the team out of camp, but the Canes became a legitimate top team in the east this season. So he's had a harder time breaking in now that the expectations for Carolina have been ratcheted up.

He can play in our bottom six right now, but there's going to be some adjustment needed.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Highest upside according to Gordie Clark, who also thought McIlrath and Andersson were good ideas so yeah I dont have unblinding trust in this management when it comes to prospects. Even worse they viewed Howden as the crown jewel of the McDonagh return.

When they actually draft a high end elite player of their own then they'll have my undying loyalty.
And like I said in 2018, feel free to go become and Islanders fan whenever you want

Reactions: Kupo

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I really liked Keane but with our embarrassment of riches at RHD in the pipeline this was the exact kind of deal to make. Turn some of our D prospects into forwards.

Happy with this move.

Reactions: Kupo

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
You're going in circles though. In one post you state that wanting Point or Sergachev for McDonagh was unrealistic but then you say what they actually got wasn't enough.

I think the problem you are overlooking is that Gorton was essentially screwed given the situation he was dealt and was never going to get what some believe to be full value for McDonagh because other teams knew this. The best Gorton could hope for was a bidding war between multiple teams to even approach full value; however, this was never going to happen because of all the question marks surrounding McDonagh's health and whether or not he truely was a 1A or closer to a 1B/2A.

That is why he should have kickstarted the rebuild right then and there as soon as the horn sounded to end Game 6 against Ottawa, instead of that weird in between shit trading away Stepan but then signing Shattenkirk a few days later.

You'd have to think a lot more teams would have been interested in McD in the 2017 offseason as opposed to the 2018 TDL were most teams aren't looking to make a blockbuster of that magnitude

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Right, so maybe I'm right to not just go with the status quo of every move is fine especially when this organization doesn't necessarily have the best track record when it comes to the handling of prospects
I'm pretty sure recess is over and you might want to get back to class... isn't that the vice principal over there by the cafeteria ladies looking your way?

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Quick reax:

Liked Keane a lot. Above average puck mover/skater and is solid at separating the player from the puck. He should make the NHL in some capacity and I hope he has a better career than MDZ for example.

That said, with Lundkvist coming as early as the fall it was hard to see where Keane fits even if one of the other righties plays left. We weren't going with 5 righties on the NHL roster.

As for Gauthier. He's one of those guys that tended to stand out when we played the Checkers. He's around the puck a bunch. Def helps with puck possession, at least in the A.

We'll see how he pans out at the next level. BUT, what I like about him. He could be a Tyler Toffoli type. Middle six guy who plays a heavy game and chips in a decent amount of goals. He is likely a better option than Pepe on PP2 in front of the net. Regardless of what happens with Kreider or Fast, this is the kind of guy the Rangers should be targeting.

I think this is more about getting a young player that fits the identity of the team Gorton is trying to build than anything else. And from that standpoint, it's a good move.

Finally, look at the last 3 games were against the Wild, Bruins and CBJ. All of them play a heavy game. And you could see by the Bruins game, the team was worn down. A bigger, faster bottom 6 will make us a nightmare to play against one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad