Confirmed with Link: Nyquist signs with CBJ (4 years, $5.5M AAV)

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

guy seems money on the breakaway from videos I've watched.. something the Jackets are in dire need of.. someone actually capable of converting on the breakaway (looking at you boone jenner).

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Fan of this signing. The way he plays and how good he is will definitely lessen the hit from losing Panarin.

Here is a post of my "wish list" from a month ago.....

If anybody cares, here's my wish list of what I believe would be useful AND realistic players.

1)Duchene 2) Eberle 3) Nyquist 4) Lee ------- 5) Zuccarello 6) Ferland 7) Connolly ---------
8) Tynan 9) Brassard 10) Hayes 11) C.Wilson ----------- 12) Dzingel 13) Donskoi 14)Panik --------- 15)Filppula 16) Simmonds
thebus88, Jun 8, 2019

Knowing what we know now about Duchene, you could say this is the best case scenario. Not sure why I put Eberle at #2, however I would still take him or Ferland.

Nice offensive player. And while he's no Jenner or Anderson, he plays the right way most of the time and will go to the dirty/dangerous areas.

We might have something here with Nyquist-Dubois-Atkinson. I cant speak any more highly of Dubois, and the speed/skill combo of Nyquist/Atkinson could be very dangerous on the rush.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
I really like Nyquist, but Nyquist by himself is not enough.

That being said, the Jackets have their full warchest of picks, a boat load of space, and young guys coming up. If they can keep themselves in the race somehow, the Jackets could be deadly during deadline time.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
It may just happen that Gus makes someone blossom or click with a linemate or something. If indeed he wanted to be here then he's a guy I'll throw full support behind. It's an amazing game and sometimes a guy can ignite a fire. At least let's hope so...

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
After spending all that time in Michigan, of course he did! ;)

Well, it is the closest NHL city without having to play on the shit Red Wing team or having to deal with the "knowledgeable" and "hard nosed" hockey fans from (the suburbs of-to be clear) Detroit.

I'm fully confident Nyquist will love both the zoo and the Blue Streak.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“Columbus was a team I was eyeing the whole time (in free agency), a team that was involved throughout the process,” Nyquist said. “It was stressful, but I’m really glad it ended up here and I’m excited to get going.

“I’m sure the media will talk about (the players who left), but we want to prove that there are some other guys here. I’m one of the guys who will try to come in and fill those holes. I’m sure everybody will be excited to keep on building on what they’ve done in the last few years. I have no doubt that we’re going to be a very good team.”

Blue Jackets sign Gustav Nyquist to help boost top line...

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

Of course he was eying Columbus. Money to spend and needed offensive players to somehow get back points that they would lose from Panarin departing. Joking aside, I'm glad he wants to be here. Like the signing. Not super expensive and 4 years isn't too bad. I was expecting 6x6. Hopefully he has those shifts where he just dangles with the puck in the offensive zone for a while before scoring.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Of course he was eying Columbus. Money to spend and needed offensive players to somehow get back points that they would lose from Panarin departing. Joking aside, I'm glad he wants to be here. Like the signing. Not super expensive and 4 years isn't too bad. I was expecting 6x6. Hopefully he has those shifts where he just dangles with the puck in the offensive zone for a while before scoring.

holy moly what a shift.
had never saw that before. :amazed:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Reminds me of Yzermans goal... But a lot more skating around

Reactions: punk_o_holic

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
After spending all that time in Michigan, of course he did! ;)

To add to this, besides this past year where I watched mainly CBJ games, I've seen a lot of Red Wing/Nyquist games. Nyquist is good. Always been a much better overall player than the comparable "scoring winger" Tatar. Also, in relation to the Tatar's, Duchene's, Panarin's and Zuccarello's of the world, and while I don't want or expect him on the PK, I don't think its accurate to consider him "soft" or a "defensive liability", or whatever.

I also really think he plays better with a bigger role. He's fine on the LW so the Nyquist-Dubois-Atkinson line seems like a no brainer, and that is still AT LEAST top 15 in the league for 1st line, IMO. He is just as good of a set up man as he is a scorer.

Other than Panarin, I'm really not sure he's not the best possible fit for the team going forward, Duchene and Zuccarello (and others) included. I'm perfectly fine as Jenner as our 2C or 3C (whatever you want to call it as Boone will still get PK and probable PP time and play huge TOI anyway) as he can play both an offensive and defensive style. The Nash-Dubi combo seemed to find their chemistry at the end of the year and are better built for defensive or grinding 4th line and PK type minutes.

That leads us to....(hopefully 1 day) "the all purpose DUMP Wennberg thread"....sorry, NO we're not bringing in Nyquist to play with Wennberg, like we supposedly did with Panarin…...HAHAHA, remember that narrative!?!

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Its all going to depend on how he gets along with Tortz. People will mention Panarin, Panarin put up 80 points, so a little more leash to work with. Nyquist isnt a 2 way forward, dont expect him to be and we'll be fine, expect it and we'll likely be disappointed

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It was me. Glad to see that is the plan. Frees up Tex to take a shot at 2 LW.

Tex-Wennie-OB a bit scary as a 2nd line (and not in a good way)

So get Wennberg OUTTA THERE.

Texier-Jenner-Bjorkstrand is fine.

BUT in 2019/20

Anderson-Jenner-Bjorkstrand gets thrown over the boards, whenever or wherever, and does it all.

IN THEORY, Bemstrom-Wennberg-Texier could work in a sheltered offensive role. Unfortunately mostly everything positive regarding current Wennberg ends after the theory stage. With that said, if Wennberg were to be moved, we could fill his role on that offensive/rookie line with "many" cheaper offensive options throughout the league and UFA, and/or Foligno may very well be a "perfect" center for the 2 rookies anyway when the team is fully healthy. I think with injury I'd want to see Dalpe get a look. I want to see him in over Wennberg as is.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
While this thread isn't overly negative, and I'm not surprised as with most current CBJ related subjects, but why does is seem like A LOT of people are not excited about this signing?? I mean, I'm really trying to get a grasp of the expectations that people have regarding all different aspects of the CBJ. Were people always going to act this way when Panarin left? The odds of getting somebody as good as him were essentially ZERO. And my god, Duchene was barely even apart of the team. If Jarmo never went out of his way to get him (for not much) you couldn't and wouldn't attack Jarmo (and the CBJ) for him not signing with the CBJ.

Its like any player hypothetically signed below a certain amount of money is "not good enough" and any player signed over a certain amount is "overpaid". That is unless people have developed some ridiculous personal affection for a guy that affects their judgement of his actual play and worthwhile cap hit, ala Bobrovsky.

Lets be clear here.

Panarin > Nyquist ----- Nyquist >> Vanek ----- Nyquist >> Vanek and Cole

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That leads us to....(hopefully 1 day) "the all purpose DUMP Wennberg thread"....sorry, NO we're not bringing in Nyquist to play with Wennberg, like we supposedly did with Panarin…...HAHAHA, remember that narrative!?!

I agree with that but comparing the "narratives" is a bit unfair, as Panarin was brought in coming off Wennberg's successful season, when it was hoped by many he would continue to develop into at least a 1B type center. So Panarin was thought to perhaps help continue that elevation. It didn't work, of course, and we're looking at a different Wennberg now.

That said, I'm open to the notion that there could be chemistry there (Gus & Alex) but I'm not counting on it and I'm certainly not hoping for it.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
While this thread isn't overly negative, and I'm not surprised as with most current CBJ related subjects, but why does is seem like A LOT of people are not excited about this signing?? I mean, I'm really trying to get a grasp of the expectations that people have regarding all different aspects of the CBJ. Were people always going to act this way when Panarin left? The odds of getting somebody as good as him were essentially ZERO. And my god, Duchene was barely even apart of the team. If Jarmo never went out of his way to get him (for not much) you couldn't and wouldn't attack Jarmo (and the CBJ) for him not signing with the CBJ.

Its like any player hypothetically signed below a certain amount of money is "not good enough" and any player signed over a certain amount is "overpaid". That is unless people have developed some ridiculous personal affection for a guy that affects their judgement of his actual play and worthwhile cap hit, ala Bobrovsky.

Lets be clear here.

Panarin > Nyquist ----- Nyquist >> Vanek ----- Nyquist >> Vanek and Cole

...what? What a random list of players. Let me try.

Panarin > Nyquist > Brule > Fritsche > Marchant > Berard > Clitsome > Andrew MacDonald

People aren't jumping over the moon and stars because we got worse yesterday, even with Nyquist. People like the signing, but it's still not great we lose Duchene and Panarin. Yes, we all knew it was coming, and yes it is good we addressed the issue by picking up a top 6 forward. But it's not like Nyquist is changing the tide here. He's a solid player, and hopefully he fits in. But he's closer to Dzingel than Duchene or Panarin. That's why people aren't "excited."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad